Rickenbacker bass pickup question

Started by bbottom, June 20, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Sign in to disble this ad When looking at the back of the neck, high gain pup. Which wire is the ground and which is the hot? I'm guessing that the hot is the wire coming out of the middle of the pup and the ground is the one coming out from the side. Does this sound right?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 20, 2011, 11:57:27 AM
Pics plx.

This is the best that I can do because I'm at work right now

If you go to this page

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Rick_maint.htm

scroll until you are about 75% near the bottom. It looks like the "06 high gain" pic on the right.

I tried to post the picture to this site but it won't let me.

VOLVO)))

Is there no lead on it at all? If there's lead left, the center conductor is hot, the sheild/braided shield is ground.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Their are two wires coming from it and both are black. After reading that page a bit more, and if I'm understanding it correctly, the ground is coming out of the center of the pickup and the lead is the one on the side..... Now I'm really confused

inductorguitars

It looks like one has heat shrink on it - that's the ground. The true black wire is hot.

bbottom

Quote from: inductorguitars on June 20, 2011, 04:34:43 PM
It looks like one has heat shrink on it - that's the ground. The true black wire is hot.

unfortunately neither of mine has heat shrink on it  >:(

inductorguitars

I just got a '96 Ric to refinish. (It has the shittiest poly job I've seen fucking missing divots of finish.) But I have to do some recording first for ECourse on how to record/mic a guitar/bass. I can give you a definative answer when I take it apart.

Or. Just wire it up if it sounds wierd (out of phase with the neck PU) then switch the wires.

inductorguitars

Rereading the web page says the short lead is hot.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 22, 2011, 10:58:10 PM
Send me that Ric...

LOL It's a barter. He's doing some logos for me. I'll put it up on my site when I start it.
Tho you might like the '63 Portaflex that he's letting my borrow...