Laptop and interface for recording

Started by RAGER, July 23, 2014, 03:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everdrone

cant argue with 4 starz on amazon lol

ya some products are better than others, maybe our levonos were a bad model or somethin'

I know its out of your league but just check out these to get an idea of how they are built for mixing:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS200v3

http://pcaudiolabs.com/

eyeprod

from my experience I would suggest avoiding windows 8 if possible. 7 is fine, but 8 is pointedly unlikeable to me. I've never used it with a music app, tho.
CV - Slender Fungus

everdrone

I use windows 8 every day and I dont know much about computer stuff, its great!  not sure about all the bugs and stuff that a computer programmer may encounter or be aware of though, I know windows 7 was slow and horrible.

but, you just turn on your DAW and you dont interact with windows so its all good no matter

fallen

The MacBook Pro I use is around 3 years old and runs fine (when it's not full of TV shows). The specs are 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of ram. Anything you buy today will kick this computer's ass and it still seems to be able to function fine until I get up to a high number of guitar tracks with effects running. I'm actually surprised I've gone this long with so little ram.

I'll say it again. Buy an external hard drive at the same time, keep your music projects backed up.

agent of change

Rager, please post some updates when you make your choices and start recording. I got so pissed at latency issues and having to download drivers and other bullshit I gave up for a while, but would like to be inspired by a success story to begin again.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

Jake

I know Mac is more up front, but I've had great longevity and consistency with them. 

'00–07: Power Mac 450mhz G4
'02–07: PowerBook 1ghz G4
'07–present: iMac Intel 2.4ghz dual core

Three computers over 14 years seems like a solid track record. None of them ever needed serviced or experienced anything catastrophic, I should note. I think it has a lot to do with Apple being the only player that builds both hardware and software. Helps with stability and such, I'd imagine.
poop.

RAGER

I thought I needed a Mac but I know myself well enough that it would be a waste of money and all that stuff would be lost on me. I've had even better luck than you with pc laptops.  This Compaq presario single core is only the second one I've had.  Before that was an ancient desktop.  I've been using this thing for a little over 4 years.  So I think the Lenovo will suit me for at least a few years ok.  Maybe I can spend a little more on an interface or a hardware pre.

aoc, you bet I will post updates and I will be inundating this board with recordings.
No Focus Pocus

everdrone

yes!  I need someone to dwarf my efforts with inundating the board with my recordingz  ;)

eyeprod

I have also had a solid experience with pc laptops. No problems to speak of and I've owned 4 in the last 15 years. one was stolen, or else it would probably be 3 total in that time.

And I manage to thereby avoid apple. Sorry but I'm not into a device that requires me to input personal info on the first startup just to get the damn thing going. I used to use a mac when print shops required mac files, but that was almost 20 years ago. fuck that one button shit.

CV - Slender Fungus