Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombhex

Quote from: Pissy on October 03, 2012, 09:24:56 AM
Corey, my go to is one just like that , though it's an original 6 bolt neck EBMM Stngray, with the mute bridge. I got it from Jon Vesano of Nile fame well before he was in Nile. My shit had gotten stolen and he had this lying around and was kind enough to let me borrow it.

Then a month or do later he inquired rather bluntly that I should buy it.

What a cool story to attach to a piece of gear you really dig. I'm a big Nile fan AND a big Stingray fan so I'm having a hard time concealing my boner.

zachoff

Sold my old B-115 combo & bought an SVT-15e yesterday.  Nothing super special, but my small-ish rig is complete... Micro VR + SVT210 & SVT15.  Good times!

Lumpy

Casio SK1. Delightfully cheezey polyphonic keyboard from the mid-80s with 1.4 seconds sampling ability. 18 dollars on Ebay, plus shipping.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

Quote from: tombhex on October 03, 2012, 10:27:59 AM
Corey, my go to is one just like that , though it's an original 6 bolt neck EBMM Stngray, with the mute bridge. I got it from Jon Vesano of Nile fame well before he was in Nile. My shit had gotten stolen and he had this lying around and was kind enough to let me borrow it.

What a cool story to attach to a piece of gear you really dig. I'm a big Nile fan AND a big Stingray fan so I'm having a hard time concealing my boner.

Yeah, he's a good guy, but i havent seen him around in years. I think he still lives here.

The bass has dings and chips in the body from those spiked gaunlets he wore when he played it.
Vinyls.   deal.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Pissy on October 03, 2012, 01:49:08 PM

Yeah, he's a good guy, but i havent seen him around in years. I think he still lives here.

The bass has dings and chips in the body from those spiked gaunlets he wore when he played it.

siiick

bass sic

You guys are making me rethink selling off my Stingray. Looks just the one pictured but has two hum bucks. Its not moving on CL anyways.

Pissy

Quote from: grimniggzy on October 03, 2012, 01:51:07 PM
Quote from: Pissy on October 03, 2012, 01:49:08 PM

siiick

Pretty sure it was during this era. His band was called Demonic Christ then, but he also played it in a band called Dismal based out of Columbus OH.

Vinyls.   deal.

grimniggzy

Lumpy

Demonic Christ, that is old school. I seem to remember that name (didn't hear their music though) from the late 80s 'zines.

Somebody needs to write an article outlining the connection between death metal bands, and weightlifting/powerlifting (talking about his big-ass forearms in the Nile pic)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

probably a different band if it was from the 80's.   This was pretty short from about 94 to 96, then Dark Moon, then Nile.  Prior to that was the Ohio Dismal days  I think.  I think got the bass in 96 sometime.

Lordfinesse posted it in the show yer guitars thread.

Vinyls.   deal.

Corey Y

Quote from: Pissy on October 05, 2012, 07:15:21 AM
probably a different band if it was from the 80's.   This was pretty short from about 94 to 96, then Dark Moon, then Nile.  Prior to that was the Ohio Dismal days  I think.  I think got the bass in 96 sometime.

Nice, great looking maple on that fretboard/headstock. Owning this SBMM has fired up my GAS for Stingrays now.

themusketking

bought a Red Witch Fuzz God II. I love it.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

Pissy

Quote from: Corey Y on October 05, 2012, 03:15:18 PM
Quote from: Pissy on October 05, 2012, 07:15:21 AM

Nice, great looking maple on that fretboard/headstock. Owning this SBMM has fired up my GAS for Stingrays now.

You know what's funny is that the time when I got so attached to it was when I found that I was wearing it in. When i noticed the finish on the neck started coming off where my hand normally rests, that's when I really fell in love. It was about 5 years ago. Until then it was a means to an end. A bass I'd gotten as a result of circumstance. Not my first choice for sure. Heavy, active eq, big neck. All of which didn't suit me.

Now though I realize after toying with other basses, it's the best I could ask for in any context. I've learned around it and nothing feels more comfortable. So anyone, be advised that if you go this route, it's active pickups with a really heavy setup that will take a while to get into. Not even sure anyone else will, it took me about 10 years of being hooked to it to do so.

Vinyls.   deal.

da_qtip

Today I got a barely used Voodoo Lab Superfuzz, for free! I've only tried it through Amplitube so far but I'm diggin' it.

clockwork green

I got a new toy for my Boomerang.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Sam Hain

Just picked up a Sunn Sentura II with Reverb + Tremolo for short from original owner. Its in phenomenal condition and sounds great. Really clean tones even cranked up loud. Gonna sound great with my Pharaoh.

bitter

Can someone get these motherfuckin' snakes off my motherfuckin' Sunn amp?!?!?!  ;D

Nice score. I'd love a good clean amp with verb and trem.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

fallen

Some new things in the last few months...

Chamber Of Sounds Droneulator synth and Light Sensitive Delay.

EHX Superego.

Lei Lani lap steel. WW2 era, almost no steel on it.

Yamaha THR10 amp. This thing has been amazing. Really good standard amp sounds at practice volume and also has a USB out for recording which is great for quick riff ideas. Has Twin, AC30, Super Lead, JCM800 and Dual Rectifier modes. Plus bass and flat which works better with pedals than the amp models.

clockwork green

The Superego is a cool pedal and a lot of fun to experiment with. What are you running through its loop?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

xayk

Quote from: clockwork green on October 09, 2012, 05:05:06 PM
The Superego is a cool pedal and a lot of fun to experiment with. What are you running through its loop?

Also curious. I almost picked one up last week (but picked up a BAT Revelation instead...) but still have the lust.

The Chamber of Sounds pair looks great, too.

fallen

I have an Earthquaker Disaster Transport reverb and delay in the loop but it really doesn't need it, I've had the delay off most of the time anyway. The Superego can sustain infinitely on it's own without needing any extra effects in the loop. The loop might be cool with a rotovibe or tremolo or effects like that but unless you want to keep your dry signal un-effected the loop isn't necessary. I think EHX just wants to sell more nano pedals.

The Shocker

Quote from: xayk on October 09, 2012, 05:14:08 PM

Also curious. I almost picked one up last week (but picked up a BAT Revelation instead...) but still have the lust.

Revelation is my favorite pedal Mark makes and I've tried all his production pedals except the LSTR.

I forgot about that Yamaha Amp.  I was gassin for one a while back.

MichaelZodiac

I bought a BAT Oath last week, pretty excited to blast everything to bits with it.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

fallen

Quote from: The Shocker on October 09, 2012, 08:22:16 PM
Quote from: xayk on October 09, 2012, 05:14:08 PM

Revelation is my favorite pedal Mark makes and I've tried all his production pedals except the LSTR.

I forgot about that Yamaha Amp.  I was gassin for one a while back.

The Yamaha amp is my favorite thing that I've bought in the last year at least. Super fun. I truck it around the house, record through it or just set it on the coffee table and jam out on the couch. The JCM800 setting sounds so good with everything just set at noon, it's perfect.

The description I heard was 'like hearing your guitar through studio monitors with a full size amp mic'd up in another room somewhere'.

The only downside is that the modeled preamps aren't as forgiving with dirt pedals like a normal tube amp. You just can't overdrive the first tube like you can in a real amp. It just clips. It's happier running with it's own gain but if you keep the volume on the pedals down it works better. It's kind of like a cranky old amp where if you turn the knobs up too high, especially the master volume and bass on the Fender Twin setting, you can get some terrible sounds. It's like my old Music Man amp, if you turn the bass all the way up it overloads and starts sounding gross.

I can do a demo at some point of some more downtuned stuff and with a couple of fuzz pedals. Might give some more information than the demos that I've seen out there.

The Shocker

Have you fooled with the editor software?