Main Menu

Drummers!

Started by VOLVO))), March 06, 2012, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

I own a 7x13 cast steel Potyondi. The difference in tone is hard to put into words.

VOLVO)))

Oh that's right, you have a super sick kit...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

well I did...I still have my bronze and 2 snares

VOLVO)))

Did you sell it, or what?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Expensive dust collector when I did the whole college enrollment thing. Pearl masters are awesome drums but don't hold value, the sooner I sold, the more money I got.

They can always be re-had, that's why they don't hold their value.

chlorpromazine

spun brass is where it's really at

That's a good deal you got there, Sunn. I have a stainless made in England Premier that is a really nice drum.

By the way, you're supposed to clean and oil your tension rods when you change heads. A few drops of 3 in 1 oil in 0000 steel wool does the trick for me. It keeps the t rod and insert threads nice and clean and turning evenly for good tuning. For really crusty t rods, get yourself a drum key bit for your drill, and alternate forward and reverse into some oiled 0000 steel wool.

...and on that Acro ...sometimes you can straighten those triple flanged hoops out by finding the warped spot in it on flat concrete or counter top and putting it across a step or cinder block and slowly bending it back to true. Ludwig is reissuing their Acro line with the annodized finish this year. For the money, though, LM402 is the way to go.

VOLVO)))

I mean, he kept the whole shell and all of the lugs oiled. It's epic.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

That is pretty ridiculous, hahaha. I always put a little lube on the underside of the old head I'm changing out and just wipe the t rods around in it before reinstall.

What year is the acrolite, just for fun? My other snare is an acro stamped apr 7 1969

chlorpromazine

My Ludwig Pioneer is stamped sometime in April of 1969

VOLVO)))

Where would I find the stamp for the date? On the badge?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

Inside the shell. Mine's in ink so i'ts possible it has been removed.

chlorpromazine

That blackrolite that he posted won't have a date stamp, because it is too new. The badge on his looks like a 90's drum. The date stamps were done in the 1960's, and maybe into 1970, but none of my 70's Ludwig gear have any dates stamped in them.

Capt Yarn

Sunn, you still got that snare for sale?

VOLVO)))

Jah!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Kind of off topic, but have any of you guys seen these crazy things before?

http://moleculesdrumcompany.com/PHOTOS.html#grid

poop.

VOLVO)))

Yeah, they look cooler than they sound...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

That dude left his left shin behind, how's he gonna kickstart his ironhead ?   :P

I got a pair of 17" timbale sticks, the extra leverage is awesome for caveman knuckle-draggin' !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

I had to upgrade to longer sticks myself. I need to practice more. I hate being shitty at everything.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Well, there's always vater nightsticks. They're 17.25". The nylon tips shatter like glass, so stick with wood tips if you decide to give them a go. Regal Tip's Alex Van Halen model is longer at 17.75", but much too thin for my liking. M&B - You might dig the AVH sticks if you like them timbale sticks. SunnO)))  - I think Vater's gonna be it unless you go the custom route. That's where I'm headed. A week from Thursday I'm putting in order for some weirdo super  long Asgardian war clubs. Hickory for the first run, then Purple Heart if I like the product.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on March 19, 2012, 12:55:06 AM
Well, there's always vater nightsticks. They're 17.25". The nylon tips shatter like glass, so stick with wood tips if you decide to give them a go. Regal Tip's Alex Van Halen model is longer at 17.75", but much too thin for my liking. M&B - You might dig the AVH sticks if you like them timbale sticks. SunnO)))  - I think Vater's gonna be it unless you go the custom route. That's where I'm headed. A week from Thursday I'm putting in order for some weirdo super  long Asgardian war clubs. Hickory for the first run, then Purple Heart if I like the product.

After deathfest, I'm going to tell them I want the Vic Firth Classic Metal sticks but 17.75, in purpleheart, but necked down from .630 to .600.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Cool! Just remember when you make that stick longer, the tip of the stick is going to be hitting the skins/ride cymbal MUCH harder. The taper on that model is very thin toward the tip, so it might not be a bad idea to have them beef that part up a little.

chlorpromazine

I've tried, but can't use drumsticks longer than 16½". The balance is just too far off for me. 16¼" is about perfect for the way I play.

Discö Rice

Yeah it's definitely something that's unique to everyone. I was playing Regal Quantum 9000's from the time I started up until last year when they discontinued them. They measured 17.5", .750 at the butt with a full length distal taper down to about .550 near the huge nylon ball tip. I can't find anything that feels right, now.  :'(

Discö Rice

I realize there are only like 2 of us here that play double bass, but this is a great cover with a solid lesson at the end (lesson starts at 7:15)

His polyrhythm lessons are great too.

Easy peasy.

Lemon squeazy.

Rhymes with orange.