Main Menu

What's your fantasy amp?

Started by Corey Y, February 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 14, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 14, 2012, 04:22:50 PM
Can I rip that idea for the pre of this 2 KT88 thing I have to sort a pre for?

yea no problem if u need a detailed idea of it just email me

Would there be much point in having one before and one after a overdrive/distortion stage? My way of picturing a preamp works off time spend putting pedals into a clean amp, and eq before and after drive does pretty different stuff.

dunwichamps

Before the clipping changes the way the clipping occurs while after simply accentuates the clipping parts.

If you just using it as a clean amp then it doesnt matter really, if you expect little to no amp distortion.

Mr. Foxen

Have clean amps flying out my ass. Still exploring potentials with the weirdy ones I need to convert for bass. The character knob on the Sansamp pedals is a post gain eq, I guess it will be comparable to that, and is a great feature.

Instant Dan

A Fender 5E3 Tweed Deluxe that allow you to switch between double the wattage and the original (15 watts). Also an extension out to connect to another cab, and possibly a switch that allows you to have a master volume in circuit and out of circuit.

Mr. Foxen

Spoke to Matamp in the week about the possibility of them building an amp round some Partridge iron I have. That will hopefully do me forever.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 24, 2012, 08:46:05 PM
Spoke to Matamp in the week about the possibility of them building an amp round some Partridge iron I have. That will hopefully do me forever.

custom? what are you going for?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 24, 2012, 09:31:36 PM

Dunno yet, probably fairly straight up GT200 with Partridge iron, might have to think of something interesting though. Need to have a go with my mates GT200.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 25, 2012, 08:39:13 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 24, 2012, 09:31:36 PM

Dunno yet, probably fairly straight up GT200 with Partridge iron, might have to think of something interesting though. Need to have a go with my mates GT200.

that amp has a nice inverter setup which is similar to an SVT, They use a low gain cathodyne to split the signal then 12au7 drivers to add some gain but also improve output impedance to the load of the grid leaks which are small for 4 x KT88

Lumpy

My fantasies revolve around big bass speaker cabinets, and how I'd have roadies to carry them ;)

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

everdrone

a 112 that sounds like a 412

a tone that sustains like a fuzz but chugs like my thunderverb for palm mutes

all weighs less than 40 pounds so I can go to the gig with amp in one hand, guitar in the other.  pedalboard that is intuitive and micro sized.

clockwork green

I had a dream about amps last night.  I also had a dream with Dwight from the Office but he wasn't playing through this amp so I guess that doesn't matter.  In my dream there was a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe  inside a larger amp.  Not just the preamp but the entire pre and power amp and transformers and instead of the power tubes feeding speakers it feed into a quad of KT88's so that I could crank the tweed and then turn the KT88 side to whatever I want and still get all of that sweet power tube distortion and rectifier sag.  It's like an integral reamp.  Is this at all possible?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on March 25, 2012, 05:34:29 PM
I had a dream about amps last night.  I also had a dream with Dwight from the Office but he wasn't playing through this amp so I guess that doesn't matter.  In my dream there was a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe  inside a larger amp.  Not just the preamp but the entire pre and power amp and transformers and instead of the power tubes feeding speakers it feed into a quad of KT88's so that I could crank the tweed and then turn the KT88 side to whatever I want and still get all of that sweet power tube distortion and rectifier sag.  It's like an integral reamp.  Is this at all possible?

you would need to dump the 5e3 power amp into a resistive dummy load, say a 50W 8 ohm resistor. Then you would take the output and bring it to a slave amp which has a quad of 88s and a phase inverter.

The simpler thing is just to build a 5e3, a dummy load wit line out and a Kt88 power amp

clockwork green

I was thinking that you could have setup where you could have multiple amps into this outside power amp so that you could have a tweed deluxe and a jmp coming out of the same speaker cabs at the same volume with their own unique voice. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on March 25, 2012, 08:45:59 PM
I was thinking that you could have setup where you could have multiple amps into this outside power amp so that you could have a tweed deluxe and a jmp coming out of the same speaker cabs at the same volume with their own unique voice. 

you could do it, not cheap tho