Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Are you lacking speaker outs?  Why bother with the extra power amp?  Maybe check your speaker impedance to your amp. But otherwise it will probably work ok down to 2 or 4 ohms.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

You can try your subwoofer with the bass rig but I will wouldn't spend much money trying to make it work. Car audio and pro audio/live music are pretty different. What will probably happen is that the extra speakers won't really make a difference, you can turn the subs on and off while you're playing and barely notice, making the extra effort (carrying them to the gig, taking up space in the jam room, extra pack space in the car) not worth it. There's a guideline in audio that in order to make a hearable difference in your bass equipment you have to double the speakers. That's true for subwoofers anyway. The sub won't be as loud as your bass cab and doesn't serve as a double of the bass cab. I would sell the car subs and spend that money helping to buy a second 1x15 that matches the cab you have (if that makes sense with your amp) or maybe use the sub in your car (why not?) or maybe use it with your home entertainment setup? That might not work either, I don't know.

I would certainly try it, if it doesnt mean buying anything expensive though.

I have four 1x18 subwoofers for my electronics setup for if I'm playing a place with a shitty PA and no subwoofers. I tried adding one more subwoofer - a special one with a servo speaker that goes extra low - and when the other subs were raging I'd turn the new one on and off and not hear a difference. In order to make the next step up in perceptible volume I'd need another 4 subs. The extra effort to carry another sub with its own amp and then spend time hooking it up wasn't going to be worth it. (I started with two subs, then I found a great deal on two more so I said why not. But I'm not going to buy another 4 more, or carry 8 subs to a gig, so I'm done trying to expand)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Quote from: RAGER on December 01, 2020, 10:44:22 PM
Are you lacking speaker outs?  Why bother with the extra power amp?  Maybe check your speaker impedance to your amp. But otherwise it will probably work ok down to 2 or 4 ohms.

The impedence is indeed what I was worried about, the subwoofer cabinet is rated at 2 ohms and my amp wants at least 4, so that's why I was bringing the poweramp into it.

renfield

Thanks Lumpy! I'll try wiring it up and report back.

renfield

Yeah it's just like you predicted. Very little sound coming out of the subwoofer cab, and certainly not enough to make a difference overall

RAGER

All wired up with WGS Green Berets both cabs. Full 1969 Marshall stack. It only took me until 51 to acquire.

Doom wall complete and functional.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: renfield on December 02, 2020, 01:00:38 PM
Yeah it's just like you predicted. Very little sound coming out of the subwoofer cab, and certainly not enough to make a difference overall

Maybe use it for home theater? Or put it in your car, jam "Paranoid" and peel out.

Muffin Man

I'll never forget doing a massive burnout in my mom's car. Its etched pretty solid and one of the dumberer things I've probably done. Feathering the brakes to make it stand still for quite a while. I mean there was just no sense to it whatsoever. I can still smell the smoke.

Lumpy

Epic... If you were jamming Sabbath (or Van Halen, Zeppelin etc) at the time, then you get bonus points. If you think points are deducted because Moms car, you would be wrong. Points added.

Didn't you have a bad ass car when you were a youth, some sort of Pontiac or Plymouth something. I may be getting people mixed up.

Muffin Man

Lumpy, my friend had a wicked 389 400 Firebird, looked stock but was so well tuned. I drove it a few times but never got on it. It was a big block afterall and I was never a fool on the street. I would have needed seat time with it first. Guessing it was a reliably low mid-12 second in the quarter car. My other friends were regularily twisting axles (the guy hooked up seriously, but twisted Ford 9" axles, yikes) or blowing up something in the rear, snapping u-joints whathaveyou at the line. My cars were unique but not really baddass. Well, except for the stupid one with a corvette engine swap in a Vega. Subframe and all to prevent twisting the unibody, Ford rearend etc. Ratchet shifter automatic. That one was interesting, a headscratcher,  basically a drag car with fender well cuttouts to fit the narrowed 9" and tires and everything. The best part about it was the sound. Not much else of it made any sense but that's what kids did back then right? Those were good times.

Sorry for the off topic, jusy a little trip down memory lane...

The Bird looked like this. '68

RAGER

Along with the speed knobs I added a pick guard and a GFS VEH zebra pickup. Still on the fence. But for only $35 it's not bad. Pretty hot though.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I dig the mods.
Heres my hotrodded j bass. Beat to fuck from years of playing.

RAGER

Love those long pick scratches.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Speaking of bass Morton. new McCartney III out. You.must check it out track 2 I think if you've cantakerous about it but the whole album is a masterstroke

renfield

$600 stimulus checks on the way, what are we getting? I want a baritone guitar.

mortlock

Quote from: Muffin Man on December 20, 2020, 11:52:40 PM
Speaking of bass Morton. new McCartney III out. You.must check it out track 2 I think if you've cantakerous about it but the whole album is a masterstroke
do you have any idea how much i hate the beatles?

James1214

Picked up this new custom headshell for the kit amp, did more research cuz I couldn't remember all the details and it's actually the BYOC Tweed Royal, which is 15 watts, and includes circuits for the Champ, Princeton, Harvard, and Deluxe all in one.

words
words

James1214

And she's in. So stoked.

words

words

Danny G

Whoah

I will be soon getting a rack mount EQ to tune in my crummy studio monitors.

Every initial mix I've done for the past 10 years has sounded great on headphones and the monitors but sounds like mud on any car stereo to the point you have to turn the bass down or risk damaging the speakers at higher volume.

Whatever sounded perfect I would have to go back and turn the bass track down a click or two and reduce overall low end by 40%

Thought my digital 8-track was the main culprit. But no, it's been my crummy studio monitors all along.

And a used rack mount EQ is cheaper than better monitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Currently pursuing this '78 with black backs.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: Danny G on December 22, 2020, 05:38:06 PM
Whoah

I will be soon getting a rack mount EQ to tune in my crummy studio monitors.

Every initial mix I've done for the past 10 years has sounded great on headphones and the monitors but sounds like mud on any car stereo to the point you have to turn the bass down or risk damaging the speakers at higher volume.

Whatever sounded perfect I would have to go back and turn the bass track down a click or two and reduce overall low end by 40%

Thought my digital 8-track was the main culprit. But no, it's been my crummy studio monitors all along.

And a used rack mount EQ is cheaper than better monitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While you're waiting for your hardware to arrive... couldn't you put an EQ on your master track for monitoring purposes, which you remove before doing your final bounce? That's better than cheap, it's free.

RAGER

Gawd I hate engineering. I'd have way more recorded if I didn't.

That old Orange cab is mine now. Out with the new. In with the old. Getting rid of the newer bottom cab with v30's.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Daym dude, you're cabinet collecting seems to be going very well indeed.

Danny G, if you mix on a computer and can save up for $500, get the Slate VSX and be in world class mixing environment (thread at gearslutz). I have a pair for mixing next year (just got my rpmchallenge email!).

RAGER

I'm done. Unless I run across a Plush cab or maybe I should put together a HIWATT stack.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Sure why not. Its consistent with the program. I'd probably get a Bogner thingy