Ever use a clear drumhead on a snare?

Started by agent of change, September 25, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent of change

I prefer the coated but we're about to get colored floodlights and one shining up from below might be coolest with a pinstripe to let more light through. Thoughts?
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

justJon

Waaaay back in the day, I used clear black dot CS on my snare batter. Really didn't care for the sound as I recall, but I've gotten a lot better at tuning over the years, so....?
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

They sound shrill as fuck. I use a bronze snare, though, so...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I'm sure I have an opinion laying around here somewhere.  Just can't find it.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Colored Fleshlights, you say?

*activates priest-signal*
Livin' The Life.

mutantcolors

If you aren't using brushes (which none of us are) the coating is mostly useless. People have just grown accustomed to that as a snare head.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: RAGER on September 25, 2014, 03:08:36 PM
I'm sure I have an opinion laying around here somewhere.  Just can't find it.

Quote from: mutantcolors on September 25, 2014, 05:49:31 PM
If you aren't using brushes (which none of us are) the coating is mostly useless. People have just grown accustomed to that as a snare head.

Oh, there it is. Yeah, there's no sonic difference, especially in "our" kind of music
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

I use a clear mylar marching head on my snare. it's a 2 ply reinforced jobby with a 1" 7 mil dampening ring  on the underside of the head. It's actually the total opposite of what Jake described (dead-ish, warm sounding, with an seemingly inherently lower pitch) but that's because it's purpose build for a 1970's marching snare, being played in a line with other 1970's marching snares. For recording I'll take a coated emperor every time, but they die (or "bowl out") too quickly for me to use for regular practice.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.