Main Menu

Ron Asheton Strat question...

Started by MikeyT, December 30, 2011, 09:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Anyone know what model (year) of Stratocaster(s) Ron used for the stooges' Funhouse ?

I'm vaguely familar with his general setup. I'd just like to know what he started with.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

grimniggzy

I couldn't find anything about the year of Ron's Strat.
But I stumbled upon something I thought was pretty cool.
http://www.i94bar.com/ints/asheton1.html

"R: When they did the Kick Out the Jams record? Actually, we weren't the opening band. We didn't play, but we were certainly in the audience. I'm pretty sure we didn't play...I don't remember playing, but I know I wanted to be there, and I was there. I think The Up played.

If I remember correctly, we didn't play, 'cause it was very tense and they were very stressed out, and they wanted to keep it low-key. So they just had something very simple, not to make it a major production, I believe. We were there, though, and now I'm kind of glad that we didn't play, because they were really stressed out and some of them took acid to record...I know Wayne (Kramer) did. He got an SG that night and he usually played a Stratocaster, but he thought the SG had a little more balls. I remember him saying, "Gee, it was pretty strange playing a different guitar, not really being used to it and being on acid. " Dude, I couldn't have done it. No way."

MikeyT

Yeah, that website has some fascinating interviews. Very informative

Woody

Pretty sure Ron used a pre-CBS Strat back then. I've read interviews where he said Iggy later sold it for heroin.

MikeyT