Main Menu

Drum fills/Moeller Technique

Started by Discö Rice, October 16, 2011, 05:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

My fills are starting to feel a bit stale,  so I've been focusing on using the Moeller technique to improve speed and stability on my flam rudiments. This shit's hard, but I've been going in deep lately, having recently come to the conclusion that my rudiments aren't where I'd like them to be.

Jim Chapin showing how it's executed properly (as far as single stroke triplets are concerned)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNb-kUPwMI

Here's Jojo Mayer ripping it up on a practice pad (Moeller-related). Holy shit.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6116887846440729624

Thoughts? Ideas?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Anything Jojo says goes, His explanation of breakbeat is fucking spot on, and helped me enormously.

I've been trying to bring off-time into on-time, when I'm playing with people. Shit that doesn't sound in time, but always lands on beat and just sounds interesting.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 16, 2011, 05:09:01 PM
Anything Jojo says goes, His explanation of breakbeat is fucking spot on, and helped me enormously.

Have you picked up his "Secrets Weapons for the Modern Drummer" DVD yet?

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 16, 2011, 05:09:01 PM
I've been trying to bring off-time into on-time, when I'm playing with people. Shit that doesn't sound in time, but always lands on beat and just sounds interesting.

Listen to LOTS of Meshuggah. Ideas abound.

RAGER

The last drummer i saw that inspired me was Kevin from 400 Blows.  These guys have been one of my fav bands for about 8 years.  They hadn't been to Portland in like 3 years and Kevin is their second drummer.  I really dug their original drummer so I was really interested to see Kevin.  holy shit.  He does a lot of open handed drumming  really cool shit.  He plays in this other band you might of heard of too.  They're called The Circle Jerks.  Any ways i got to see em twice a couple weeks ago.  Portland and then my buddy's opened for them in Seattle so I rode up with em and saw them again.  Kevin is a badass drummer.

No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

2 over 3 and 3 over 4 patterns work nicely for that dizzy, shifty, swirly feel. Also, try laying down odd time grooves on top of even time riffs.

Quote from: RAGER on October 16, 2011, 06:19:24 PM
The last drummer i saw that inspired me was Kevin from 400 Blows.  These guys have been one of my fav bands for about 8 years.  They hadn't been to Portland in like 3 years and Kevin is their second drummer.  I really dug their original drummer so I was really interested to see Kevin.  holy shit.  He does a lot of open handed drumming  really cool shit.  He plays in this other band you might of heard of too.  They're called The Circle Jerks.  Any ways i got to see em twice a couple weeks ago.  Portland and then my buddy's opened for them in Seattle so I rode up with em and saw them again.  Kevin is a badass drummer.

Yeah he's good. Their original drummer, Ferdinand, was also fantastic.

RAGER

Yep Ferdie is killer and a cool guy too.  Seen them a bunch of times
No Focus Pocus