Unusual headshells? (ideas please!)

Started by justinhedrick, July 11, 2011, 04:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

I have a peavey bandit that i want to use as a head, but i don't want to lug the whole combo around. i am NOT a woodworker. does anyone have any suggestions for unique headshell ideas?

justinhedrick

thanks for that! i'd hate to spend $135 on a headshell, the amp only cost $125!

Hemisaurus

It's solud state isn't it? What were the dimensions?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 11, 2011, 05:01:19 PM
It's solud state isn't it? What were the dimensions?

it is. i want to say the chassis is 22 inches wide. something about 6 inches tall would work to rehouse the reverb pan and everything in.

Slow

pics. I THINK i have the same amp in my shop, if I do, ill build you one for a nominal fee...
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Hemisaurus

Well it's a shame I can't fine one that opens at the top for it, you'd have to cut out or otherwise drill holes for the front panel, but it should be a nice fit.

Maybe with a bit more searching you can find one that has a top lid, like the smaller ones.

justinhedrick

that a cool idea hemi. would there be any issues with grounding or anything since it is a metal case?

Hemisaurus

Grounding, no, I'd make sure it's bolted firmly in, and the bolts should earth the chassis to the case BUT if there are external transistors on a heatsink, they may be isolated from the case, so you would have to make sure they don't touch the metalwork.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Slow on July 11, 2011, 05:18:31 PM
pics. I THINK i have the same amp in my shop, if I do, ill build you one for a nominal fee...

it is the bandit that is called the "red stripe" bandit. it has a red stripe at the bottom of the cabinet.

RAGER

do you care about the original cabinet/enclosure?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Nah, I've got the other one, that looks like the Peavey ultra+. Just cut it in half. Fuck it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on July 11, 2011, 10:15:59 PM
do you care about the original cabinet/enclosure?

i do. or else i'd just do the "choppy choppy".

Hemisaurus

Is it just me, or did everyone else skip over the word Unusual in the topic.

I'd go to the thrift store get an ancient giant VCR, and gut it, for a case  ;)

Now that I think about it, that's not a bad idea, a lot of those VCR's have a folded steel top, all you need is to mount it on a wooden base, and put the top on over it, there's a case.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 12, 2011, 10:01:09 AM
Is it just me, or did everyone else skip over the word Unusual in the topic.

I'd go to the thrift store get an ancient giant VCR, and gut it, for a case  ;)

Now that I think about it, that's not a bad idea, a lot of those VCR's have a folded steel top, all you need is to mount it on a wooden base, and put the top on over it, there's a case.

that's actually a really good idea. i also thought about just finding a bunch of old barn planks and cobbling something together, or going high tech and making one of out steel (again, i'm not a steel worker). i just need to find something that is tall enough to hold the chasis and give a few inches of clearance to mount the reverb pan, and the receptical for the power cord is on the bottom of the chasis.

Hemisaurus

When you say receptacle, do you mean hole? A drill and move the grommet ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 12, 2011, 11:17:04 AM
When you say receptacle, do you mean hole? A drill and move the grommet ;D

it's one of the plugs like on the back of computers (i think they even have an iec #?)

Hemisaurus

Yeah, we just called 'em kettle leads, cause they first appeared on electric kettles. Confuses the yanks as no-one seems to use an electric kettle over here, instant coffee not being popular ;)

Well your choices are

• Move the socket, cut a big hole on the back panel
  • Don't move the socket, get a right angled lead, and put 1.5" rubber feet on the unit
  • Drill a hole in the back panel, fit a permanent cable (with grommet please) and make sure to disconnect the receptacle, we don't want live voltage on those exposed pins
  • Run the unit upside down, plug into the top

Of course, you could just yank the speaker out the combo, that would lighten it, if the weight is the problem.

We used to have these really useful shelving connectors in the UK, two screws went into the wood, and each block had either a bolt hole or a captive nut in it, using them it was easy to knock up little cabinets, even I was able to do it. Never have found them over here, if you see 'em let me know.

justinhedrick

you know, thinking about it, i will HAVE to have the chasis elevated anyway to fit the reverb tank in there  ;D

the more i think about it, the more i think i'm going to get some reclaimed wood from one of the reclamation places in town and do it up.

Hemisaurus

You want some wood? I have a whole barns worth here, just waiting. ;)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 12, 2011, 11:49:46 AM
You want some wood? I have a whole barns worth here, just waiting. ;)

. . . what color? (or colour, as you'd say).

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I was going to say put it inside a vintage radio, but it sounds like a whole lot of work for a Peavey Bandit :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Lumpy on July 12, 2011, 04:24:18 PM
I was going to say put it inside a vintage radio, but it sounds like a whole lot of work for a Peavey Bandit :(

that's true.

now i'm thinking of going a different route:

VTM 60 chasis and peavey C3000 power amp in 1 enclosure. I use it to push 2 cabs (diff impedances). i'm thinking a crazy "rustic rack" looking wooden box with old handles on it . . .