Main Menu

Orange OR 50?

Started by Andrew Blakk, November 25, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Blakk

Are they any good?

Felt the need of a Orange lately and that one seems quite interesting.

RAGER

The only Oranges I've played are my 72 or120 and a friends early or80. Wonderful amps both. Can't speak to the new stuff. But I do know that there's plenty of debate oout there. Perhaps more than the Electric Amps discussion.
No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

Current gen Oranges don't have much in common with the previous ones aside from being orange. Fender type tone stacks make them pretty generic.

The Shocker

I feel like you have to pay extra for the Orange name vs other comparable amps.

RAGER

Have you looked into Model T's lately?  You'll wish your Orange said Sunn((0))).
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Shoulda kept my T longer.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Andrew Blakk

Hey thanks for the input.

I tried a Custom shop 50 yesterday at the store and it sounded rather good to my ears at least.

Quite expensive though!

Dylan Thomas

As an Orange guy, I agree that the older ones and the newer ones are two different animals.  That's all I'll say on the tones themselves, as from there, it's a matter of personal preferences.

I will also agree that you're paying more for the logo.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Andrew Blakk

Oh well. I acctually got myself a used Custom Shop 50.

It looks good! (And sounded great in the store. We´ll see how it works for real during the weekend lol)

Yes, I do also agree with the paying for the logo thing. I've never really cared bout that earlier and always stayed away from certain brands.

But now all of a sudden at 40 it made sence buying an Orange.  ;D

chille01

I have one, and I dig it.  Having never played a vintage Orange so I can't compare, but I can compare it to the other two 70's tube heads I have.  Fender Bassman (Silverface) and Traynor YBA-1.  It is definitely better capable of good overdriven sounds at reasonable volumes than those two, thanks to the master volume.  Gives me a good, gritty, midrange kind of tone that I can keep under control.  The Fender isn't too loud, but gives me a looser, browner sound than the other two.  Overall I still like my Traynor the best, but it's just so fuckin' LOUD.

In a few weeks I am going to be reamping some guitar tracks a buddy and I recorded via DI/amp modeller a while back.  We're going to make a day out of playing back those clean tracks through every amp, cab, pedal, and mic combo at our disposal and see what kind of sounds we can get.  Looking forward to it.