Main Menu

offbeat speaker cabs?

Started by justinhedrick, April 12, 2011, 01:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

a buddy of mine has a LAB series 4x12 that he ripped the tolex off of that sounds awesome.

i've also seen some bands rock BFI bullfrog cabs and bag-end stuff.

i personally like the randall carpet covered cabs that have the jaguar speakers. and kustom stuff.

what say you?

Discö Rice

Lumpy has some bag end stuff (2 1x18 cabs, I believe), but I seem to remember him not liking them. I've seen footage of David Wm. Sims playing through 3 bag end 1x15 cabs to great effect, though.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Horns, horns, horns  ;)

and live

that's my favourite EV cab obscured by my ass.

Discö Rice

Please tell me that's not your touring rig. My back hurts just looking at it.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Nickelnuts McFroth on April 12, 2011, 02:37:41 PM
Was just me and Gzus hauling the cabs and drums.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 12, 2011, 02:51:51 PM
:'(

hayseed

I am assuming your drummer hates you for making him carry all of that! Luckily he IS a drummer and not a singer because you would never get help from one of those types. HAHA!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

Quote from: hayseed on April 12, 2011, 03:12:29 PM
I am assuming your drummer hates you for making him carry all of that! Luckily he IS a drummer and not a singer because you would never get help from one of those types. HAHA!
Haha so true.

Hemisaurus

Actually he wants me to bring more, he figured we should have enough speakers the same size and construct a drum riser out of them, not quite there yet as the cabs are all slightly different widths, but maybe a couple of OSB boards and a few wooden spacers and we might be able to git 'r' done.

I'd love to get a few custom horns built for the purpose, all the same size, that lock together literally and acoustically,  I've got a buddy who is a carpenter, the main pain would be transport, the above wall took up all the floorspace in the van, we had to squeeze the drums in on top.

If you could make collapsible speaker cabs, with well sealed joins, you'd be onto something for bass anyways. For guitar you can do it greenman style.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 12, 2011, 03:19:53 PM
Actually he wants me to bring more, he figured we should have enough speakers the same size and construct a drum riser out of them, not quite there yet as the cabs are all slightly different widths, but maybe a couple of OSB boards and a few wooden spacers and we might be able to git 'r' done.

I'd love to get a few custom horns built for the purpose, all the same size, that lock together literally and acoustically,  I've got a buddy who is a carpenter, the main pain would be transport, the above wall took up all the floorspace in the van, we had to squeeze the drums in on top.

If you could make collapsible speaker cabs, with well sealed joins, you'd be onto something for bass anyways. For guitar you can do it greenman style.

Green Man "Butt Pussy" Joke in

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

The Bag End subwoofers are awesome, they are just not very efficient (loud). 96dB @ 1watt, or whatever the nomenclature is. Subwoofers can be small, loud or low: pick two. (Similar to cheap/fast/good). And then add in "affordable". The Bag Ends are small and low. They do best in a small room (unless you get a bunch of them, and then you can't qualify your setup as "small")

A lot of people like Bag End cabs for bass (one or two 1x15s for example). I don't know about them, though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

eyeprod

this is a good thread idea. I've got an unusual open back 2x12 cab that is probably from the 70's or 80's and built like a tank. it's wood covered with fiberglass and has cast aluminum handles & a badge on the grill that says, RAM. It came with some rare fane crescendo speakers that are evidently the same that david gilmour uses in a hiwatt cabinet for his clean sound. I could never find info on the cab, but I found the speaker info on a hiwatt forum. Anyway, I paid $300 for the cab and an acoustic 140. Not a steal, but I was happy because I think the speakers alone are worth that. I've got vintage 30's in it now.
CV - Slender Fungus

mawso

I had this cool oversize closed-back 1x12 for ages, the like of which I'd never seen before nor since.  It was covered in carpet, and was taller/wider than most 2x12s, and was bout as deep as it was wide.  I toasted the stock speaker not long after I got it, and put in an Eminence Private Jack, and after that it sounded spectacular.  The back panel was really thin - I have no idea who made it as I bought it second hand and it had no brand name on it.  Was probably done in somebody's backyard.  My only frustration with it was that it was extremely directional, and on stage it would deafen the front row while you didn't get any of it - but you gotta expect that with a 1x12 I guess - I had to sell it after moving due to space considerations.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on April 12, 2011, 07:11:07 PM
The Bag End subwoofers are awesome, they are just not very efficient (loud). 96dB @ 1watt, or whatever the nomenclature is. Subwoofers can be small, loud or low: pick two. (Similar to cheap/fast/good). And then add in "affordable". The Bag Ends are small and low. They do best in a small room (unless you get a bunch of them, and then you can't qualify your setup as "small")

A lot of people like Bag End cabs for bass (one or two 1x15s for example). I don't know about them, though.
Haha right that all rings a bell now. Sorry I misquoted you.

justinhedrick

Quote from: eyeprod on April 12, 2011, 10:47:12 PM
this is a good thread idea. I've got an unusual open back 2x12 cab that is probably from the 70's or 80's and built like a tank. it's wood covered with fiberglass and has cast aluminum handles & a badge on the grill that says, RAM. It came with some rare fane crescendo speakers that are evidently the same that david gilmour uses in a hiwatt cabinet for his clean sound. I could never find info on the cab, but I found the speaker info on a hiwatt forum. Anyway, I paid $300 for the cab and an acoustic 140. Not a steal, but I was happy because I think the speakers alone are worth that. I've got vintage 30's in it now.

$300 for a head/cab. $150 apiece? i'd say that's a pretty damn good deal!

eyeprod

ha thanks, and you know what? I remember now that I was paying $300 for the cab, and he offered the amp for $50. So $350 in all. Still very fair imo
CV - Slender Fungus

Ignoramus

I play a West Labs cab from the late 60's. Offbeat, but vintage.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Ignoramus on April 14, 2011, 11:05:25 AM
I play a West Labs cab from the late 60's. Offbeat, but vintage.

now what's the deal with that? is it 4x12 or something?

Ignoramus

It's a 4 x 12. new eminence speakers. Seriously weighs at least 150 lbs. no wheels. very old and rad.  newb question, but how do I post a pic?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Ignoramus on April 14, 2011, 11:45:25 AM
It's a 4 x 12. new eminence speakers. Seriously weighs at least 150 lbs. no wheels. very old and rad.  newb question, but how do I post a pic?
You put your picture online somewhere, like flickr or facebook, click the icon that looks like a picture and you get two little tags, paste the URL to your picture between those two tags. [img]http://mywebsite.com/mypicture.jpg[/img]

Ignoramus

Thanks for the info Hemisaurus! My favorite amp company. Fuck the rest or something or other...

VOLVO)))

Yeah, if you ever fuck up posting pics, I generally fix it without telling you. I also change some of Herb's words so they don't make as much sense later on in the thread, to see if anyone notices.  ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.