Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At_Giza

With a neck through baritone telecaster, hell yes...

If I did have that I would insist on horizontal 6x12s stack. That set up would melt faces, kick men in the nuts, then pee in their hats.

dunwichamps

i thought u played bass no?

It would also work for massive low clean guitar, its kind of an emulation of a SVT but simpler and too the point

At_Giza

Baritone guitar, I gave up playing the bass when my buddy decided he was better at it than guitar. Then again, I dunno why I didn't force him to play it. I'm a classically trained guitarist ffs, I have no business being banished to bassland by a shittier guitarist. I still play bass, but only to write riffs.

But yeah, that would actually work really well I think. That way I could tailor my sound with the amp and a few effects.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 09:40:24 PM
Baritone guitar, I gave up playing the bass when my buddy decided he was better at it than guitar. Then again, I dunno why I didn't force him to play it. I'm a classically trained guitarist ffs, I have no business being banished to bassland by a shittier guitarist. I still play bass, but only to write riffs.

But yeah, that would actually work really well I think. That way I could tailor my sound with the amp and a few effects.

it would be a simple amp, Bass Treble Shift Mids Volume Presence Resonance if you go the NMV route

At_Giza

Well, I might need a MV because I have had people complain that I play too loud from three houses down... Once I get out in the sticks like I plan to in the next few years I will be able to shun MV tube amps and have someone build me my dream rig (mainly because I'm absolutely rubbish at most electrical engineering).

I dunno, the only thing I think I would really like on that would be something to open up the low end, with its own controls. Because I would still like to be able to control the amount its opened, and how much of it drowns out the rest and all that BS.  :P

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 09:50:49 PM
Well, I might need a MV because I have had people complain that I play too loud from three houses down... Once I get out in the sticks like I plan to in the next few years I will be able to shun MV tube amps and have someone build me my dream rig (mainly because I'm absolutely rubbish at most electrical engineering).

I dunno, the only thing I think I would really like on that would be something to open up the low end, with its own controls. Because I would still like to be able to control the amount its opened, and how much of it drowns out the rest and all that BS.  :P

bass and resonance no good?

At_Giza

I like a lot of bass. With enough mids to fill it out, and only a bit of treble to round it all out. I dunno how to explain it in a technical way. Just that I like a low growl that isn't just flat lows.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 09:58:37 PM
I like a lot of bass. With enough mids to fill it out, and only a bit of treble to round it all out. I dunno how to explain it in a technical way. Just that I like a low growl that isn't just flat lows.

Bax stack can give you massive low end, then you can add more with Resonance, Treble and Bass are decoupled in that kind of tone control, nothing like a marshall

At_Giza

Then that's good. As long as I've got the power. Heh.

I suppose my actual desire in a rig is a series of preamps, run through a common effects system, reverb, vibrato, the like, which is in a mixing board that can mix all these preamps together, cut them out, all the things a mixing console can do, into a few different tube power amps, chief among them two absolutely clean, stereo capable, KT88 and KT120 power amps. To have that would make me have a trouser accident.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 10:10:24 PM
Then that's good. As long as I've got the power. Heh.

I suppose my actual desire in a rig is a series of preamps, run through a common effects system, reverb, vibrato, the like, which is in a mixing board that can mix all these preamps together, cut them out, all the things a mixing console can do, into a few different tube power amps, chief among them two absolutely clean, stereo capable, KT88 and KT120 power amps. To have that would make me have a trouser accident.

the 120s a very iffy right now, just not enough field testing to make sure they can be used over a long time.

88s more reliable even though they dont put out as much power, Its more important to have a really sweet OT for the best possible bass response. Get that and your golden.

Having dedicated power amps is no problem, that can be achieved. A preamp with buffered tube outputs for FX is also doable, routing could be included for switching your FX or that could be outboard

At_Giza

Yeah, I know, but before I am going to be able to have this done I will have to have a job and be all settled in somewhere. By that time I imagine that the KT120 will be quite road tested, we shall see.

Yeah, of course. I want the best possible bass response, as we've discussed, hur hur hurdy hur.

And I assumed this was possible, rather easily done, just a lot of work to get it all put together. And a lot of work means a lot of money.  :P

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 10:22:42 PM
Yeah, I know, but before I am going to be able to have this done I will have to have a job and be all settled in somewhere. By that time I imagine that the KT120 will be quite road tested, we shall see.

Yeah, of course. I want the best possible bass response, as we've discussed, hur hur hurdy hur.

And I assumed this was possible, rather easily done, just a lot of work to get it all put together. And a lot of work means a lot of money.  :P

yea 200W is prolly a 1500 to 1700 dollars Dunwich build, just a power amp and maybe 1300 to 1500

120s have issues, just ask Verrellen he builds a lot of them, I heard through the grapevine they are problematic, could be wrong tho. They have very small grid leakrs (<50k and this is a problem)

At_Giza

Yeah, this whole thing is easily probably a $10000 rig (that's including speakers).  :P

I could mosey up to Fremont and talk to him about it. Then again, I would be hard pressed to leave without an amp in tow. ;D

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 10:28:59 PM
Yeah, this whole thing is easily probably a $10000 rig (that's including speakers).  :P

I could mosey up to Fremont and talk to him about it. Then again, I would be hard pressed to leave without an amp in tow. ;D

yea thats why i am content with dual NMV wizards, 120W per side, into 2 Emperor stacks (4x12/2x15), then its just pedal selection

At_Giza

Of course. I'll probably quit buying amps after I get a silver knob Model T. Probably end up buying one of your amps, and several more due to those famous last words.  ;D

My betas, lead with a 4x12, bass with a 2x10/1x15 stack, the Hovercraft with a 2x12, the Model T with, oh I dunno, something I haven't decided yet, all Emperor'd, and some other stuff because I'm ten and I like making noise. Then I'll die happy.  :P

VOLVO)))

If speakers weren't so fucking expensive, I'd build my own cabs, loaded, and sell them for 700 bones out the door, all day.

Realistically, 400 bucks worth of speakers, 120 bucks worth of plywood, then duratex or GG, or stain, corners, blah blah I could do it and end up at 100 bones worth of profit. Which doesn't seem worth it, unless I'm doing ten at a time.

Just base prices, I can do all kinds of silly exotic work, too.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 10:37:03 PM
Of course. I'll probably quit buying amps after I get a silver knob Model T. Probably end up buying one of your amps, and several more due to those famous last words.  ;D

My betas, lead with a 4x12, bass with a 2x10/1x15 stack, the Hovercraft with a 2x12, the Model T with, oh I dunno, something I haven't decided yet, all Emperor'd, and some other stuff because I'm ten and I like making noise. Then I'll die happy.  :P

which famous last words, and I can clone a Model T

mortlock

just got the dod 240 mixer..perfect for my electronics set up..

At_Giza

"That'll be the last amp I ever buy" I've said it three times now... Ended up buying more amps. Heh.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing it using Weber 6S100 chassis, since the schem is about the place. Problem is, I'm so rubbish at this, I can only make out a bit of the schem in a practical manner.  ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mortlock on October 17, 2011, 11:01:53 PM
just got the dod 240 mixer..perfect for my electronics set up..

I'm glad that worked out for you, dude.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 11:07:02 PM
"That'll be the last amp I ever buy" I've said it three times now... Ended up buying more amps. Heh.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing it using Weber 6S100 chassis, since the schem is about the place. Problem is, I'm so rubbish at this, I can only make out a bit of the schem in a practical manner.  ;D

Use his 100W Superlead instead, a Model T is a slight tweak clone on a SuperBass but with 6550s and hifi trannies.

Check the schematics if you dont believe me

At_Giza

Oh I believe you, thought about using that one too. I dunno, I'd have to plug a few holes and drill some more. Wonderful.  :P

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 11:22:02 PM
Oh I believe you, thought about using that one too. I dunno, I'd have to plug a few holes and drill some more. Wonderful.  :P

IMO its closer to the Model T than a 6s100, the tube compliment there is very different. You can always sub the boards, they do that for me free of charge

At_Giza

Yeah, it is, at least the innards are. It just has three too few inputs, and two too many knobs. Awesome. xD

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on October 17, 2011, 11:29:03 PM
Yeah, it is, at least the innards are. It just has three too few inputs, and two too many knobs. Awesome. xD

You can condense those Model T inputs down to 3 really tho, Brite In, Normal In, Both. If you need to daisy chain heads theres a better way

You can omit knobs, make ur own faceplate thats what i do