Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Whatchou gonna do with that douglas? If its as bad as you say it is...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on December 02, 2015, 07:03:03 AM
Whatchou gonna do with that douglas? If its as bad as you say it is...

It's not that bad, some blemishes here and there, just needs some fret work.

RacerX

Put the Douglas neck on the Scroll!
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

The scroll should live with me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Put the Scroll neck on the Douglas!

...or use it as a cane.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on December 02, 2015, 08:00:29 PM
The scroll should live with me.

I'll keep that in mind but I suspect you could probably find one somewhere for $100 in better condition than mine..

It's either going to a pro for a new neck or going on ebay. No hurry though as I have months of writing and recording planned for other projects in different tunings using other guitars.

zachoff

Quote from: zachoff on October 06, 2015, 11:11:52 PM
If you can't play a heavy, misweighted bass then well... You probably have a vagina and play a Fender P Lyte.

I have no recollection of posting this...

Beta Cloud

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 02, 2015, 03:20:56 AM
Got sick of waiting for one of these to pop up cheap on Craigslist so I got this new a few weeks back. Beautiful guitar. Level frets, not neck heavy, no flaws, good tone, no shit. I highly doubt anything Rondo sells in this price range is any better, my Douglas baritone(some high frets) sure isn't.

dude, i just traded my gibson sg because i just couldn't live with the neck dive. that looks fanfuckingtastic. the chitty chitty bang bang trem looks cool too!!!
why does it hurt when i pee?

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Beta Cloud on December 04, 2015, 01:19:57 AM
dude, i just traded my gibson sg because i just couldn't live with the neck dive. that looks fanfuckingtastic. the chitty chitty bang bang trem looks cool too!!!

Life is too short to deal with neck dive.

For the money the SG specials are great, the new ones at least. I suspect that the Indonesian factory has updated equipment. My older LP special needs a fret job, I think I got that one for $60 though.

https://www.stetsbar.com

Beta Cloud

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 04, 2015, 01:48:31 AM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on December 04, 2015, 01:19:57 AM

Life is too short to deal with neck dive.

INDEED!!!
and i'm familiar with the stetsbar, i gave my buddy's sg with a stetsbar a MASSIVE workout and found the action, diving, tuning to be as good or better than a floyd.

but it's butt ugly.
ahhh, who am i to judge... i think we've all rocked out a booty call with a butter face with a rockin' body.

plus you're a class act my friend. who else would use peter cushing as their avatar?

Beta Cloud

zachoff

Got a new old turntable this morning!

This guy... Technics SL-DL1  $65 on Craigs

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Beta Cloud on December 04, 2015, 02:34:29 AM
INDEED!!!
and i'm familiar with the stetsbar, i gave my buddy's sg with a stetsbar a MASSIVE workout and found the action, diving, tuning to be as good or better than a floyd.

but it's butt ugly.
ahhh, who am i to judge... i think we've all rocked out a booty call with a butter face with a rockin' body.

plus you're a class act my friend. who else would use peter cushing as their avatar?

Aww shucks. I'm probably not worthy as there are tons of Cushing films I haven't seen. The man could ACT. Him, Lee, and Price. Doesn't get better.

I actually like the look of the Stetsbar. To me it screams what the hell is that? And why/how it is moving forward in such a manner??!! It's very smooth and fantastic for psychy dive bomb prop plane type sounds.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 04, 2015, 05:26:37 PM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on December 04, 2015, 02:34:29 AM
INDEED!!!

but it's butt ugly.

Aww shucks. I'm probably not worthy as there are tons of Cushing films I haven't seen. The man could ACT. Him, Lee, and Price. Doesn't get better.

I actually like the look of the Stetsbar. To me it screams what the hell is that? And why/how it is moving forward in such a manner??!! It's very smooth and fantastic for psychy dive bomb prop plane type sounds.

i concur. lee/price/cushing= GAWDZ!
however this scares the shit out of me. makes a stetsbar look good-

liquidsmoke

Whoa, yeah that thing is weird looking. But if it sounds good in the right hands that is the important thing.

Got the Weeping Demon. It's less fizzy than my RMC, maybe more modern sounding than I'd like but it's super adjustable in just about every way imaginable so I think it's going to work out. Wish I would have had it when Emerald Douglas was playing out and recording(for our one song with wah  ;D).

giantchris

Got a great deal today got a new PRS Paul Allender SE on clearance with gig bag and new strings for 490$ from Guitar Center. 

jibberish

nice. I like PRS a lot, but I didn't think you could mention them here lol.

Jor el

Quote from: zachoff on December 04, 2015, 12:16:39 PM

This guy... Technics SL-DL1  $65 on Craigs

Nice!

I dug my old Technics SL-J2 oot of storage  last year.

What Would Scooby Do ?

Submarine

Quote from: jibberish on December 10, 2015, 04:01:27 AM

Its like the Voldemort of guitars.   ;)

giantchris

Quote from: Submarine on December 10, 2015, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: jibberish on December 10, 2015, 04:01:27 AM

Its like the Voldemort of guitars.   ;)
So true but they do make some nice guitars.  I'd actually be inclined to say Gibson is more Voldemortish lately since they got busted a year or two ago for importing all that illegal exotic woods lol     

bbottom

I traded my green Sb2 (with the Sb1 neck) to a dude on TB for his Ampeg Hlf cab and some dough. I wanted a 4 10 Ampeg cab for this new band that I joined ( band #3) And the fact that this has casters is pretty bitchin. I just finished customizing it.

jibberish

..speaking of casters.   if y'all have ever priced them, they are kind of expensive.

but these dolly's from harbor freight have 4 of them for one low price. these are on sale for $7-$8 frequently. I have about a half dozen already and I need a couple more to actually tear apart

http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html

jibberish

This guy... Technics SL-DL1  $65 on Craigs

nice score. those were w/e $400 in the day. we had those at the audio warehouse around 1980

that is a very special TT in 2 respects:

1) it has what is called a "tangential tracking" tonearm. that thing rides on a rotating shaft(just like L ron loves to do) so that it can move laterally with minimal resistance.
the tonearm itself is very short and always is in perfect alignment with the record grooves.

2) it has a mechanical tracking force mechanism:  this means, that with the lid closed, and an album playing, you can turn that TT any way you want and it will keep playing fine:
upside-down..on its side, doesn't matter.   just move real slow so you don't jag the tonearm with a sharp motion and possibly scratch your record

I had a lot of fun with that while it was on the floor loke on a slow day
the top of the line Dual like 560 or wtf, could also track with the TT at any position. I still want one of those.

edit: btw, the shorty tonearm makes for nice low resonance tonearm. if you got a new stylus(fresh magnets, fresh cantilever and suspension material) that is actually a clean sounding TT.  
It is not audiophile because it just makes too much noise(nit-pick level) and it is not super musical, BUT for normal perspective, those are nice.
bottom line: good score.

ps. that is thee best TT for outdoor events where albums get played. that right there makes it worth even more to me. thee olde "close-n-play".  fuckin' A heh

edit: wait on that "turn it any way"  .i'm starting to think that isn't the same model..lemme look into this...im remembering a semicircular clamp that went over the center of the album...
I have to be careful here. this was a 1981-1982 model..we had an older one....maybe I can find it....it has to have a record clamp to be able to be turned any way
also, the SL-DL1 got nice reviews...for $65 it's a keeper

tombhex

In the spirit of that sweet PRS Paul Allender, I too bought something people don't really mention around here recently. I got myself an engagement present. Picked up a used LTD MH-417 7-string. It's matte black and it rips. I also grabbed a Line6 POD HD400 since I don't have a practice amp at home but I do have a pair of nice monitors.

I hate the POD, wasn't aware the HD400 doesn't have a way to disable the cab simulator function like the 500 does. Going to try to sell it for a small loss and get into an HD500 if possible, but it'll do for now.

I love the 7 string more than any of my other guitars, though.

Pissy

Quote from: jibberish on December 14, 2015, 01:31:35 AM

This guy... Technics SL-DL1  $65 on Craigs

nice score. those were w/e $400 in the day. we had those at the audio warehouse around 1980

that is a very special TT in 2 respects:

1) it has what is called a "tangential tracking" tonearm. that thing rides on a rotating shaft(just like L ron loves to do) so that it can move laterally with minimal resistance.
the tonearm itself is very short and always is in perfect alignment with the record grooves.

2) it has a mechanical tracking force mechanism:  this means, that with the lid closed, and an album playing, you can turn that TT any way you want and it will keep playing fine:
upside-down..on its side, doesn't matter.   just move real slow so you don't jag the tonearm with a sharp motion and possibly scratch your record

I had a lot of fun with that while it was on the floor loke on a slow day
the top of the line Dual like 560 or wtf, could also track with the TT at any position. I still want one of those.

edit: btw, the shorty tonearm makes for nice low resonance tonearm. if you got a new stylus(fresh magnets, fresh cantilever and suspension material) that is actually a clean sounding TT.  
It is not audiophile because it just makes too much noise(nit-pick level) and it is not super musical, BUT for normal perspective, those are nice.
bottom line: good score.

ps. that is thee best TT for outdoor events where albums get played. that right there makes it worth even more to me. thee olde "close-n-play".  fuckin' A heh

edit: wait on that "turn it any way"  .i'm starting to think that isn't the same model..lemme look into this...im remembering a semicircular clamp that went over the center of the album...
I have to be careful here. this was a 1981-1982 model..we had an older one....maybe I can find it....it has to have a record clamp to be able to be turned any way
also, the SL-DL1 got nice reviews...for $65 it's a keeper
Are you thinking about that Sony that could stand upright and people are putting in cars today? 

Vinyls.   deal.