Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

that is a really good bit of info mule.  I have only gotten to know a single 12ax7 pre amp and an 12au or wtf ecc little 2 watt deal sounds like

so, here is this way richer pre amp section. I noticed that right off the bat. the greta with 1 tube is coarser. this is a good thing much times, but it almost requires some kind of pedal to warm it up before going into the greta. the tweaker sounds like a pedal front end alone. comparatively..so I really liked that.

I never spent time with an orange front end, but they use a cascade for pre tubes too and they sound great to everyone that has ever used one. maybe that's why egnator went this way also. w/e glad they did.

second thing besides the sick array of little tone switch combinations was the sound of the output.  that twin 6v6 sound is totally different than the greta 2watt single ecc or 12AU wtf they use. totally intruiging and just different. i'll figure it out better after spending some time with it.  they had a little 16ohm cab with a 12 in it for $180. it sounded nice, but not that nice haha.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I commented before how the greta pre out just totally turns my old kustom 30w 12"combo into a raging monster of pure rage haha. that is such a cool setup now. and I basically have been hating that combo amp for ever since I have owned it. couldn't even give it to my buddy.

im kind of working my way up the wattage ladder, learning wtf i am doingmore and more. noticing differences in sound from amp to amp.   i have the 2 hammond chassis a 50 watt and the 18 watt reverb amp. both work just fine as of last time i fired the hammond up.  so i am ready with some bigger amps without spending the bigger money when i get up to the 50 watt/100 watt sizes, which i may never do actually. this 15 watts is pretty loud just being by itself. it will rock the 4x12 nice im sure, but i doubt keep up with drums, but who knows, i have yet to push this little guy hard yet.

my son has one of those peavey xxx beasts and a hartke 4x12. he got them in some kludge deal, but for its size, i have yet to hear anything able to cause pain like that rig. fuck is it loud. that can drown out the drums, drown everything in the room except bass tones. the problem is you cant turn it way up to see what it really has. you just cant. not even close. so , it may as well be a ss amp with hi clean gain and just feed it with whatever you need the sound to be. have to use pedals when you play an amp low volume if the input gain boost cant do it alone
it almost would seem that having an orange style pre amp, and a stable of various sized/type power amps that can be swapped to power the speaker combo du jour needed for that particular playing session would be a nice thing to have.

RAGER

Went and picked up a Microbrute last night.

No Focus Pocus

fallen

No photo but I just picked up a Tascam DR-05 handy recorder thing. Stereo mic, mounts on a camera tripod. Not tiny but takes regular AAs.

Was using my iPhone to record riffs from my home jams but the phone was corrupting voice memos some of the time so I'd lose files and the mic doesn't sound great.

First impressions on the Tascam is that it sounds really true to life and the level is easy to set. It has an auto peak reduction feature so when clipping it turns it's own gain down. I haven't tried it on anything super loud but what I've heard so far is really good.

USB into the computer and it shows up like a flash drive. Easy.

mutantcolors

We did this with a Tascam and 2 condensers. 4 mics total with the onboards running as well. No post production. Slick piece of equipment worth its weight in gold.

http://psychedelicsexorgan.bandcamp.com/album/fried-egg-2

showdown

Hartman 8va Octave fuzz, sort of a Tycobrahe clone.

tombhex

Hey y'all, long time no.... post....?

Got some new goodies this past weekend. My old lady bought me a BAT Quantum Mystic for my birthday and I treated myself to an Orange Micro Terror. They sound fucking radical together through my basketweave.

Mr. Foxen

themusketking

I bought a Digitech Jamman Express for at-home jamming purposes and to help me learn to write better complimenting melodies and solos. I love the thing. Cannot beat it for the price.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

mutantcolors

Nailed the cab for $300. So now, I have a cab for the guitar channel and a cab for the bass channel of the same amp. $735 total for all three, sweet deal.

heytrid

i bought a Hall Of Fame to be more like Rager, I told myself I need to be more like Rager so that was a good start,

mortlock

if you want to be like rager you need to learn how to cook.

dogfood

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 11, 2014, 11:31:42 AM

GODMOTHERFUCKINGDAMNIT!!!!  England has all the good tube amps! >:( >:( >:(
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

Quote from: heytrid on March 11, 2014, 07:40:52 PM
i bought a Hall Of Fame to be more like Rager, I told myself I need to be more like Rager so that was a good start,

You've only one negative karma point. You got a long way to go kid.

How do you like the pedal so far? 
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RAGER on February 21, 2014, 12:37:02 PM
Went and picked up a Microbrute last night.

How do you like it? My roommate got one a few weeks back and I think it's an awesome little unit. Sounds really nuts through distortion. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my Juno 6 years back.

RAGER

It's super rad. I also have the Minibrute if you didn't know. They work really well together. I connect the audio out of the micro to the audio in of the micro and use the mod matrix of the micro to the vca and cv in of the mini. That way I can have duophony and run sequences on one and the arpeggiator on the other for some really cool patterns. I run them both through an overdrive, reverb, delay, and phaser and midi'd to a drum machine.

I'm picking up a monotribe tonight I think to do some mods to.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

I might be able to flip a Laney for a profit here in Dallas.  But, no thank you.  I've just sunk some coin into restoring, top to bottom, two YBA-1 Traynors.  Took them both to a hippy who still performs the magic on old amps.  Went to some Traynor pages and down loaded some ideas.  I had the bias mod done on both, took out the polarity, put in grounded pigtails, one new 12ax7, two new 6550s, am going to remove the cable holders and woodwork an opening in the bottom for some convection.  There was a lot more that could be fiddled with but I like the idea of the amp as the dude designed it with mostly only functional improvements.  Can't wait to plug'm in.  Also, a new pair of Sheptone Tribute pafs on the way.  Next up, fuzz hunting.
Problem solving whiskey!

Jake

Sold my Jazz Bass and got a different Jazz Bass (for exactly half of what I sold mine for). This one has big pickups that make poop involuntarily fall out of butts.

poop.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

Quote from: Jake on March 14, 2014, 12:52:07 PM

That's a big ass low string. Got a .135 on my 5 string, looks about the same.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RAGER on March 12, 2014, 10:23:04 AM
It's super rad. I also have the Minibrute if you didn't know. They work really well together. I connect the audio out of the micro to the audio in of the micro and use the mod matrix of the micro to the vca and cv in of the mini. That way I can have duophony and run sequences on one and the arpeggiator on the other for some really cool patterns. I run them both through an overdrive, reverb, delay, and phaser and midi'd to a drum machine.

I'm picking up a monotribe tonight I think to do some mods to.

Nice! Psychedelic power electronics?

jibberish

I bought 4 more of these. one for under each cerwin vega, one under the amp stack and one for using as a furniture dolly since my original one is under the guitar stand.
I love these things for rolling salt buckets of water/salt/rocks/w/e around, and speakers. once in a while furniture even,heyyyyyyy

ALSO: nowhere can you buy 4 250# rated swivel casters and 16 nut/bolt sets, and 4 scraps of wood for $8.99 when they have a sidewalk sale on these, so I would buy these to tear down just for the casters.  I shopped casters. fuck me running if some of those wheels aren't 5.99 apiece. fuck that noise.

heytrid

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2014, 08:13:43 PM

You've only one negative karma point. You got a long way to go kid.

How do you like the pedal so far? 

I like it, I was inbetween picking the HoF or the hardwire supernatural, this one popped up used for cheap so I grabbed it. I think the toneprint part of it is a pretty neat feature.

Lumpy

Where do you buy furniture dollies for 8.99 ? ???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.