Main Menu

Any Peavey love

Started by justinhedrick, May 03, 2011, 03:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worthless Willie

Thanks man.  Your 800 is an '81, right?  I dunnnnnnooo....

I have an '81.  It rules ass.  Does yours have 6550's or el34's?
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

'86. EL-34's... it DOES rule, but it doesn't breathe fire. I wanted to trade it straight up for an OR120, or a Model T. Not happening, but the Pre-500 Dual Recs fetch 1800-2500 bucks. That kind of bling WILL get me an OR120 + more fun shit, or a Model T...

I most likely won't do it. I'm having a hard time parting from the 800. I think I need to find it a cab that it likes, or two... or four, and it'll be tits. The one I'm using it with now is trebly and balls. I need to get my new shop up and running in the next couple weeks, I'll just fucking build a couple Emperor knockoffs and keep the 800. It may be exactly what I want, but the cab might be what is lacking...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Are we talking about modding the 800 or the Windsor?

800's are very nice to mod, lots of easy mod's to up the gain or bass response, etc. etc.

Looking at the Windsor schematic, very, very similar to the 800 BUT I imagine the PCB layout will be slightly more horrible

Marshall guts look like this

See how you don't need to dismantle the front panel or remove anything really to change the components.

Windsor looks like this

Hmmm.

I,Galactus

I don't gig any today, but I've got Peavey love from back in the day.

First 'lectric rig was a Raptor strat knock-off running into a RAGE practice amp.

Sounded pretty damn good dimed, IIRC.  Or w/ my first pedal, a dan-o fab tone.

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 05, 2011, 01:32:45 AM
In other news, some guy offered to trade me a Pre-500 Mesa Dual rec for my JCM800... don't know if want.

I'd go for it, if you were thinking of trading it anyway.  Heavy metal d-bags will pay top friggin dollar for a spiffy 2 channel DR.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Hemisaurus

and this is why people say Marshall hasn't made a good amp since the JCM 800. Here's a JCM 900, thankfully we haven't got to mounting the tube sockets one a PCB yet, but note all pots and jacks on the boards and the sudden proliferation of op-amps to help you get that brown / metal sound you so desire. No passive tonestack here.

LogicalFrank

I think some 800s are like that too.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Hemisaurus

Oh yeah, someone pointed that out to me earlier I'd never seen or heard of it before (and I just plumb forgot again :-X).

I think it was if the input jacks are vertical, it's an older one, if the input jacks are horizontal, they are mounted on the PCB, yeah?

Yep, buried in the show of your rigs thread

http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg10469#msg10469

I guess it's still mod'able, just more of a PITA, at least it doesn't have the active tonestack :'(

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 05, 2011, 11:13:46 AM
Oh yeah, someone pointed that out to me earlier I'd never seen or heard of it before (and I just plumb forgot again :-X).

I think it was if the input jacks are vertical, it's an older one, if the input jacks are horizontal, they are mounted on the PCB, yeah?

i think that is GENERALLY correct. i want to say that some of the early horizontal inputs are non pcb mounted. 

Pundan

I still use a shitty old Peavey Bandit 112 combo at home from time to time, that's where much of my riffs get birthed on. I gotta get some nice tubage at home!
Whilst on the subject of Peavey, I just saw this on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-Vintage-Peavey-Amp-Package-Pick-up-only-NH-/200604210466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4f15522

Hemisaurus

So after all that, how was the Deuce, Justin? I noticed an one for sale locally.

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2363709042.html

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 07, 2011, 09:10:39 AM
So after all that, how was the Deuce, Justin? I noticed an one for sale locally.

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/2363709042.html

Drummer forgot it!!!! but i'm going to try it this week. i think his is older and all solid state. but that $200 for that amp is a good deal.

Hemisaurus

I can't find any in the Peavey archives that are all solid state, they all seem to be like the latter MusicMan amps, solid state pre, solid state phase splitter, tube power section. I can tell you my MM HD-130 kicked some serious ass, though it had a tube phase splitter, if that made any difference I don't know.

It seems that one for sale is a VT Deuce, which looks schematically similar to all the rest, but it shared it's guts with the Peavey Mace, the difference being the Mace used 6 6L6's and the Deuce used 4.

Oddly I didn't see any notation for a change in power supply, though I only glanced at it, but that can't be right, otherwise you could just add the missing tubes to the Deuce and have a Mace. That would be cool, like the opposite of pulling tubes to make your amp quieter, just add some more tubes in, the power supply can handle it  :)

Just FYI found a better schematic, different part numbers for the Deuce and Mace transformers :(

neighbor664

^An old bandmate used one of those Deuce amps. He ran an SG with a Boss HM-2 through it. Sounded thick! Weighed a ton.

justinhedrick

they did have a short lived peavey deuce all solid state. it was called the peavey deuce 240t.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/2360627359.html

i could have sworn his had a phaser on it. oh well.

mawso

Quote from: LogicalFrank on May 05, 2011, 11:05:32 AM
I think some 800s are like that too.

as i understand it, most/all of the channel switching 800s are diode clipping amps

then again, so is the silver jubilee, and that's rather sought after