Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

An update to The Outlaw: 

This is from the D*A*M forums.  The Outlaw was made by Richard Mintz at All Test Devices:

"Yes, I made this unit! It replaced a section of the preamp stage on Fender tube amps, etc. It came with an interconnect cable and socket adapter that fit into the amp tube socket. The tube inside the unit replaces the amp tube. I made these for Outlaw Electronics, who ultimately could not pay for the production units! I think I made about 250 pieces. I sold them all, but, didn't want to make anymore, as I was busy with other projects that were more profitable and technically interesting for me. I still have one, someplace in my storage."

"Now I remember more..............the Outlaw was actually an additional preamp channel. The adaptor cable connected to the driver tube in the amplifier preamp section. It was supposed to be like a "hot" channel. It could also be used stand-alone, but, I don't remember it being "unforgettable." I'll have to find my sample and fire it up."

Dylan Thomas

I'm looking into expanding my sonic arsenal with the Electro Harmonix Superego and Ravish Sitar pedals.

Does anyone have experience with these?  Opinions?
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

The Shocker

I had the Ravish Sitar.  It was fun, but I wasn't talented enough to really get all its features.

VOLVO)))

I want the Superego something fierce.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

Superego is good for drones but that's about it. I have one sitting here that a friend has left but I don't have a use for it. Considering that I have 2 analog synths and a couple of loop pedalstthat already can handle drones
CV - Slender Fungus

tombhex

I was itching to try/buy the Superego about a month ago and tracked one down and spent some time with it and decided against it. It was a really cool effect and I loved the weird coldness to the drones it created, but it's kindof unwieldy and I can't imagine it being something I used more than fucking around in my room. I was feeling it and then I wasn't - steep dropoff of getting bored by what it did.

liquidsmoke

$50 each Craigslist. Guy said his friend's electrician dad built them 10 years ago. Eminence speakers. Got an email back from Eminence based on the sticker code-

"That is indeed a blast from the past we made for many years starting in 1985 for a company called Oxford.  It has a 56 ounce magnet, and a 2" voice coil with a 0.500" winding length.  It's best when used in a vented enclosure and thermally speaking the speaker should be able to withstand about 200W continuous....however, it has a fairly small linear Xmax of 1.6mm, therefore it likely has mechanical limitations at low frequencies, for example 60Hz and below, and would thus have a greatly reduced power handling at this frequency range."

Probably not the best speakers for using an octave down pedal with an F# baritone at full volume but I think I did pretty well for $100. Sounded good at practice yesterday. If I replace them it will be with the loudest baddest 15s I can get. 'Lack Bbati' is covering up the Kitty sticker that was hard to remove  :D

RAGER

Got me Grendel Drone Commander.  Demo in Synth thread if interested in what it sounds like.

Among it's friends

No Focus Pocus

Corey Y

My Carvin PB4 arrived at lunch today. Got it with vintage sized stainless steel frets and setup for BEAD tuning. Played great right out of the box, Carvin's factory setups are great. I may still swap out the strings and pickup, since I'm kind of particular about those two things with my P basses, but it sounds pretty nice stock.

EDIT: I attached a pic, but for some reason it didn't post....here ya go:

Jake

Pics or GET. THE. FUCK. OUT.
poop.

xayk

Sure, why not. Playing clean it's pretty staggering, but in limited time with some dirt around it it's a little lost. I'll keep futzing.

liquidsmoke

Picked one up used today. Poly mod does not track perfectly but better than OC-2 mono mod. Either way even two note power chords sound too huge and in fact pretty messy on low strings as they do on the lower strings of basses, especially into a distortion pedal. No surprise. Drive mode sounds okay. Oct 2 is nuts, like electronic music sub bass sounding even on higher guitar strings. I may use this unit to transform my baritone into a bass for recording single notes if I don't get an extra long scale bass and tune it in F#. Better poly tracking would be nice but low string chords would still sound too messy to my ears. If anyone ever makes an affordable unit that will pick out the root note of a chord and just octave down that I'll buy it.

jibberish

^ I have not heard a clean sounding sub octaver yet either. maybe someone will come out with a high powered DSP version.

plus we get sunno's report on the pitchfork to add to the pile. maybe newest gen stuff is cleaner.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: jibberish on October 23, 2014, 12:19:45 AM
^ I have not heard a clean sounding sub octaver yet either. maybe someone will come out with a high powered DSP version.

plus we get sunno's report on the pitchfork to add to the pile. maybe newest gen stuff is cleaner.

Aside from the weird tracking on chords the OC-3 is pretty clean. My issue is that it can't give me only the root note an octave down. I knew this before buying but wanted to fool with one of these just to see how it would behave. For one note at a time it's okay.

edit: One thing however is that you can dial in just a little of the octave to add some thunder without overwhelming your rig although turning up the bass without an octave pedal would sound kind of similar.

VOLVO)))

Dude! Seriously, the pitchfork is doing what you want. I been doing it for years with a POG

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 23, 2014, 12:53:26 AM
Dude! Seriously, the pitchfork is doing what you want. I been doing it for years with a POG

These units can pick out just the root note of a chord and transpose it an octave down?

VOLVO)))

If you play a chord, it plays a chord. What you're saying is you just want root notes only if you're playing a chord?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 23, 2014, 01:47:28 AM
If you play a chord, it plays a chord. What you're saying is you just want root notes only if you're playing a chord?

Yes. The ultimate for a guitar 2 piece.

VOLVO)))

Eh, man, i really think you are over thinking it. Two pedal chains, ABY between. A To guitar side with pedals,  B to bass side with pitchfork on permanently, kick in and out. I've used a similar setup and it literally sounds like a bass and guitar. Just eq properly.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 23, 2014, 03:34:46 AM
Eh, man, i really think you are over thinking it. Two pedal chains, ABY between. A To guitar side with pedals,  B to bass side with pitchfork on permanently, kick in and out. I've used a similar setup and it literally sounds like a bass and guitar. Just eq properly.

Yes I am using two pedal chains with an ABY switch into a guitar rig and a bass rig. The OC-3 makes power chords sound like power chords on a bass but since my baritone is tuned down to F# it's a lot more messy than it would be in E or even B. Haven't even cranked it to band practice level volume yet. I don't really need an octave pedal with this setup but I wanted to give it a go. Just the root would be awesome. I'll mess with frequencies and the octave level more though.

Thicker strings would probably help some with clarity but that isn't happening.

VOLVO)))

Honestly, that boss is a shit tier octave pedal for this application. It doesn't track well enough with standard tunings. You really need to try something that isn't glitchy and shitty. As I've said, done what you're doing for a long, long time with an EHX POG (first gen) and it sounds dead on. I can only imagine with the technology now.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

tombhex

Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 23, 2014, 09:16:29 AM
Honestly, that boss is a shit tier octave pedal for this application. It doesn't track well enough with standard tunings. You really need to try something that isn't glitchy and shitty. As I've said, done what you're doing for a long, long time with an EHX POG (first gen) and it sounds dead on. I can only imagine with the technology now.
[

Can confirm, was a waste of my fucking time as well. Same goes for my Whammy - works as intended about 40% of the time, the rest of the time it's a garbly-warbly glitchy mess that doesn't sound good after any amount of tweaking. Seriously considering the Pitchfork because it seems like a reasonable HOG without the pain-in-the-ass setup process. The OC-3 is fun, but just does not do what I hope it will.

spookstrickland

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 23, 2014, 01:27:40 AM
Quote from: VOLVO))) on October 23, 2014, 12:53:26 AM

These units can pick out just the root note of a chord and transpose it an octave down?

I want the same thing, that's why I'm going to build a "Local H" style guitar with a bass pickup on two strings so that only the roots will go through the octave pedal.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

liquidsmoke

An affordable octave pedal that could pick out root notes would sell like crazy. I've heard about some expensive units and perhaps some of them can do this but I'm not spending $300+

MichaelZodiac

Bought this yesterday online, delivered today. Rehearsal later today and first show next week tuesday, it's gonna get used ;D
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan