Ye Ole Blasphemy Thread

Started by Jake, March 17, 2012, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Quote from: At_Giza on March 23, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 23, 2012, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 23, 2012, 11:40:25 AM
I like reissue Model T's.

doesnt bother me so much if they just renamed the goddamn amp to something else.
This is my argument with it, I actually like the tone they can get, but it's not a Model T, or even a reissue of the Model T, it's something entirely different.

Here's some blasphemy, I got punched pretty hard for this one yesterday, I don't like pure clean tube tone. At all.
It's like New York and Chicago pizza. My girlfriend is a New Yorker and refused to try Chicago pizza. I'm from California so I really don't care. I got her to try and actually admit that she can like Chicago, deep dish pizza but she won't call it pizza. Both amps sound good but they have nothing to do with each other.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RacerX on March 23, 2012, 12:24:53 PM
Back to blasphemy: I wish I could somehow get the same crappy, nasal tone out of my rig that I get playing slide through my little Supro/Smokey amp with the tone on the guitar rolled back.

I think a lot of it is from the 2" plastic driver.

You probably could, if you stick a bright cap somewhere to strangle the tone :)

clockwork green

I've never really understood the difference between the master/non-master Matamps. Oddly, I have a master volume GTL-140 and a non-master Electric (although British built). They each only have one channel, gain and volume. I get master volume on channel switchers but my amps operate the same but the GTL does have more preamp gain.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 23, 2012, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: RacerX on March 23, 2012, 12:24:53 PM
Back to blasphemy: I wish I could somehow get the same crappy, nasal tone out of my rig that I get playing slide through my little Supro/Smokey amp with the tone on the guitar rolled back.

I think a lot of it is from the 2" plastic driver.

You probably could, if you stick a bright cap somewhere to strangle the tone :)

I don't think so, man. Squelching the Q only gets it so far. The plastic driver makes it sound like some old blues dude singing with a head fulla cocaine snot.

Hmm. I wonder if I could make a cheap cabinet with a larger plastic driver or a few of the little ones then mic it.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Are you wanting the same sound, only louder, or the same sound from a higher power rig?

The latter should be easy, you'd get a speaker like the original, in a crappy box, and a big load resistor (shunt).

Making the same sound, but louder, might be trickier, I suppose you could get an assload of those 2" drivers and mount them on a piece of plexiglass or something. Or you could try making an analog model, as it were, of the original sound using filters and distortion circuitry.

At_Giza

Quote from: clockwork green on March 23, 2012, 06:27:35 PM
Quote from: At_Giza on March 23, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 23, 2012, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 23, 2012, 11:40:25 AM
I like reissue Model T's.

doesnt bother me so much if they just renamed the goddamn amp to something else.
This is my argument with it, I actually like the tone they can get, but it's not a Model T, or even a reissue of the Model T, it's something entirely different.

Here's some blasphemy, I got punched pretty hard for this one yesterday, I don't like pure clean tube tone. At all.
It's like New York and Chicago pizza. My girlfriend is a New Yorker and refused to try Chicago pizza. I'm from California so I really don't care. I got her to try and actually admit that she can like Chicago, deep dish pizza but she won't call it pizza. Both amps sound good but they have nothing to do with each other.
Exactly, their only similarity is that they are an amp, like deep dish and thin crust pizza are both pizzas. That's it.

There was  a music store that replaced the Sunn logo with a classic Fender logo, and the faceplate logo was removed, as well as all things saying "Sunn" on the back, and they also took off the "model" and replaced it with the Fender logo. They had it marketed as a Fender T on the price tag, it was pretty amusing, despite making sense.

Hemisaurus

Actually I think I have something you can try, if you can find it, RadioShack made a horn loudspeaker, 8ohm a handful of watts, something like that is pretty ratty and tinny sounding, it may be just what you need, this one is $10, just google paging horn.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 23, 2012, 07:01:16 PM
Actually I think I have something you can try, if you can find it, RadioShack made a horn loudspeaker, 8ohm a handful of watts, something like that is pretty ratty and tinny sounding, it may be just what you need, this one is $10, just google paging horn.

That's an idear, alrighty. For 10 bucks, I cant go wrong!
Livin' The Life.