Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Typical DI box I believe, could use for bass or acoustic guitar. Will try adding it to the sax player from Ocean of Stars' signal chain to see if it gives a noticeable boost when we rehearse/play out.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

The Riffer

Quote from: The Riffer on December 06, 2014, 05:37:03 PM
Lucked into this great find. Handmade by local Chattanooga Luthier Bruce Bennett.
I found this thread while researching this guitar.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/124770-bennett-guitars-double-cut-junior-build.html
Mine was made in 2000, and its a bit different, but I'll assume the techniques used are same/similar.  P/O told me the body and neck are 1/4 sawn Brazilian and African mahogany, and the fretboard is Pau Ferro. It has a great feeling neck, a bit round up at the top and flattens and slightly widens as you go down.  KILLER little guitar.

Update, for anyone who may be interested.
I took the guitar back to Bruce for him to lay hands on it and basically get a new setup and blessing. Got some interesting info thought I'd share.

Body Shape was inspired by his mid 70s Gretsch Corvette on top (I put it in his OHSC for the gretsch, and it fit like a glove), and a PRS on the bottom.
The Neck is my favorite part of the guitar, and he explained that it is similar to the older gibsons up @ the nut, and does flatten as it goes to the heel, but where its different is that it doesn't get much wider, it is 1 3/4" at the nut, and 2" @ the heel. No bulk down in the lead wanking positions, which he attributes to Rickenbacher type of necks. The other thing about the neck is that the fretboard is an unknown variety of Rosewood (presumably). He said he bought 100BF of it in the early 90s from a local lumberyard it was labelled rosewood. Has since gotten it  analyzed by the Forestry Service, and comes back as an unknown wood type. He showed me the different tonal qualities of this wood and a piece of rosewood in raw form and Its much more bell like and resonates much lower. (nerd content for me). Unfortunately he has enough for 2 more fretboards, and one of those is for a custom Im getting.

Two piece body and neck. He told me that a two piece neck is stronger and more stable than the coveted one piece neck. The body is two piece to match the neck, check the pic, its dead on at the glue joint.

He made 12 similar to this one. Mine is the last with a volute and the first with an oil rubbed finish.

He started these guitars to realize his vision of a barebones affordable  do it all touring musicians rock and roll machine. Apparently it didnt catch on.

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

The Shocker

That's cool mang.  I think the history of gear is always fun to know.

RAGER

Xmas is over, yesterday was my girls birthday and I spoiled her so I felt justified in bringing home my new DX7.

No Focus Pocus

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

jibberish

Jake

Man, that Bennett is rad. I love the concept of a pure meat-and-potatoes, blue collar rock machine. Like a LP Junior.

And just because I'm a dork (and had photoshop already open), I indulged a quick fantasy of having one and fashioning a black guard — smoothing a couple of the hard bevels. The results:

poop.

The Riffer

Thanks Jake.

Fuckin A right buddy.
Its going back for a black pickguard. Looks great, thank you.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

Corey Y

Sweet guitar, which reminds me again how much I want a bridge humbucker only style guitar (or an Esquire with a twin blade style pickup). Good call on the black pickguard, that is a good look.

The Riffer

Agreed, a barebones guitar is fun, and in a way freeing.
The pickguard on it now is actually mother or toilet seat., it looks white in the pic.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

xayk

Shades of the Epi Coronet, which I fucking love. Kudos.

Jake

Got a beat up shell for my truck from Craig's. Need to fix a couple small things, but I can schlep cabs around now w/o having to worry about Denver weather shitting on my parade. Couldn't say no for $250.

PS: My license plate isn't really that, but I wish it were.
poop.

johnny problem

That truck looks mint for the body work, especially for an s10, fucking cabs on those things rot worse than a leper whore.  Good score.

Jake

Very true. That stupid '98 S-10 has lived the mojave desert for a LOT of its life. I will keep that thing until it eventually commits suicide, as GMs like to do.

Oh, I also just picked up a 1994-ish 2-channel Dual Rectifier for, if I'm being completely honest...a crackhead price (think, Orange Tiny Terror range.) I've wanted exactly this amp for probably 20 years. Gotta make a new faceplate or something, because that diamond plate is just way too goofy for me. I'm glad these amps get sort of a bad rap amongst our vintage-inspired brethren. Keeps the prices in reality.

poop.

VOLVO)))

Nah, they're badasses. A little muddy for me in full dirt mode. I usually run an overdrive up front, or a ten band eq in the loop to bump the mids into usable range.

That said, my main amp is a Peavey ultra+... It was one of these for a couple years.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

jake, you just won the coveted "Stackmaster" award. gz.  8D

can I build you an a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i-splitter? full buffering so you can run your entire basement at once.

..super quiet mil spec op amps...ahh ahh noonan..quiet wirewound resistors.....individual trims....NiCad built in charger battery operation for even more deathly silence...steep cutoff lo and hi freq filters....choice of boutique buffer circuits....heh, now I want one.

black

Those M/B Dual Recs are great.
(my guitar player Rocks one)
Far more versatile tone than the Triples.
And almost as rad as my Mark lll.  ;)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

taylo)))r

I got me a new amp....BEHOLD THE HORSEHEAD!!! I liked it so much, I posted it in two different spots.

(insert interesting quote)

taylo)))r

stupid internets.

taylo)))r

My internet is being super wonky...sorry for all the extra fucking posts.

jibberish

wait until the spellchecker kicks in and changes all your words to really make you look good.

Jake

Nice score. I saw that Verellen on HC. Tried to offer him my Thunderverb, but he didn't bite.

It's the Skyhammer with an Orange-type power section, right?
poop.

taylo)))r

Quote from: Jake on January 15, 2015, 10:49:23 PM
Nice score. I saw that Verellen on HC. Tried to offer him my Thunderverb, but he didn't bite.

It's the Skyhammer with an Orange-type power section, right?

Yes.

I traded him that traynor, my evil twin and a little cash. Sounds fucking great.

The Riffer

Killer score Taylor. Congrats.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

The Riffer

New to me Orange OR 120.
Mid 90s, All mercury iron.
With the orange tower complete Ive exhausted my wallet and my want for amps....for today.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB