anyone go the pre-amp to power amp route?

Started by justinhedrick, March 30, 2011, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At_Giza

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 31, 2011, 12:23:56 AM
Sunn PB-10 and 1000 watt power amp, two fridges. Ultimate bass rig, for me.

This would be my ideal baritone guitar setup. Good for the loooooooooow tuning.

I was thinking about this a few days ago. I figured I could learn to build tube preamps, and have someone build be a few hundred watt tube power amp with power selection switch and all that, and run a series of four or five preamps into it through its preamp-in input.

That would be my ideal rig, a series of pretty much customized preamps in their own boxes with a footswitch'd selector box for them. Several amps in one, sort of.

At_Giza

Yeah, though not all rackmounted and all that (though I do like the idea of a rackmount setup).

The preamps would be in fancy hardwood boxes I would build and all that, I like aesthetics (probably gonna make me grow a vagina over time) as much as function. Rackmount setups are cool, and I do want one, but I just don't think they look pretty.

God, I must be gay. :-\

Hemisaurus

You'd need a way to split your input signal four or five ways for that?

Perhaps you could build all five in one box, and have a common input section, say the first tube stage? That way you'd only need one power supply, you could also add a common tube tremolo and / or reverb section that way, at the output.

At_Giza

I think a sort of ABY-type box could work (sort of like a bunch of true bypasses all in a line). Five, six, ten inputs, but only one output depending on which switch is active. But that could just be stupid, actually, it is stupid... Speaking of ABYs though, I need one.

And yeah, I was thinking about that too. That I should just build a huge box that holds all these preamps, stacked as if it was an uber fancy rack-type thing, all run off of one power source, and do exactly what you said. Run them to common reverb and tremolo, then out to a couple different tube power amps.

All the faces would be different, different types of hardwoods and what not for each one. Really fancy stuff. I do like the finer things.

Hemisaurus

Rather than a switcher, you could build a passive mixer, so you could tap the output of more than one preamp at a time.

At_Giza

That is a grand idea.

Now all I need to do is learn a little electrical engineering.