Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

Holy shit! Using the Katana with this new Xsonic Airstep and the $12.99 Katana Librarian app, aside from the switching advantages, now is basically is like having bought every classic Boss effects pedal.

RAGER

K. I looked into it and it brought up ancient memories of the early internet guitar forums. Before this thing , guys would crawl around bath and body stores or variety stores in search of the Conair massagers and fashion some sort of BDSM contraption to age the top would through gentle waves of ecstasy. Thereby eliciting jokes about how long you needed to do this every time you played as "fore play to open 'er up" so to speak.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

BTW, to put a price tag to that point, the 50w MK2 can be bought for $200, the switch for $80 and the app for $12.99. I also spent an additional $20 to mod mine to have an external speaker 1/4 out. The tone to $ ratio is pretty f'n good.

RAGER

That's a pretty good deal if it sounds good. Like I've said in the past, seems like a lot of people like them. I know you can really go down the money rabbit hole on high end cabs and Kemper/Axe effects stuff. Seems like the Katana deal would save a lot of dough.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Quote from: neighbor664 on January 30, 2023, 01:38:36 PM
Holy shit! Using the Katana with this new Xsonic Airstep and the $12.99 Katana Librarian app, aside from the switching advantages, now is basically is like having bought every classic Boss effects pedal.

Even the discontinued ones?
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on January 30, 2023, 01:21:46 PM
So this is like an ebow that tou plug in and works across all the strings?  In order to impart a characteristic that previously only occurred with time and use?

That's it! The whole block vibrates. The rubber fingers pinch in between the strings. The whole guitar vibrates. Tonerite.

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on January 30, 2023, 01:41:12 PM
K. I looked into it and it brought up ancient memories of the early internet guitar forums. Before this thing , guys would crawl around bath and body stores or variety stores in search of the Conair massagers and fashion some sort of BDSM contraption to age the top would through gentle waves of ecstasy. Thereby eliciting jokes about how long you needed to do this every time you played as "fore play to open 'er up" so to speak.

Man, I just looked on alibaba, you can get a coin size vibrating motor for $0.35. I bet they have hundreds of sizes to choose from. The tonerite is awfully expensive $120 or something but its a solid piece and it's been on non-stop for 4 months. That Conair sounds like a good idea.

neighbor664

Quote from: Pissy on January 30, 2023, 05:45:37 PM
Quote from: neighbor664 on January 30, 2023, 01:38:36 PM

Even the discontinued ones?
Some yes, and some non Boss, like a Muff and Rat. Most are not listed under their actual model name, but rather something that eludes to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

no time

Stonergrunge

This is the Foxy Tone Box by Warm Audio, it's a Foxx Tone Machine clone...

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

Stonergrunge

Fuzz is love

Muffin Man

Pissy

Been a while since i had a "new guitar day". Ok maybe 6 months, but I swear I went 10 years prior so I'm making up for lost time.  

Not sure of the year, but it's either 80's or 90's Washburn HB-35.  Got it from Sam Ash in Miami, off Reverb. 

Grungy at the moment, but seems to play well.  Good relief in the neck.  I just unboxed it 20 minutes ago so no idea how it sounds yet.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Ok, so I think it's a 1989 model based on the serial beginning with 89xxxx.  The patina suggests around that age to me.  It's been played a lot but not really abused.  The frets could be dressed, the nut works well but it's plastic.  The tuners are smooth as silk, but they're low ratio. The action is pretty low but no real buzz, so I'm reluctant to touch the neck or action at all.  

The neck is considerably thinner than I would would expect with this type of guitar.  Almost super strat thin.  Not a deal breaker for me.  

What I don't know is if it's Korean or Japanese.  I don't think I'l find out either.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Sweet. Curious how the pups sound. Used to oust after a 335. Not so much these days but I'd entertain a nice copy like that.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Really good to my ears.  Neck pickup is pretty dark, and gets darker with the tone down.  The bridge is much brighter, more bite i like to put the tone at about 6 on the bridge.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Stonergrunge

Frost Giant Electronics Maryland Doomfest '23 Massif Fuzz:

Fuzz is love

RAGER

Is t like the Doomstick?
No Focus Pocus

Stonergrunge

Quote from: RAGER on June 17, 2023, 10:37:42 PMIs t like the Doomstick?

No idea, I haven't tried that one.

My review of the Massif: while it's true that it has very low background noise, the tone itself is way too dark, "opaque" would be a better word to describe it so I wouldn't recommend it with a strat... However, it gets along quite well with humbucker pickups or similar (I use a Reverend Flatroc) and it's also very "stackable" with my other dirt pedals like the Frost Giant Little Acid Fuzz (regardless of the position of the toggle switch) and the Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box (octave on)... sure, in those cases the background noise is brutal but as long as I don't stop playing everything is great. Now, in terms of nastiness... nah, I have more violent fuzzes than this one but it's ok.
Fuzz is love

Pissy

I pulled the trigger on a '92 LP Standard i found in the used section of the GC website, but it was in New Jersey.   I took a bunch of stuff up to my local GC to trade in, plus some cash, put the balance on a few check card accounts and they ordered it into their store, that way if I don't like it, I can get a full refund.   

It's a 60's profile neck, in cherry burst.  Plain top.  I should have it this week.  Can't wait. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Congrats on the LP. It'd have to be the right cherry burst for me. Too many of them are just a bit much thus given the moniker "Clown Burst". Good for getting the plain top too. Can't stand quilted or flame tops.  Reminds me too much of a PRS.

I've never been interested in them so I'd never played one until a few months ago at a jam. Dude there plays one so I asked if I could play a bit. Felt really cheap to me. Very lightweight. Meh. Didn't like it. Too fancy and blue. I think he paid $4k maybe more. He had a pretty cool little Carr combo that did all sorts of shit. But I'll take my LP and my 20 watt HIWATT over it. Simple.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

True, the pics I saw were rather subdued in terms of the drastic clown makeup.   Subdued is more my speed, but the cherry I prefer over tobacco or lemon or honey or unburst.  

A wine red one would do as well.  Third on my list is black.  Or maybe a goldtop. I guess I like quite a few of their colors, because any of those burst configurations I wouldn't mind.  White would be last on the list of what I'd want.  

Not green, or blue or metallic anything.  I'm okay with flaming and quilting, but prefer plain. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'd love to get another Wine Red LP.

We had to part cuz she weighed 12 pounds. I'm sure I've talked about it here.

No Focus Pocus