Main Menu

Stoner Rock Documentary

Started by inductorguitars, June 28, 2011, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inductorguitars

Slow

One of my favorites, right up there with the Fuzz documentary.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

black_out

nice..didn't realize the whole thing was on youtube. It's a solid documentary. Just wish it was longer.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

spookstrickland

Right the fuck on man! thanks I have been looking for the full movie for a while now.

Cheers
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

inductorguitars

Quote from: Slow on June 28, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
One of my favorites, right up there with the Fuzz documentary.

Damn I need to see the Fuzz Docu

Hemisaurus

It's out there, I got it on the iPad, I been watching the TAD one.

giantchris

I just saw this at work it was pretty good my only complaint is the section on 70s rock focused on Earthless who isn't a bad band but haven't they only been around for like 8-10 years?  Bit of a strange choice for that section.

LogicalFrank

Wanted to watch this for a while. Thanks for posting. Decent doc. Kind of a meandering snapshot of the scene. Bit depressing at the end where all those dudes talk about how they have to have day jobs. Oh well.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Ayek

Wino's expressions were a crack up when he's demonstrating how a flattened 5th is heavier than a regular ol 5th. But yeah, I wanted more when the credits rolled.

Hemisaurus

If you get the DVD there's more Wino, there's a bit more from a few people, I'd have to dig out the DVD to remind myself who.

I kind of figured it was par for the course, when I heard all the day jobs, I figured it was a good thing for any kids watching it, that still believe the BS about making it, I was 16 when I figured that shit out. There's no magic rock and roll fairy. ;)

justinhedrick

hell frank, I think it's refreshing to hear about the rockers who have their day jobs. it makes them more like us!

also, wino's wife looks pretty good looking, but i read an interview recently where they are divorced now. for some reason this makes me really sad.

The Shocker

You know I always though Wino was this big dude (cause of the metal/biker look?), but I actually met him at a show one time and he's tiny.  It kind of blew my mind.  A really nice dude though. 

Hemisaurus

The Probot video put Wino in scale for me.

it is sad if he split up, I though that it was awesome that was a famous, rock, stay at home dad.

justinhedrick

i thought the same thing hems.

Hemisaurus

It's kind of a way of officializing the whole old musician joke.

What do you call a type of musician without a girlfriend
Homeless

but really, an understanding wife / gf can make all the difference in the world.

justinhedrick

i agree 1000% percent.

that, and a good therapist.

Slow

Quote from: justinhedrick on June 29, 2011, 04:25:55 PM
i agree 1000% percent.

that, and a good therapist.

I'll take The Rapist for a thousand, Trebek!
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Chovie D

I thought having the day job was common knowledge? Pike working construction? Mark Arm working at Phantagraphics? etc.
I actually found it uplifting and inspriational that their attitude about that was "its what we need to do , in order to be able to do what we NEED to do". It so much easier to just say fuck music, I need a relaible income.

I live in Seattle and most of the grunge guys didnt make any money, and these were guys playing the Letterman Show, mainstaging Lolapalooza, cover of every music magazine, they had  top ten hit back when that actually meant something. Other than Pearl Jam and maybe Chris Cornell it appears most of them, no not even most a few lucky ones... totaled merely enough to make a downpayment  on a house back when  houses in west seattle where they all seem to have migrated to were cheap and thats for how many years of work with no benefits, no retirement, no health care. most of em had careers spanning a good decade or more. These are the SUCCESSFUL ones and honestly they'd have been better off financially working a 35K$ a year job with bennies.

The shocker to me are the bands that can actually make it without day jobs. Melvins...but they work their asses off it appears and dale gets nirvana money I guess.

Its a fucked up lifestyle , and thatas coming frm a rank amatuer without the balls to 'go for it". i need a secure income and roof over my head especially as I get older. even PIke hints at that...."warrior" that he is.

This is the story with most art tho. In some fields you can eke out a living teaching at a University but for the most part and especially early in your career, its hand to mouth, no security and a day job that has nothing to do with your passion.
what the dude from OM said about HAVING to play music sums it up.

eyeprod

they all seem to hint to the fact that as you get older you want some stability. Sorta makes me glad to have a home, solid income and enjoy music in my spare time. I enjoyed the flick. It could have been better. Some bands were missing, whereas others could have been given less time, imo. I liked the wino parts for sure. It's cool that they have the full length doc available to watch online.
CV - Slender Fungus

The Shocker

Well it was definitely better than those Stoner Rock Barbeque videos.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Chovie D on June 29, 2011, 05:31:51 PM
I thought having the day job was common knowledge? Pike working construction? Mark Arm working at Phantagraphics? etc.
I actually found it uplifting and inspriational that their attitude about that was "its what we need to do , in order to be able to do what we NEED to do". It so much easier to just say fuck music, I need a relaible income.

I live in Seattle and most of the grunge guys didnt make any money, and these were guys playing the Letterman Show, mainstaging Lolapalooza, cover of every music magazine, they had  top ten hit back when that actually meant something. Other than Pearl Jam and maybe Chris Cornell it appears most of them, no not even most a few lucky ones... totaled merely enough to make a downpayment  on a house back when  houses in west seattle where they all seem to have migrated to were cheap and thats for how many years of work with no benefits, no retirement, no health care. most of em had careers spanning a good decade or more. These are the SUCCESSFUL ones and honestly they'd have been better off financially working a 35K$ a year job with bennies.

The shocker to me are the bands that can actually make it without day jobs. Melvins...but they work their asses off it appears and dale gets nirvana money I guess.

Its a fucked up lifestyle , and thatas coming frm a rank amatuer without the balls to 'go for it". i need a secure income and roof over my head especially as I get older. even PIke hints at that...."warrior" that he is.

This is the story with most art tho. In some fields you can eke out a living teaching at a University but for the most part and especially early in your career, its hand to mouth, no security and a day job that has nothing to do with your passion.
what the dude from OM said about HAVING to play music sums it up.

words of wisdom, words of wisdom(say this in your best jack/shining voice)

eyeprod, cheers to that to

great documentary, enjoyed all of it

tossom

Does Gen Disc deserve this?  Great post anyhow, thanks for sharing.
"Beige rock"