Main Menu

Acoustic guitar

Started by bass sic, June 11, 2012, 08:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

I have a quick stupid question. What kind of acoustic would be used for blues type playing? As in dreadnaught? Classical? I don't know shit about this and I been looking into getting one. Also would a resonator do me any good? Is it the same as an acoustic? Like I said, I know shit about this.

jibberish

i would say the one that sounds and plays real nice.

the only scary acoustic to me, are those flemenco style ones with the really wide flat neck.

i was just playing on a wall of acoustics.   i actually found a black $200fender with a high fret cutaway that played and sounded awesome.    i found a bunch of weird feeling guitars and ironically i dont like the feel of martins.
there was one offbrand acoustic on the wall that the high e string bottomed out at about the 7th fret. heh wtf was that even out on display for = 100% unplayable

my son just bought a nice taylor, and a nice rode mic to record it = \m/  im looking forward to seeing his new guitar.

Metal and Beer

Just go play some blues on the various types o' 'cousts, the bluesier sound to you is the way to go. (serious). I like resonators, nylon strings, steel, smallbodies, they're all different brushes for different strokes, etc.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Submarine

Yamaha CPX8 can be found for fairly cheap on ebay.  Comes with an LR Baggs pickup/mic combo.  Great sounding/looking guitar and very underrated.

fallen

I've been looking at those resonator guitars on Rondo for a while. Super cheap and could be an awesome blues guitar.

I love the sound of slide on a resonator. Listen to this track, it sounds like I'm sitting right beside him. Simultaneously super motivating because it's so awesome and demotivating because getting that smooth and natural ain't easy.  :)

bass sic

That Johnny winter is exactly what I'm thinking, that kind of playing and tone.

RacerX

The resonator has a very specific sound. If that's the sound you're going for, look into 'em. The only other design that even sounds close is something like this parlor guitar:

That said, I've barely put my resonator down since I bought her. She whines, growls & moans, and I fucking love her.
Livin' The Life.

I,Galactus

^ agreed, except that I haven't put down my parlor since I got it.

Classical (i.e.) nylon strings probably aren't going to give you the sound you want if you're digging Johnny Winter's tone.  He's a republic guitars endorsee, IIRC.  Plenty o' resos and a parlor to choose from there.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"