Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Picked this up the other day.  It's rare to see Garnets of the bigger wattage variety on Ebay at all, let alone have them show up in my own home town.  This is essentially a BTO without all the peripheral effects - The tremolo and Stinger circuit, which were never all that great anyway.  The amp is awesome - 120 watts of beefy sparkle.  I'd been out of the GAS camp for a few years, but this purchase has rekindled some interest.

I put a 3 prong on it and ran the 4 ohm tap to the extra speaker jack (considering that most cabinets these days have parallel jacks, this made sense to me).  The choke transformer dates back to 1970 for reference as to the year.  I imagine that it's around there somewhere.  It makes now 5 Garnets in the Husky quiver.
Vinyls.   deal.

Corey Y

Just picked up an Ampeg 410HLF, so I have a more easily portable alternative to my 810 when I want to jam. Also got a Boss LS-2, to use as a clean blend so I can get more low end with my Vintage Rat. Tried it out last night and it did the trick perfectly.

Pissy

Quote from: Corey Y on June 06, 2012, 10:39:20 AM
Just picked up an Ampeg 410HLF, so I have a more easily portable alternative to my 810 when I want to jam. Also got a Boss LS-2, to use as a clean blend so I can get more low end with my Vintage Rat. Tried it out last night and it did the trick perfectly.

I did this blending for the recording of our next album. Pretty cool stuff. I did it with a boss tu2 split out to my 120 watt and a 50 watt with a less efficient cab. Pure bliss.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Quote from: Pissy on June 06, 2012, 11:48:04 AM
I did this blending for the recording of our next album. Pretty cool stuff. I did it with a boss tu2 split out to my 120 watt and a 50 watt with a less efficient cab. Pure bliss.

It really is such a simple fix for expanding what sort of bass tones I have at my disposal. I have a pile of fuzz, od and distortion pedals. Some work great for bass, some sound great on their own but disappear in a mix, some make great tones but lose all the low end. I've never bothered with bass specific dirt pedals, since they mostly sound like crap, but I had spent almost all of last year looking at some of the newer boutique stuff out there that people rave about. Almost all of them come down to just being a well known pedal I already own with a clean blend built in. So I figured I'd save myself some money and just buy a cheap blend. I thought about going the Xotic X-Blender route, but they run about $180 and the LS-2 was $60 shipped used. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I don't need them anyway.

Lumpy

LS-2 is like a swiss army knife. Even if it isn't the ultimate tool for a job, it lets you test out a concept before shelling out big bucks for designer pedals. It does like 87 different things.

How do you like the 4x10 HLF? Do you play a 5 string or downtune? How does it handle the low notes compared to your 8x10?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

SUNNO)) it's coming. We got derailed with the band being homeless for a few months, and no that has been rectified. That has inspired work on the album... etc.

I don't think I've expressed how much of a good find that ^^Garnet is. It's like finding a 1970 Buick GS-X for sale in your neighbors barn. If you lived in Austria. Perhaps rarer still.   I'm proud of myself.  :)
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

I've always wanted to play a Garnet... nothin' like that here... sad.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Quote from: Lumpy on June 06, 2012, 01:35:38 PM
LS-2 is like a swiss army knife. Even if it isn't the ultimate tool for a job, it lets you test out a concept before shelling out big bucks for designer pedals. It does like 87 different things.

How do you like the 4x10 HLF? Do you play a 5 string or downtune? How does it handle the low notes compared to your 8x10?

I just picked up the 410HLF yesterday, haven't tried it out yet. I'm definitely using it this weekend though. I don't downtune much, usually play in Eb or D, but I wanted something with some oomph to it that was more portable than the 810e. I'm keeping my SVT CL with the 810e and just using my Traynor YBA-1 with the 410HLF, which is plenty loud with a good cab.

Corey Y

Got a chance to try out the Ampeg 410HLF last night, with my Traynor YBA-1 and Precision. Good volume, lots of low end punch. I'm glad I held out for an HLF model, the ports really make it pump a lot of low end. I'm not a fan of tweeters, so I turned it off. Doesn't sound bad at moderate level with a clean tone, but it turns any kind of distortion (even just cranking the volume on the amp) into a swarm of angry bees.

hisheroisjon

Just picked this up today.

The Riffer

Quote from: The Shocker on June 01, 2012, 09:59:26 PM

Get this:

6 discs, sound quality is the same as "Strangers In The Night".
Need. Wanna share?
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Holy fuck, I am SO FUCKING JEALOUS.

That is SO gorgeous... %$$$%$%$?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hisheroisjon

Thanks, it's super clean, I traded my old peavey mace for it. It breaks up a bit earlier than it should, so I suspect it needs a few caps replaced but nothing too bad. It's got this gritty bassman tone that cleans up with volume knob well.

grimniggzy

The 410hlf is a good cab. ports def help.
I moved onto a 2X15 since but if I get into a situation that would call for more speakers I'd totally pull out the 410 & stack both heads on top of it.

The Shocker

VOLVO)))

The poly tunes are great. I wish I could afford one.

Why... didn't you use the fuckin' pitchblack? That's such a great tuner.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

That pitchblack is overkill for my needs and too big.  I bought it to trade/sell.  It was a stupid deal of the day and I got it for $25-$30 less than what they are selling for now.

clockwork green

The Turbo Tuner is the only one that matters.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

fuzzfarmer

The Riffer

I bought that tuner stupid deal also. Still in the box unopened too. I use a StroboStomp, ..I love that one.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

clockwork green

Yeah, I've got an old strobo I use at home but the turbo is a bit more stout, smaller and cheaper while being just as accurate.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Corey Y

This lil baby...

...and this lil baby was just finished by Kevin at Krappy Guitars, based on some mad scribblings I sent him. Should be arriving next week.

Mr. Foxen

Finally got a goddamn Hiwatt.

Also this arrived, which is much more boring (has its sleeve just not put back in it after cleaning).