Main Menu

Scale Help for Doom Vamp

Started by spookstrickland, February 14, 2014, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

dinger, I think they use that d-e thing on the s/t and vol4 also, or some close version of it.  iommi really does jam blues jams for the most part, just throws little extra stuff in now and then. always seemed like when jamming along to some songs the e box worked great and then you shift a hair to the d stuff, but still use most of the same notes no problem

I have no problem with this as the e minor is just like g major which is only one note different from d major(c# in d major c natural in g major) then you get to use all those notes all around d and c any way you want. chromatic runs are cool, especially when all the notes actually sort of belong

edit: maybe I should make a guitar video about this so you can save a trip and stab me in the kidneys too while you are here.
but I will use the 900 pound gorilla known as gravity on you. when I get done smoking you out you will be calling the couch daddy.

I will make you drink a porter followed by an IPA, OUT OF THE SAME GLASS!!!1!!!  (er pardon my dutch)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: I have been thinking about this, what you are looking for. actually dinger gave the global framework for what Sabbath does that you are looking for. of anyone I know of, he would know.

when they go between the Em and the d maj, this makes it legal to use c# in a riff that also has e and g, which walks you right back into em.

that c# e g is a diminished chord
so I bet a hard bass note on D would sound sick as fuck followed by those 3 notes arpeggiated over top. the half step notes clash , then you slide back into the comfy smooth sounds of pure em. 

probably really studying those specific jams would open the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
walking notes. I love playing snippets of songs with walking notes. that technique can run you through an amazing chordprogression with only 1 note changing.

first walking note example: time in a bottle. that whole dmin chord where you just walk th ed on down, awesome
-the beginning of megadeth's hangar 18 ?17(mental block ) fuck the numbers, the chord progression is as slick any other I have seen
-stairway to heaven, the 1st riff, the d string walks all the way down fromn w/e 8th fret. I love that so much. that was so awesome to come up with that
-outro to hotel California. that's a neato little stroll down the neck too. very cool. otherwise fuck the eagles squared. snoozefest.

-Sabbath snowblind has like 3 cool little chord progressions. I like the ones that use a d7th form all over the neck. ya spook learn snowblind including the solos. perfect. there are d/c jams progressions. ya. this one would help I bet.

-look through the sheet music pdf online to that bach prelude or find a tab version, even better, but check out the middle where he starts in C but then hits creepy gear and runs through a cool sequence of chords. note how he almost always leaves a couple notes stuck from the chord before. and when he does it right, he can put anything pretty much in a phrase and coherently walk you back to the root at the end, leaving the whole phrase satisfied. I totally marvel at that mad skill.

then experiment., take a standard like d minor chord and just walk one of the notes around and see what you get. work your way through all th echord forms and all the individual strings. you will find tons of cool little combos that way

next, sort of sit in the blues box and move those notes one at a time. some are nasty-cool, and some just sound bad.

maybe combining what iommi actually did and all the things you got comfy with in the scales you like could do it for you.

and I will step out of this thread, except I will eventually link my "black math" song which was intentionally creepy and sort of humorus at the same time. im still figuring out its final form but enough is there. I actually use what I was babbling about before. all those creepy chord forms. so that might help too.