Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Some of you may have noticed Deaner trying to sell a bunch of pedals. Here's why:

What is it? A Pharaoh and a Black Forrest in one pedal!

#13 because Black Arts + Coven + 13 = Black Majick!

Thanks Mark!

bitter

Well that's the coolest fucking thing I've seen all day.  :o

I've been wanting some BAT gear but have all my dirt needs currently covered. This isn't making things any easier. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

dunwichamps

locally made leather guitar strap in Maine

The Shocker

Nice! Love straps with suede. Prevents neck dive.

dunwichamps

yea, i dig them a lot 2. We went to a local tannery and they sell them

bass sic

Will they make them to length? I can never find leather straps long enough for my bass.

apekillman

i too needed a longer strap.  so i bought a black and a brown leather strap like the one pic above.  then went to the store and bought a decent quality but inexpensive no-name thin belt.  then cut them to fit the length i wanted and nut and bolted them together.  nice low strung leather straps.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bass sic on June 14, 2012, 11:08:36 PM
Will they make them to length? I can never find leather straps long enough for my bass.

Not sure really

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

Isn't that the company of the Man is the Bastard guy?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Lumpy

mortlock

The Shocker

Very cool.  Lumpy, you on a pedal buying spree?

Corey Y

UPS just dropped it off. Need to get it tuned up and try it out later.

eyeprod

cool. what is that thing? a 3 string bass with the heavy string on the bottom?
CV - Slender Fungus

moose23

It's a quarter of a 12 string bass. Krappy?

Corey Y

It's kind of like the bottom 1/4 of a 12 string bass, with the upper octave string tuned up a fifth. So it's tuned a-d-D, with two piccolo bass strings (essentially 34" scale guitar strings) and one bass string. Kevin at Krappy Guitars made it for me from scratch based off a sketch for $175 shipped. I knew he likes to make weird stuff and I figured the idea would fit onto his "Punk Bass" format, which is usually a 2 string bass. I was working for months designing and building a prototype for a 6 string version of the concept, modding a Squier Precision I bought cheap and making a custom tune-o-matic bridge from aluminum. I just got burnt out, because my jigs and my tools weren't quite up to the task and I kept getting one screw hole out of whack and that sort of thing. I figured this was a good way to just sort of test out the concept in the real world. A proof of concept build just to see if it even sounds good in the first place.

Corey Y

Quote from: moose23 on June 18, 2012, 05:13:24 PM
It's a quarter of a 12 string bass. Krappy?

^  Yep, sorta, and yep.

Lumpy

moose23

Quote from: Corey Y on June 18, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
It's kind of like the bottom 1/4 of a 12 string bass, with the upper octave string tuned up a fifth. So it's tuned a-d-D, with two piccolo bass strings (essentially 34" scale guitar strings) and one bass string. Kevin at Krappy Guitars made it for me from scratch based off a sketch for $175 shipped. I knew he likes to make weird stuff and I figured the idea would fit onto his "Punk Bass" format, which is usually a 2 string bass. I was working for months designing and building a prototype for a 6 string version of the concept, modding a Squier Precision I bought cheap and making a custom tune-o-matic bridge from aluminum. I just got burnt out, because my jigs and my tools weren't quite up to the task and I kept getting one screw hole out of whack and that sort of thing. I figured this was a good way to just sort of test out the concept in the real world. A proof of concept build just to see if it even sounds good in the first place.

I could have fun with that for that kinda money.

the diddler

Quote from: The Shocker on June 14, 2012, 05:34:51 PM
Some of you may have noticed Deaner trying to sell a bunch of pedals. Here's why:

What is it? A Pharaoh and a Black Forrest in one pedal!

#13 because Black Arts + Coven + 13 = Black Majick!

Thanks Mark!

well, whaddaya think of it?  I've got one on the way also......

The Shocker

I like it, but I haven't had a ton of time to fool with it (sick child).  After a brief session with it, I have the Pharoah Going into the Black Forrest with just a touch of oscillation going on.  Mark said to try it the other way (BF into P), which I'll try as soon as possible. 

Corey Y

The fifth up octave string isn't really there. I may try swapping the placement of the two octave strings and/or using a different gauge string on the higher note. I did try tuning them all to D, 12 string style and it sounded great. So even if the fifth up idea doesn't really pan out it's still a neat toy to play with.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Left to right it's (supposed to be): a (octave) - d (octave) - D (bass)

Last night I ended up tuning then all the same (d-d-D), like the bottom 1/4 of a typical 12 string. It holds intonation that way fine, but the -a- octave string is a little floppy like that, since it's lighter gauge. I have the right gauge string to restring it identical to the -d- octave string if I want. First though I'm going to try swapping positions:

d (octave) - a (octave) - D (bass)

My experience with octave course basses is that whatever string is on top (to the left, facing) is always going to ring out the most. Which is why I play my 8 string with down picking only, as opposed to alternate picking. The octave courses fade in and out otherwise. So having the -a- octave on top might have might it stick out to prominently, when what I want is for the fundamental notes to be prominent and the fifth up to just color it a little bit, to get a kind of power chord sound.

I didn't really think of that when I was discussing the design of this bass. It was really fast and dirty, just a few emails and a scanned sketch. The way it's strung now it goes from lightest to heaviest gauge, because the bridge is a single piece on a slant. So it intonates that way, like a classical guitar. Hopefully it will still be close enough to work if I swap them. My more advanced 6 string design has a tune-o-matic bridge for that reason. I might try making a prototype of that as a 3 string, retrofitting it on this, then making a new nut and adjusting the spacing. I'll try just swapping the string positions first and see how that works. I have all the material to make a bridge, but I don't particularly feel like doing it right now.

Even if I dump a little bit into it with parts and/or labor, it's still dirt cheap for a custom made neck-thru body at $175 shipped and made in like 3 weeks.