Go PlayAlong (Death of Guitar Pro?)

Started by Pundan, December 18, 2011, 04:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

I feel so old right now... I've used Tablature Editors since way back before Guitar Pro 3 was released. At first I used a couple of DOS programs, TabIt was one of them (anyone remember that? picture below being Windows version).

Ever since I found Guitar Pro though I've been using that one. In Guitar Pro 5 they released a new feature that changed the MIDI sounds to their own RSE (Realistic Sound Engine) that was great if you only liked to do solos and not use any drums and also had a computer that at the time could easily measure with a smaller business server memory-wise. A year ago or so they released Guitar Pro 6 which even got it's own Linux version (Although MIDI is terrible on Linux).

I've never really been bothered by the MIDI sounds, but today I found the perfect soloution!

Go PlayAlong is a Tablature Player, which means you can't edit tabs or write tabs in it, just play Guitar Pro and Power Tab format files. The cool thing though is that you can sync it with an MP3 track, and it's pretty simple too. It's free, but you can only store 3-tracks in the library. It only costs $19 so I'll definitely will be paying next month because this tool was really nice.

I can't really find any good videos that demonstrates this product, but you can download a free copy and listen to the sample track. I also synced The Lost art of Keeping a Secret by QOTSA within 2-3 minutes of playing around with this tool.
Check it out: http://www.goplayalong.com/

fallen

That looks perfect as a learning tool. Most of the time I can play a lot of the tune by ear but want to skip to a certain lead part.

Lately I've been practicing with tracks with the guitar removed from GuitarBackingTracks.com. Makes mistakes obvious because they aren't buried in the original guitar part.