What's the furthest you've traveled to be in a band?

Started by bbottom, December 08, 2011, 12:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I used to drive and hour to and from practice about 10 years ago or so.

While the thought of traveling even close to that far away now does not appeal to me in the slightest.... I've began considering it in hopes that I can find a band that is more in line with my tastes.

BrianDamage

Three hours one way when I was in Decrepitaph for a short period.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

mortlock

in distance about 30 miles..in time about 1.5 hours..

Metal and Beer

40 miles each way weekly for about a year or so  (in addition to 25 miles each way twice a week for five years)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Volume

260 miles, 5h drive. Did that for a couple of years, when I first moved from my hometown. Then we broke up. :P

Lumpy

With all the stuff you can accomplish digitally now (sharing files online and stuff) maybe you can still get some shit done with less frequent in-person practices, if everybody is experienced.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

my band practices about 35 minutes from my house. but it is also in the same town that my part time job is, so i usually go to work for a bit before or after practice, so it works out.

driving is a way of life around here. just ask hemi.

Chovie D

well we have two practice spaces, one being at a lake house about an hour and a half from seattle.
We attempt to summon Nesse from the lake bed with our sonic depth charges.
Its a nice getaway spot and the lake and forest are inspirational.
Other spot is a ten minute drive. here in town.

I have a  modest "studio" in my home and recently was in a band that practiced there. That was very convenient i must say.

Ive done a few internet based recording projects or sessions as well....worked out well, except you are not around for the mix so you're at their mercy. You cant leave in any clams , tell em to take em out, and assume that they actually WILL....lol because they wont and then there is this huge embarassing clam in your work.  :D

Discö Rice

I moved three thousand miles hoping to start a new band (new life, really, but the band was one of two things I moved here for). Does that count?

My practice space is 30-40 minutes away on the subway. Not so bad, really.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

i used to drive an hour each way for pedal steel lessons.

cat shepard

14hr drive each way for years. It's over now. phew! what was i thinking?

Hemisaurus

An hour or so is about my limit, or when I'm not foot to the flooring it, about 80 minutes.

Naxzul

According to Google maps, 7 hours 13 mins - 521.6 km
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Shit.  I wouldn't drive more than a half hour.  I don't give a shit who I was playing with..  Most bands I'm in practice at my house.
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 08, 2011, 04:35:02 PM
8 minutes, the band comes to me.

of course they do jake . . . (pats on back the way your father would)

justJon

A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justinhedrick on December 08, 2011, 04:46:05 PM

If you own all of the equipment, pay for the practice space, and supply their beer... they will come...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 08, 2011, 11:23:28 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on December 08, 2011, 04:46:05 PM

If you own all of the equipment, pay for the practice space, and supply their beer... they will come...
I can categorically confirm that is NOT true :'(

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

DustinAR

Two hours away. Four hour round trip. Little Rock to Memphis for two years. Granted we didn't practice every week, we usually didn't practice at all or maybe once or twice a month on a good month. We always got alot done when we did practice though.

Kinda doing that now in a way, a new band I'm in our drummer lives in Memphis. Fortunately, he stays for a week at a time once every couple of months in Little Rock for his job, so don't have to drive it often if at all.

Metal and Beer

If free gear, free beer and a free room ain't keepin' the dogs on the porch, maybe yo' porch stank ! Check for porch stank. :D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Wow, some of you are nuts or really like driving. Practice is in my basement for now, it's hard for me to imagine driving more than half an hour. I don't even like driving half an hour to see a girlfriend.

MikeyT

20 miles, and it wasn't worth it. Those cats were alright, but they were constantly changing plans/times.
The other guitar player was always leaving town for points South to "work". I got the impression he was a drug dealer (may not have been).

I might drive that far to play/take guitar lessons from Ritchie Blackmore. Or Johnny Winter, yeah- that guy has a wealth of guitar knowledge.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'