Dot archtop pickup recommendation

Started by OUTLANDAH, September 13, 2014, 11:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUTLANDAH

I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my epiphone dot with some low-output humbuckers.

Problem is I don't know where to start looking for low output.

Can anyone recommend some neck and bridge pickups to check out, or some companies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake

Not sure what your budget might be, and I've never knowingly heard them before, but Fralin pretty famously underwinds his pups.
poop.

Angostura

showdown

www.zhangbucker.com

If you can't find what you need, David will make it for you. I have a few of his pickups and they're absolutely top notch.

Omlet

Some PAFs?

Or maybe something from Bare Knuckle Pickups - top-quality stuff, unfortunately pretty expensive.

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

kirky

Not a humbucker but I LOVE my GFS mean 90s. I have them in a Sheraton.

AgentofOblivion

I highly recommend replacing the humbuckers with P-90s in humbucker-sized housings.  If you like the Graveyard sound, that is.  I think P90s are the perfect in between of single coils and humbuckers, and that might be right up your ally since you seem to want something less powerful than the standard 'bucker. 

kirky

The Gibson "57 Classics" are supposed to be great and are the ones in a real 335.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on October 17, 2014, 01:50:16 PM
I highly recommend replacing the humbuckers with P-90s in humbucker-sized housings.  If you like the Graveyard sound, that is.  I think P90s are the perfect in between of single coils and humbuckers, and that might be right up your ally since you seem to want something less powerful than the standard 'bucker.  

seconded. especially in the neck w/the tone rolled back. had one in a guitar i sold, (i fucking hate myself for it. it was a cheap epiphone dot but still haven't had a guit that sounded like that since).

you may mant to watch/hear this with headphones, it's a stereo comparison w/a 335 with duncan p90 on the left and 57classic on the right-

the phat cats go for about $75-$80, and you can get em' at guitar center without the wait from a custom maker.
good luck-
why does it hurt when i pee?

showdown

I have both the Mean90 and the Phat Cat, and the GFS is just as good as the SD to be honest. It's a little more lively in the top end and under half the price. I call that a bargain (the best I ever had).

VOLVO)))

Go GFS. Had a Phat Cat, the Mean 90s are better.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.