Main Menu

Big Muff Mods

Started by eyeprod, April 18, 2011, 09:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeprod

I mentioned one of my "mods" a month or two back and finally got around to opening it up and taking some pics. Well I had this weird feedback loop going on, but didn't know what exactly was happening. I figures it out this weekend and it's a new mod that I have not found on the net. I rigged it up in a switch, so I can use the muff as normal, or put it into super self oscillate mode, as I've come to call it. I have a voltage drain on my muff, and no tone stack. That might have something to do with how mine works. Turn the voltage and sustain up to about 3 o'clock, and the thing starts to self oscillate and sounds like a synth. Can be made to sound theremin-like by varying the sustain level. You have to do it manually, but it makes for a nice "vibrato" effect that also changes pitch. When playing notes, it sounds like an octave fuzz out of control, but you don;t even have to play any notes and the thing takes off on it's own. Even if the voltage and sustain is low enough to avoid self-osc, it still has a much more fuzzy character than in normal mode. The other weird thing about it is that even when the pedal is off, but in super osc mode it still affects any pedals that are before the muff in the chain. I had my fuzz rite clone before it yesterday and it made the fuzz rite even more fizzy and sputtery. Pretty cool. Thought I'd share

So, it's a wire to the first diode from the input jack. That's it.

EDIT: Just to be clear, that black wire is going through the hole in the board and is wired to the switch.

CV - Slender Fungus

Hemisaurus

Pasted into the tech thread, maybe should have put it in the Amp Pedal Guts thread too ???

eyeprod

yeah cool, thanks. I thought there was a pedal guts thread.

I titled it big muff mods because I think it's a common enough subject. I love how some pedals are so easily tweakable. I mess with my big muff every year or so.
CV - Slender Fungus