Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

hey lumpy, there is this Chinese tool store haha.  they have the longer furniture dolly on the page I linked for 16.99. the short ones, which I got are regularly $9.99, which is still pretty decent after you price the individual hardware.

I know that was a pretty low grade thing to post in the new gear thread, but people could put wheels on like everything for cheap, so IMO, this is good info.
these are decent sized wheels that roll over small stuff nicely. not those wussy little stylish shit rollers on computer/tv carts etc

they have a boatload of stores maybe there is one in your hood :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/#

xayk

I joined the club.

Came with a homemade 2x12 I wrote off initially, but opened it up and it's nicely constructed. The tubes are labeled "The New Tube" and, based of the most 80's logo I have seen on something in many years, I'm guessing are original (or at least of the era.)

Volume

Lumpy

Hey Jibberish, there is a Harbor Freight in Brooklyn. Thanks!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

sweet. they are always having sales and coupons etc etc.
next sale, I want to get another pile of those dollies. I can put some of my marine system stuff up on wheels too, like sumps, which are basically holding containers to add water volume to the system. a 100 gallon aggie tub(for watering cows haha) weighs 700-800 lb. a platform made from 2 of those long dollies will be perfect so I can ease that thing around to clean under it etc. I also have stacks of 5gal salt buckets full of many types of substrates, crushed coral, dead skeletons, dried liverock rubble and even salt.  those buckets full of rock/sand weigh a lot. I want to get them all stacked 2/3 high on dollies too.

I am afraid to try out their $89 generator. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that something of quality can be made and sold for that price.
stamped screws is one thing, but there is a little internal combustion engine involved here..so I am way leery about that

RAGER

That generator has to be a 2 stroke for that price.  Thing must be stupid loud and only about 500 watts.  Get batteries and a cheap inverter.  Silence.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

...and don't forget to drive a metal stake into the soil to ground that bad boy!!  8)
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

Quote from: RacerX on March 24, 2014, 02:13:36 PM
...and don't forget to drive a metal stake into the soil to ground that bad boy!!  8)

now there is a flashback thread haha.. and bond it to your 5th wheel too

AgentofOblivion

I installed the Gibson P94 pickups into my Explorer over the weekend (they are essentially humbucker sized P90s).  They sound great but are proving to be a bit of a nightmare.  The pole pieces stick really far out of the housing and although they have flat-head cuts in them, they do not appear to be adjustable.  By that I mean I put reasonable force on them and they didn't budge.  Should I try to really crank them down?

This is a problem because I have the neck pickup lowered as far as it will go and the pole piece still rubs on my high e string.  I have the raise the action to an absurd amount to overcome this and although the guitar is still playable, it's far from comfortable.  And I'm not a person that uses really low action.  If anything my action preference is higher than most.  What's a guy to do?  I considered truss rod adjustments but I think that would have very little effect on the 22nd fret position action, which is where the problem is.  Any ideas?

RacerX

I have an LP Jr. with a P-94T in it.

Those pole pieces are adjustable.—maybe try screwing in the other direction to see if the limit is maxed?
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Yep. You may need a little more leverage...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

AgentofOblivion

I was using a tiny screw driver.  Thanks for the correction--that makes these much more useful!

AgentofOblivion

Update:  I was able to adjust the pole pieces and get them back in a reasonable state.  I then lowered my action back down and got things set up correctly.  Man, these things are awesome.  They sounded tremendous through my Fender Blues Deluxe.  I normally consider that amp having little to no gain, even with the gain cranked, but this guitar made it have a nasty snarl to it and I actually turned the gain down.  I then took it to band practice and played through the Laney 2x12 (which I'm experimenting with while I have it) and I had to cut the gain on all the channels.  The P-90 style must have a much hotter output than normal single coils.  Next up is trying them on my Stonecutter and JCM 800.   ;D

RacerX

Yeah, they're pretty hot, a lot higher output than P90s.

They do sound pretty close to P90s, but the higher output will hit the front end of your amp differently. I've stopped using an overdrive pedal when playing my Jr. because the P94T is so hot, it's not needed.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

I've always loved the brushed gold guards on Fender basses (and Jazzmasters). So, I got one.

poop.

AgentofOblivion

Wow, that's nice!  I've been trying to think of a pickguard to use on my black explorer once I convert the hardware to gold.  This is an interesting option...

Omlet

I bought the guitar I dreamed of since I was thirteen (I wasn't even playing a guitar :D)... As I don't believe in Polish delivery services, I guess it will be here Mon / Tue.

I'll post more details and some pics once I get it ;)

dogfood

Quote from: Omlet on March 27, 2014, 01:55:36 PM
I bought the guitar I dreamed of since I was thirteen (I wasn't even playing a guitar :D)... As I don't believe in Polish delivery services, I guess it will be here Mon / Tue.

I'll post more details and some pics once I get it ;)

+1, everyone should wield the axe of their dreams.
Problem solving whiskey!

dogfood

Waiting for my new pups to arrive.  I am not a fan of hot pups, I like'm PAF-y, alnico, bitey, almost single coil, with a 50's country & jazz sound.  So, no surprise here, I doled out the cash American for some PAF-y clones.  I had the V-59s from JS Moore in my MIK Lester and they were very, very nice (in retrospect).  But, I thought "why go with the same?"  So, I pulled the trigger on some Sheptone whatevers, their standard, not overwound here or there, in a boat with a goat, models.  Fucking dying for the cunts to arrive. 
Problem solving whiskey!

AgentofOblivion

Are PAF's the same as the '57s that Gibson puts in their, say, Historic 335s?  If so, I wasn't a fan.  I had them completely lowered and they were still too hot.  Sounded great on the JCM 800, but shitty on my Stonecutter and Fender amps.

RacerX

PAF 'type" p/us vary widely in their resistance. The original PAFs were pretty low output, but between Gibson & all the aftermarket p/u makers, there are "PAF type" p/us rated anywhere between 7 & 9k.

The Burstbuckers are probably closer to a vintage PAF than the 57s, imo.
Livin' The Life.

Instant Dan

I always felt Fender amps were designed for single coils in mind.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

The last two posts are pretty goddamned bonerlicious.
poop.