Main Menu

Tips/Tricks/Hacks/Etc.

Started by Jake, January 24, 2014, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

All instruments can (and maybe should) be approached like a drum, or with a percussive approach.

Things open up for people sometimes, when they hear that (lightbulb moment). Bass guitar especially, but my brother (violin player) got some benefit from that idea (with his bowing hand). Get in there, Maynard, beat on that thing.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mutantcolors

I think more in terms or rhythm but percussion can apply all the same.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on February 20, 2014, 06:36:43 AM
All instruments can (and maybe should) be approached like a drum, or with a percussive approach.

Things open up for people sometimes, when they hear that (lightbulb moment). Bass guitar especially, but my brother (violin player) got some benefit from that idea (with his bowing hand). Get in there, Maynard, beat on that thing.

So true, I actually play my guitar with a drum stick quite often.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

4 mixer output channels has cool uses.
rager, I think mentioned he was looking for more mix channels. the lucky dog is flush with those used Mackie 4 buss mixers in his CL zone. there are none around clevo CL. ya, and there was one , but I think in Washington for $295 so yeah. price is nice when the supply is up.

anyway. with a stereo mixer, you basically use the 2 busses for your final stereo out mixdown to whatever. some mixers have effects busses and other semi-useful ways of sneaking signal through the mixer several times, but every mixer is different and the limitations are too, and you just might need the effects loop for normal use.

SO, I have had a pair of little Behringer 12ch(ahem, 4 mic channels bogus 12ch , mostly stereo pairs) mixers for a while. this represents sort of a split 4 buss mixer if both were set next to each other. what I can do is mix stuff on one, then put that into a stereo pair(to preserve panning<-like the relative volumes, they are locked once mixed down to stereo in 1st mixer) on the second mixer.

what this represents, as I babbled somewhere in the synth thread, is the ability to sub-mix some audio for feeding back out to the synths or alternate processing, free of the effects loop at this point, and still bring it back and include it in the final stereo mix. you need 2 stereo pairs to do this easily. and the 4-buss can be used as 2 entirely separate mixers if you want.

I think with the extra exploring these noise projects mortay and bobowangus(sp haha) boys do(must be bad sax karma month for me. I was digging the guitar player haha,, watched a couple of their videos) or lumpy and disco, or rager with all those output channels of synth.

it's a different game than the 3 piece guitar band mixer concept.

I am working out a way to live mix 4 channel surround. but you can see the huge ease a 4 buss will make on the final output..boom, 4 channels out, done
I have found 2 axis pots with a joystick controller and no spring return-to-center bullshit, so I would have a 4 channel trimmer if I use each end of the 2 pots.

anyway. I just want to point out that 4 buss could add possibilities to getting it done in certain situations. I guess this is a "hack"technique. so yeah, correct thread.

Instant Dan

Have an overdrive/boost combo or two overdrives with one being used for leads and want to get a lead boost out of them? Back off on the gain.

Jake

This is something I thought of yesterday while rewiring a friend's Strat. I thought of it afterwards, so I didn't get a chance to try it out, but it seems like it should work. Maybe y'all could confirm/deny my suspicions?

In lieu of having any nice solid core wire for running a ground between the pots and up to the underside of the bridge, I was thinking that an unwound stainless (or nickel) guitar string might work. Like a beefier one, say, an 18 gauge or so.

Has anyone done this with any measure of success?   
poop.

sanovine

what kind of cheap ass can't afford a few inches of wire for his guitar internals?

Jake

Well, sheesh. Thank you for the knee-jerk reactionary name calling. But it's really not a matter of it being affordable. More of a matter of it potentially being 10:01pm, and neighborhood Solid Core Wire Mart closing at 10pm.

And also, if it does work just the same, I'm all for doing it DIY. Why the hell not, ya know? Really sticking it to the Solid Core Wire Mart lobbyists in Washington.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Yeah, Jake, you Jewish or something?

Damn sure it works fine. I do it all the time. I use 24p, and use it as a common ground for all my grounds in the guitar.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Quote from: sanovine on February 25, 2014, 03:33:28 AM
Here's my DIY pharaoh, with gold leaf sun on it.

Also, "cheap ass" are harsh words coming from someone who won't compensate Mark (The Riffer) for all of his time and hard work he put into creating Pharaoh by buying one.

Jussayin.

errr... Jews sayin.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Ive also been known to use leads off old caps/resistors...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

hey jake, try soldering some guitar string first in case it won't take.
there are many alloys which just do not react with flux. the more "stainless" less corrodible metals are worse. the flux does some chemical voodoo that enables the solder to bond better or w/e it does. certain plated metals are a bitch to solder too.

I would endorse other jake's use of component leads. those ARE meant for soldering and they work great.  I see no difference between stripping jumpers and saving already-stripped component leads.

edit: jake , do you have any romex laying around the house from w/e electrical work? that solid core copper would rock as a ground buss, and seems like everyone has a little roll of that somewhere with a couple spare outlets etc.

edit: old lamp cord from some broken appliance, tool, w/e is like 18awg or w/e. pretty nice even if it is stranded. I am a scavenger, no doubt haha.

edit: speaking of scavenging power cords,  I fixed the 2 prong death cord on my old Kustom combo with a butchered computer power cord. old power cords,I save them all.
but I saved the actual power cord after cutting off the old plug. wire is wire.

before something goes in the trash, I bone out useful looking switches, motors and valuable scrap metals, and I always strip out as much wiring as I can and just throw it in a scrap wire box. I will never have to buy hookup wire. it is all around everywhere.

VOLVO)))

Eh, I've never had any problems soldering guitar strings to things, when I put new strings on, I usually solder impregnate the ball end where the winds start. Cuts down on breakage back there...

Also, I scavenge everything, too. I don't buy things anymore.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Cable had a good scrap value for a while, but now China has got a bunch of copper mines it has dropped, leaving me with a massive sack of scavenged cable, so sorted for spare wire. I'm keen on solid stiff wire for grounding guitars, stops the pots free rotating if the nut comes loose. Plus something solid to cable tie all the wires to so it drops in the cavity easy.

RAGER

Quote from: Jake on February 26, 2014, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: sanovine on February 25, 2014, 03:33:28 AM
Here's my DIY pharaoh, with gold leaf sun on it.

Also, "cheap ass" are harsh words coming from someone who won't compensate Mark (The Riffer) for all of his time and hard work he put into creating Pharaoh by buying one.

Jussayin.

errr... Jews sayin.

:D
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Quote from: jibberish on February 26, 2014, 04:10:51 PM
edit: jake , do you have any romex laying around the house from w/e electrical work? that solid core copper would rock as a ground buss, and seems like everyone has a little roll of that somewhere with a couple spare outlets etc.

Since you mention it, after that last building building I wired I have some 750KCMIL 4 conductor MC left over, I wonder if it'll fit in my fiddle?
Problem solving whiskey!

mutantcolors

I prefer to use that as instrument cable. That's just me.

jibberish

Quote from: mutantcolors on February 27, 2014, 08:31:14 PM
I prefer to use that as instrument cable. That's just me.
we have discussed this several times already.  that industrial strength vibrator isn't the kind of instrument we mean here.
although I heard those Nymphobator6000's in yellow are really REALLY rare and may be collectible like by perv lawyers etc.

liquid, split the preamp signal into your amp. that pre could run a few more channels all at once before the collective impedance drop sucked it dry.

mr foxen, that is very tidy. I really like how you cable-dressed the signal wires to the copper "rod".  very neat, very stout. SOLD! I am doing that shit from now on too.