Bass frequencies, illustrated. (YouTube clip)

Started by Lumpy, September 22, 2011, 04:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

What does 40 hz really sound like? Etc.

Clip plays a tone starting at 100 hz and descending in 5 hz steps, until ending at at 5 hz. My little subwoofer (computer dealie, not pro audio, but for recording/mixing) stops responding completely at 25 hz. 30 hz sounds pretty low to me, much lower than I would need a bass cabinet to go. Even 45 or 50 hz seems like plenty of bass. Around 20 hz or so, it's not a tone so much as pure vibration.

Careful with those speakers, dudes. Maybe turn down the vol. a little, the first time through.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

SpaceTrucker

^same here I got to 25 hz. Honestly, I can get that 40 hz out of my bw. But the 80z first order harmonic, on 34" scale basses is stronger than the fundamental anyway.  ;)

Mr. Foxen

I am pretty damn sure youtube compressed audio doesn't have any content in the low frequencies at all, so all they consist of is higher frequency harmonic distortion anyway. CDs bottom out at 20hz, cause there is no point in being lower, so pretty much no chance youtube goes lower.

jibberish

ya theee old frequency sweep test record. when i built my 15" 3-way "refrigerators" (4'x2'x2' cabs, double particleboard glued-n-screwed, vented and tuned to some retarded low freq) i ran that bass sweep test record.

a) it was awesome as everything around the room took its turn to vibrate as its resonant frequency was hit as the thing swept downwards

b) you quickly realize that most anything under 100hz is "deep" bass heh

c) 15hz makes your ears itch from the inside out and breathing is funny..really really weird..but yeah, not really sound per se, just that wicked vibration

i sold those speakers for a good buck. man did they crush for like a party, but you had to have the room for sure.