Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeprod

yeah, I noticed that he/Rager disappeared. I don't come here much myself, but there's usually something to read if I do.

This toy is still ruling btw. The A4 looks great. Collecting synths is not my thing, so doubt that I'll be buying any more of their stuff, but Elektron makes some luxurious gear. You just feel better using it. They just released a really nice upgrade last week for my box. Added a bunch of new synth "engines" for creating specific drum sounds. It's an analog synth construct, so there are physical limitations even though it's digitally controlled. I read their forum and others, and it seems like a lot of people don't understand the physical limitations of analog synthesis. They're like, "why doesn't this thing do what my digital box will do?" and it's kinda funny. Duh, people. There are actual components literally built in there (not a chip that does it all) and no amount of software can make those components function beyond their limits. Like trying to make a big muff also work like a tube screamer.....and a fuzz face, and all the fuzz pedals that have ever been. Digital can do a lot, but analog has way more limitations. I love that about "simple" gear.
CV - Slender Fungus

Mr. Foxen

Lowballed on ebay, and had a discount voucher. Probably won't keep it though.

jibberish

for outdoor unplugged fun I snagged this acoustic bass. got it based on the reviews which said it booms as well as anything else on the wall but the pickup sucks ass.
and it stays in tune. good enough for a $200 fun toy that may never get plugged in.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean/EABC-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-1273887987370.gc

wow is it loud when you use a pick.
I don't use a pick normally with the electric bass but I may have to with this acoustic. it is hard to pluck the low e without buzzing it when trying to get loud unplugged.

Beta Cloud

i gots me this today-

and it sounds like this-

[soundcloud]soundcloud.com/iambetacloud/acapulcogold1[/soundcloud]

as the liner notes denote;
it's played through an orange tiny terror combo set at 15 watts; gain@3/tone@10/volume@10, through a les paul traditional tuned to bflat with 13-65 guage dr-tite strings. bridge pickup for the rhythm and neck pup on the solo. recorded with a zoom h2 into ableton live.

me likey. me likey alot.
why does it hurt when i pee?

bbottom

Quote from: jibberish on May 28, 2016, 09:23:05 PM
for outdoor unplugged fun I snagged this acoustic bass. got it based on the reviews which said it booms as well as anything else on the wall but the pickup sucks ass.
and it stays in tune. good enough for a $200 fun toy that may never get plugged in.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean/EABC-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-1273887987370.gc

wow is it loud when you use a pick.
I don't use a pick normally with the electric bass but I may have to with this acoustic. it is hard to pluck the low e without buzzing it when trying to get loud unplugged.

I've had a rouge acoustic/electric for like 15 years.the pickup sucked and the input jack ended up falling into the body. But I love the thing. I probably play it more than any of my other basses

giantchris

Quote from: Beta Cloud on June 17, 2016, 01:40:20 AM
i gots me this today-

and it sounds like this-

it's played through an orange tiny terror combo set at 15 watts; gain@3/tone@10/volume@10, through a les paul traditional tuned to bflat with 13-65 guage dr-tite strings. bridge pickup for the rhythm and neck pup on the solo. recorded with a zoom h2 into ableton live.

me likey. me likey alot.
That sounds pretty god damn sweet.  The only earthquake pedal I have is the depths and its awesome too. 

jibberish

heh, I agree there, my 2 cheapo acoustics are turning out to be my most fun toys...I recommend that everyone at least grab an <$100 acoustic at xmas from like GC or anyone really.

the trick with that bass is to figure a good strap solution. the entire weight of the acoustic bass is the neck. absolutely zero point in putting the neck end of the strap at the base of the neck like normal guitars. the strap has to support from the far end of the neck. then I have to figure some middle part to keep the strap on my shoulder. that guitar is huge(well not for chris, probably looks like he's holding a fucking ukulele haha)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Beta Cloud on June 17, 2016, 01:40:20 AM
i gots me this today-

and it sounds like this-

me likey. me likey alot.

Nice! Sounds a lot like Goatsnake with more dirt.

MichaelZodiac

Based on the power distortion of a Model T ;)
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Beta Cloud

[/quote]

Nice! Sounds a lot like Goatsnake with more dirt.
[/quote]

yeah man, it sounds great at every position. dimed it breaks up like fuzz, lower levels through a loud amp are nice and almost fuzzy distortion. you gotta boost the mids a little on the amp a little though, but really cool pedal. that and the knob so big you can adjust it with your foot.

jibberish

that IS pretty cool for just one knob

Mr. Foxen

Sold this one few years back, came up listed cheap non working as a tech told the guy needed all new valves. Needed one valve. And all the other valves were Mullards, so I see what the plan was there.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 07, 2016, 02:23:30 PM

Sold this one few years back, came up listed cheap non working as a tech told the guy needed all new valves. Needed one valve. And all the other valves were Mullards, so I see what the plan was there.

school me on the sound city amps bro; they're massive headroom power amp gain hiwatt sounds?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Beta Cloud on July 07, 2016, 09:19:58 PM

school me on the sound city amps bro; they're massive headroom power amp gain hiwatt sounds?

Lots of very different amps branded Sound City. The 120s like this one are nothing like Hiwatts unless you are a dodge ebay seller. 120s have eq consisting of three bandpassed gain stages, which means tons of clean gain in the pre, which correspondingly means lots of noise, when combined with not very good layout, lead dress and sometimes not very good components. This one in particular isn't too noisy, but some need loads of resistors and caps replaced, and wiring stirred up to sort the noise. The nature of the eq means it does do quite a lot of different sounds, but a lot of them are horrible, have to dial it in, if you do the guitarist thing of turning all the knobs to the same positions as your other amp, it will sound fucking AIDS, you'll see people complaining about that a lot. Also they go way loud without breakup, unless someone has put the wrong valve in the PI (should be an ECC81, not an 83), in which case it will break up loads and have shitty power since the 83 doesn't push the power valves to full output.

100w mark 1,2 and 3 are kind of like 100w Hiwatts, just not made as fancy. Most 50s are passive EQ also, which is more like a Hiwatt than the 120s, but not that much, a few have the active eq and corresponding noise.

Mark 6 are some guitar shops own brand, cheapy amp. There are new ones out too, know nothing about those. There was also German solid state cheapie jobs with nothing to do with actual Sound City.

There are 200w KT88 sound city amps too, up to mark 3 is kinda like Hiwatt but scruffy, Mark 4 200+ is active pre, all beasty amps. Any of the PA ones are worth grabbing if not too expensive, full of potential. I've had a couple stripped out and rebuilt with tweaked Model T front end with 6 EL34 output, and makes for an awesome amp.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 08, 2016, 01:00:15 AM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on July 07, 2016, 09:19:58 PM

Lots of very different amps branded Sound City. The 120s like this one are nothing like Hiwatts unless you are a dodge ebay seller. 120s have eq consisting of three bandpassed gain stages, which means tons of clean gain in the pre, which correspondingly means lots of noise, when combined with not very good layout, lead dress and sometimes not very good components. This one in particular isn't too noisy, but some need loads of resistors and caps replaced, and wiring stirred up to sort the noise. The nature of the eq means it does do quite a lot of different sounds, but a lot of them are horrible, have to dial it in, if you do the guitarist thing of turning all the knobs to the same positions as your other amp, it will sound fucking AIDS, you'll see people complaining about that a lot. Also they go way loud without breakup, unless someone has put the wrong valve in the PI (should be an ECC81, not an 83), in which case it will break up loads and have shitty power since the 83 doesn't push the power valves to full output.

100w mark 1,2 and 3 are kind of like 100w Hiwatts, just not made as fancy. Most 50s are passive EQ also, which is more like a Hiwatt than the 120s, but not that much, a few have the active eq and corresponding noise.

Mark 6 are some guitar shops own brand, cheapy amp. There are new ones out too, know nothing about those. There was also German solid state cheapie jobs with nothing to do with actual Sound City.

There are 200w KT88 sound city amps too, up to mark 3 is kinda like Hiwatt but scruffy, Mark 4 200+ is active pre, all beasty amps. Any of the PA ones are worth grabbing if not too expensive, full of potential. I've had a couple stripped out and rebuilt with tweaked Model T front end with 6 EL34 output, and makes for an awesome amp.

holy shit foxenator, that's a lot of variance right there! that's a lotta' info too; thank you very much for that.
U ROCK \M/ \M/.
and the german cheapie jobs seem super ghetto by your script... like crate ghetto.
so i gotta' ask... how can i get an affordable hiwatt, townsend/gilmour clean headroom/dirt poweramp sound? maybe a modern amp that takes a fuzz well and sounds like a hiwatt in the power section?
i've owned marshall 800's, 900's,
i'm currently using an orange th30, and it sounds fantastic to me on both channels, using the tube drive on the dirt channel and muffing or placefuzzhere on the clean channel.
but i'm feeling, "some kind'a way", and i want a more 'brit grit' kinda' toanz.

ideas?

Mr. Foxen

Nothing magic about Hiwatt power section, standard but made of good bits, and not tiny undersized iron being covered by a shitty distorted preamp. Anything with a decent power section and reasonably clean pre is what I buy here in the UK, situation is a bit diffrent in the US, no Carlsbros or Selmers about for cheap. Bugera 1960 Infinium might be worth a try, they are cheap, warrantied, have a PPIMV you can disable, actually decent sized iron in them, mate made a very passable Laney Supergroup clone with one. Guess shops would stock them where you can try.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 11, 2016, 04:42:52 AM
Nothing magic about Hiwatt power section, standard but made of good bits, and not tiny undersized iron being covered by a shitty distorted preamp. Anything with a decent power section and reasonably clean pre is what I buy here in the UK, situation is a bit diffrent in the US, no Carlsbros or Selmers about for cheap. Bugera 1960 Infinium might be worth a try, they are cheap, warrantied, have a PPIMV you can disable, actually decent sized iron in them, mate made a very passable Laney Supergroup clone with one. Guess shops would stock them where you can try.

very cool my friend, thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

ironically, you gotta' check this shit out, (came up on my local craigslist for sale today)... need to raise up the funds!
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/msd/5671069995.html

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Beta Cloud on July 13, 2016, 05:37:11 PM

ironically, you gotta' check this shit out, (came up on my local craigslist for sale today)... need to raise up the funds!

Figure if the caps have been done along with bodging in a MV. Looks like hte nice valves already got robbed.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on July 14, 2016, 09:00:58 PM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on July 13, 2016, 05:37:11 PM

Figure if the caps have been done along with bodging in a MV. Looks like hte nice valves already got robbed.

he says it's stock, no work done, (gonna probably leave it alone). shit.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Beta Cloud on July 15, 2016, 04:55:37 PM

he says it's stock, no work done, (gonna probably leave it alone). shit.

"Modified with master volume.", along with a hole cut in the side presumably for a fan, and something is in the ground connection hole under the power lead that doesn't look like it is for connecting ground. So definitely not true.

Beta Cloud

everdrone

I bought a used Roland vdrums portable drumset and made a video of it so you could see how it sounds in a doom setting:

Last night I wrote a Doom song, any constructive criticism is appreciated.  Lots of talent in this group!

https://youtu.be/MZgy-mQnnpg

Here are my lyrics:

Inside the fears that you hide
Destroy the dead inside
Every turn you look you see your past
Every time you spiral into the past

Focusing on the past and future
You keep repeating your past
ride the storm into the now
find eternity in a moment

You could leave the past for gone
Would you know your face
You could leave your fears long gone
Would you know who you are

INSIDE FOREST, THE TUNNEL INTO THE MIND
THE TRUTH IS THERE, IF YOU LET IT BE
Let go of what pulls you down, Its dragging away from who you are
Let go of your demons, disappear into the night
RIDE THE SUN RAY,  INTO THE LIGHT

PUSH THE PAST, AWAY FROM YOUR MIND
THE FUTURE A MIRAGE, A FIGMENT OF THOUGHT
DIE TO THE PAST, DIE TO THE FUTURE,
Can you find a way, can you find the now
ITS THERE IN FRONT OF YOU
CAN YOU TAKE A CHANCE
ITS THERE IN FRONT OF YOU
CAN YOU TAKE BACK

jibberish

that was a great song everdrone. I enjoyed the hell out of that all except for 1 thing, but hardly a deal breaker.

I tried to listen closely for anything. The only thing I heard was one or two of the cymbals sounded nasty in my headphones, and it is the same sample and same nastiness each hit
. it's a long chain from there to here so idk where the crap is introduced

I have to leave this on a positive:  that song kicks ass.  Also the bass has a very cool sound you have dialed in.

What software do you have to put all the different "band" members on the same screen at the same time? TIA. I really have wanted to do that ever since who knows how long ago.....

everdrone

thanks much Im glad you like it :)

the cymbals prolly got squashed with my ozone 5 on the Master, but ya that drum software is really extensive and the presets I used are for slower heavier doom music, Ill look into it, thanks for your insights

I had some luck with the video editing with sony platinum I got for $67 so I see it costs $50 now,  here it is:  https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-Platinum-Download/dp/B00MEO19XW?ie=UTF8&keywords=sony%20vegas%20platinum&qid=1463523816&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

I downloaded this program for free for 10 days and I learned how to do what I did from this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nroNQE1hirk