Main Menu

fx on vox?

Started by tomz., April 15, 2011, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomz.

For playing live that is.  Anyone use 'em?  Do any guitar pedals produce good results?  I would like to have some options for different songs and whatnot, delay, chorus, distortion, reverb, etc.

Not completely against an all in one unit if it's reasonable, but individual pedals I can pick at and collect slowly..

I need all the help I can get with vox, not afraid to admit that  ;)

motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

peyotepeddler

ha ha

i was about to comment that pluggin' straight into a ac30 is heavenly to my ears:)

but yeah, had a singer that used a boss "harmonizer", i think that was the one, was blue, late 90's, used it for octave down stuff

was kinda like the intro to "hell awaits" when tom says, "welcome back", pretty satanic ha ha, it worked nicely, good tracking

Mike_Sims

I've used delays before for vocals. MXR Carbon Copy to be exact, sounded great. Same with a boss Chorus pedal. I actually have a multi-fx board thing I'm going to start running with my vocals. I think Will from Zoroaster always uses some kind of FX (usually delay and reverb)

justJon

RacerX may jump in and add details, but live, and recorded, we use the TC HElicon vocal unit. It's got more FX than we'll probably ever use, but it's got some really good choices for some of our stuff. Lotsa(10?) user progammable presets too.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Discö Rice

That TC Helicon Voicelive touch looks really cool. It's just been added to my shopping list. I promise not to use auto tune for any reason.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

tomz.

Quote from: peyotepeddler on April 15, 2011, 11:58:07 PM
i was about to comment that pluggin' straight into a ac30 is heavenly to my ears:)
I sing through an old fender 1 x 12 ss amp right now, I'd fucking LOVE to have a ac30 to sing thru!  Use a green bullet mic, shit, that's what I need!

I'd be happy if I can get this sort of vox tone.  Kinda distorted, but not blown out...

sorry if there's an ad in front.  you tube has gotten lame...
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

LogicalFrank

When we record vox in the studio, almost all of them go through a Fender Champ which is then miced and that's what we end up w/ on the tape. It is a nice, compressed but pretty natural sounding distortion. We've used other amps to good effect as well but the Champ is nice because the lower volume helps w/ feedback.

I'd be willing to bet most distorted vocal sounds you hear on albums are caused either by the vocalist cupping the mic or from overdriving a mic preamp or the channel on the board.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

LogicalFrank

Oh and our singer uses one of those green Line 6 delays. They are completely awesome for pretty much everything. Guitar distortion pedals don't seem to work that well, just kind of nasty sounding.

If anyone has a good way to get a nice Leslie speaker type effect on vocals, I'd like to hear about it.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

inductorguitars

Cursed71

I'm late to the party, but it's great to see the jam room resurrected. Great work!-had to get that out of the way.  As for the topic of this thread I've discovered leslie cabs and preamp pedals are amazing for live and studio.  Not just on the fast setting where the effect is really pronounced but pretty much every setting enhances the vox.

bbottom

When I did all of the vocals tracks for my old band we had the engineer use one of his programs to make my vocals sound like they were coming through a gigantic sub woofer for this song

The vocals start around 2:30 or so.

I was looking at the TC helicon create to use for vocals for my newest band in live settings. Once I get some extra scratch it will be mine

spookstrickland

I'd love to get that John Lennon distorted "Walrus" vocals tone.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Quote from: spookstrickland on April 27, 2011, 03:10:59 AM

Not quite sure how you'd hook it up though  :)

Hmm, a slightly more practical version (ie. not designed to plug into Abbey Road)

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 27, 2011, 04:49:13 AM
Quote from: spookstrickland on April 27, 2011, 03:10:59 AM

Hmm, a slightly more practical version (ie. not designed to plug into Abbey Road)

That's pretty cool.  That's the next thing I want to learn is how to build tube circuits.  The High voltages are kind of scary though.

Thanks

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

170V isn't too scarey, in fact you could probably build that circuit using an old 6-12V wall wart or two.

Split the AC signal coming in, you can run the line direct into a full wave rectifier, that's going to bump your 120V up to around 165V DC or so for the plates. Use the transformer from the wall wart to get your 6 or 12V heater voltage.

Or if you have two similar wall warts, you can make a more isolated circuit. Run the power into one which gives you say 12V AC, and use that for the heaters, now run the 12V AC into the secondary of the other, which will step it back up to 120VAC and then rectify that for your 165-170V DC. Like below, except they are rectifying the heater voltage too, which helps make things cleaner.

inductorguitars

From T2. It has 2 different impedance outputs.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: inductorguitars on April 27, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

From T2. It has 2 different impedance outputs.

I actually meant power, dopey me missed the bit that said 30mA at 380V :-*

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 27, 2011, 04:28:20 PM
170V isn't too scarey, in fact you could probably build that circuit using an old 6-12V wall wart or two.

Split the AC signal coming in, you can run the line direct into a full wave rectifier, that's going to bump your 120V up to around 165V DC or so for the plates. Use the transformer from the wall wart to get your 6 or 12V heater voltage.

Or if you have two similar wall warts, you can make a more isolated circuit. Run the power into one which gives you say 12V AC, and use that for the heaters, now run the 12V AC into the secondary of the other, which will step it back up to 120VAC and then rectify that for your 165-170V DC. Like below, except they are rectifying the heater voltage too, which helps make things cleaner.

Thanks.  I really need to get myself a good book and read up on tubes.  I'm pretty comfortable with transistors but tubes are still kind of a mystery to me.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org