Main Menu

Underrated bass players

Started by Danny G, September 15, 2011, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

John Taylor (Duran Duran). It's a little easier for me to notice and appreciate good bass playing in a band I like but John Taylor impresses me with a band I can't stand. His lines are often funky, slippery, melodic and rhythmically challenging all at the same time. If they were uglier dudes they'd probably get more credit for their music but they were such a teen heartthrob band it was easy to dismiss them as vapid pop which it still is but it's very well played pop.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Necromancer

Jamie Stewart had some interesting stuff on the early Cult records I thought.

And what about Ron Broder of Coroner?

Derelict78

EddieMullet

Paul Newton-Uriah Heep's first bassist played bass on the 1st 3 Uriah Heep albums,I love the bass work on Salisbury and Look at Yourself.  He's overshadowed by his replacement (the late Gary Thain) and almost rightly so, pretty much any bassist would be no matter how good.

Nick Oliveri- I heard a Kyuss Lives bootleg and he sounds damn good, legal troubles, meth addiciton, being an asshole or whatever I thought he'd choke on the Sky Valley/Circus Leaves Town stuff, but he plays it quite capably.

GodShifter

John Taylor is a good pick. I always thought he was good.

I'd pick Paul Simonon of The Clash. A very good player in a genre where it was expected and almost admired to play badly.

I always hated Duff MacKagan's playing. Maybe he's great, but he always sounded, to me, like a guitarist playing the bass.

bass sic

I thought Duran came out and admitted they didn't play in the studio? That it was all hired guns. I saw a live thing on tv once and I kind of believed this, as they weren't really playing that well.

Hemisaurus

Norman Watt-Roy, seeing as someone mentioned Simonon

Ayek

Quote from: EddieMullet on September 19, 2011, 08:38:34 PM
Nick Oliveri- I heard a Kyuss Lives bootleg and he sounds damn good, legal troubles, meth addiciton, being an asshole or whatever I thought he'd choke on the Sky Valley/Circus Leaves Town stuff, but he plays it quite capably.

Songs like Writhe and Green Machine have some rad as bass lines in 'em.

grimniggzy

Simonon hardly played in the studio either. He was damn cool though.

GodShifter

Quote from: grimniggzy on September 20, 2011, 09:50:06 AM

Shit, this is becoming a very sobering thread.

grimniggzy

Sorry for that, but as I said, he was damn cool.

Instant Dan

I always thought Dan Maines was solid, really holds the groove down.

giantchris

Quote from: grimniggzy on September 20, 2011, 09:50:06 AM
His playing on The Good, The Bad, and The Queen is badass though.  Pretty sure he played/wrote all the bass on that album.  Very simple yet tasteful playing.

jibberish

who woulda thought.....
THEN when you start listening to the bass in all the songs...wow

dogfood

maybe not underrated, but a tad bit unknown, ok who am I kidding.  Damn good though.  David Wm. Sims.
Problem solving whiskey!

clockwork green

How about a little Andy Fraser from Free? I think Free as a band is way underrated. I love Paul Kossof's guitar playing and it's hard to find a better voice than Paul Rogers.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

SoupKitchen

Love Oliveri, even with the methhole issues. I also really like Andy Fraser's work on Free's stuff. What he does on a short-scale mudbucker bass is really fun.

One that I feel doesn't get enough mention is Bruce Thomas of the Attractions.

I also like Joe Preston, but maybe he's not underrated.

Woody

Mark "The Animal" Mendoza from Twisted Sister and The Dictators is probably the most powerful bass player I've ever seen. Check out live clips on youtubes.

GodShifter

Bruce Thomas is a really good selection.

Mark Mendoza? Really? The dude never seemed very good to me. None of TS did, musically, though.

bass sic

I was at a TS show front row somewhere around 82/83, and Mendoza was punching the strings instead of using his fingers. Kinda didn't match what was coming thru the pa. But he def was an animal.

eyeprod

That Free video flat out ruled.

I've also noticed that duran duran dude has some good bass lines, though I hate to admit that I noticed.
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

Mark Mendoza was in the Dictators before Twisted Sister. Twisted Sister was a great live band... they were awful to look at (and I didn't like the between song banter) but a high energy rock & roll show. Surprisingly good.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.