Main Menu

Liquid Proof 1/4" Socket

Started by Hemisaurus, January 24, 2012, 09:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Anyone know of a liquid proof 1/4" socket design? I'm not meaning totally waterproof, just something like an XLR where all the contacts pass through a piece of solid plastic and are sealed from the outside world.

I guess if I can't find a socket, I'll use an XLR ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 24, 2012, 09:25:55 AM
Anyone know of a liquid proof 1/4" socket design? I'm not meaning totally waterproof, just something like an XLR where all the contacts pass through a piece of solid plastic and are sealed from the outside world.

I guess if I can't find a socket, I'll use an XLR ;D

um... i don't see how this would even exist. just use an xlr.

what is this for? are you wanting to play bass in a fjord?

Hemisaurus

Well 3.5mm jacks used to exist like this, the whole thing was a lump of plastic and the terminals protruded from it.

are these endpin jacks sealed at the ends, I don't want to have to maul my bass to find out.

Hemisaurus

Thinking about it, I suppose I could slip a heatshrink sleeve over a socket, and then seal the end with caulk, but that seems like a lot of fiddling, and won't be very secure, or pretty.

I could have an XLR 1/4" combo, but that's a bit large.

justinhedrick

my bad. i was thinking MALE 1/4".

what are you wanting this for? i would just incase one of those 1/4" jacks that have the open back (that you see on a lot of pedals) in epoxy and give it a go. they are cheap from mouser.

Ayek

Those barrel type instrument jacks are usually closed off at the end, not sure about 'sealed' though. I've seen several different moulded plastic with just pins poking out type jacks. I got a couple lying around with, to my dismay, weren't deep enough to accommodate the whole plug so half the sleeve was still exposed. I did not like that. Better ones are out there, I got no links or nothing, but they're out there

neighbor664

You planning on taking the "water sports" to the stage?

Mr. Foxen

I have some speakons that take a jack in the middle that are sealed.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 24, 2012, 09:52:56 AM

I could have an XLR 1/4" combo, but that's a bit large.

That neutrick is the only one I know off hand.

It aint water sports so it's probably 1 guy 1 bass.  :-*

jibberish

is there a way to put some kind of skirt on the male jack so that when it is plugged in, it makes a fairly decent seal around it.  takes the design onus off of the stock jack already there.   maybe put some gasket ring deal around the socket on the device that somehow mates up with the piece on the jack. 

..... hmmm how to rube up a grolsh bottle lid to lock a jack into place.....hmmmm  maybe you need one of those big round flat 90 degree jacks and lock that beeotch into place grolsh style with a big rubber washer fit under there somehow. heh  that shit holds the beer and fizz in on a bottle of grolsh with just an o ring/gasket deal w/e

inductorguitars

Take a piece of rubber and slit a small X in it and ease it gently (or roughly) though and into the pleasure hole?

Just like the big iron thread you guys must have small dicks.

chille01

I've used waterproof wireless mic transmitters that used a screw in mini plug with an O ring on it for the mic element.  This is the link for the transmitter.  Doesn't show the plug, but it goes in that threaded hole on top, and has an orange O ring like everything else on there.  Totally waterproof.  Not sure if they make 1/4" versions of the same thing, but I guess you could use the mini plug too?  It's got a tip and a sleeve just like a 1/4".  Not sure where you'd source just the connectors though.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Transmitters/mm400c.html