tell me about 15" guitar speakers

Started by liquidsmoke, September 01, 2011, 01:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Quote from: clockwork green on September 16, 2011, 12:23:12 AM
Weber Michigan's are similar...a little darker, cheaper but nearly as heavy. I have 4 of these in a Marshall cab. Good casters make a difference but other than that make your band members help. Honestly though, a 1x12 EV can easily handle a 120-watt head on 10...anything is just a bonus.

So Michigans are similar but not quite as clean at high volumes? Darker is good. In my experience EQing an amp darker and playing through darker speakers is not the same.

My idea now is go with another 2x12 diagonal slant rather than 2 1x15s. My current 2x12 would become my rock cab for my E tuned SG/Laney/fuzz/trippy pedals/etc.
http://www.stagecraftgear.com/servlet/the-13/Black-Jack-212SL-Diagonal/Detail

liquidsmoke

Dude on another forum just said that Swamp Thangs don't break up. Anyone more or less agree with him?

liquidsmoke

On the Eminence website they list their Governor speaker as having 'fast' 'break up nodes'. Doh. Kind of explains why it breaks up so fast on me.

liquidsmoke

Emailed Eminence and they already got back to me and recommended Swamp Thangs. I think I'm going to give them a shot in my next cab. Numerous people have said they don't break up and are dark. Sounds perfect.

liquidsmoke

Going to order another diagonal slant 2x12 with Eminence Swamp Thangs this week unless someone wants to talk me out of it. Could get a 4x12 but that's 20+ pounds and $150-200 more.

jibberish

ok, the only deal with 15's is bigger mass=slower transients

why doesnt someone take a 12" that they can spare and weight the cone with like silicon sealer or something with mass you can smear on in some semblance of an even coating. then do some comparison tonewise against the 15's

that will emulate a larger mass audio motor.

remember, guitars are NOT about the low freq response, so dont need to worry. it is more about attenuating in the guitar's freq range is what these 15's do for you

liquidsmoke

I've over the 15" idea, can't spend that kind of money. Will be getting another 2x12 or swapping the speakers in the one I already have.