Main Menu

Who inspires you?

Started by Discö Rice, March 23, 2012, 01:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

Quote from: lordfinesse on March 25, 2012, 10:42:09 PM
For me, this tends to change over time. I don't know how to post videos (and I'm ok with that). At the moment, I want to play when I hear:

1) Those Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed "Me and Jerry" and "Me and Chet" albums. Damn fine playing. Sounds like they're having a blast. Makes me want to sit 3 feet from another player with an acoustic and throwdown.
2) Django Reinhardt. I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm digging it lately.
3) Prong - Cleansing. Lately it makes me want to crunch more than I normally crunch.
4) Clever, well written and well played guitar parts in songs that aren't really guitar driven songs. Example: Genesis - Mama. The middle section with the verse that begins with "Can't you see me here Mama.." What the guitar does just under the synths is so good, and it's subtle. If you're not listening for it, you're not likely to hear much of it.
5) Young bands that are still new at being a band, but play with such wide-eyed, naive excitement.. like they think they're gonna conquer the world, not yet jaded or bitter (like so many of us :)

we would get along great. i keep working on 2 finger techniques like django. i didnt think anyone else appreciated his wizardry. the way shoots all the way up the neck with 2 fingers wow. and his jazz inflections are superb.

jerry's breakdown, nuff said, just like you said heh.

martin barre is a huge part of why tull is great. same deal. underlying, but there and usually stellar

and i mentioned commander cody. same effect. excuse this telethon footage video blows, sound is good, but these are two of my most favorite and dynamic commander cody tunes and to find a live version is great. ya i wished i was up there with them when i see this.

hayseed

Quote from: lordfinesse on March 25, 2012, 10:42:09 PM
For me, this tends to change over time. I don't know how to post videos (and I'm ok with that). At the moment, I want to play when I hear:

1) Those Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed "Me and Jerry" and "Me and Chet" albums. Damn fine playing. Sounds like they're having a blast. Makes me want to sit 3 feet from another player with an acoustic and throwdown.
2) Django Reinhardt. I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm digging it lately.
3) Prong - Cleansing. Lately it makes me want to crunch more than I normally crunch.
4) Clever, well written and well played guitar parts in songs that aren't really guitar driven songs. Example: Genesis - Mama. The middle section with the verse that begins with "Can't you see me here Mama.." What the guitar does just under the synths is so good, and it's subtle. If you're not listening for it, you're not likely to hear much of it.
5) Young bands that are still new at being a band, but play with such wide-eyed, naive excitement.. like they think they're gonna conquer the world, not yet jaded or bitter (like so many of us :)

I agree with your #5! I went to see a new local thrash band made up of some very recent/soon to be high school graduates. They were so into it and when we were bullshitting after the gig, you would have thought it was an interview for Rolling Stone. There was a solidarity amongst their members that is very difficult to achieve when you complicate a band with mortgages, full time jobs, kids, marriage,growing old etc. but it is refreshing and inspiring to see.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Ranbat

At this point in life:
  Who?
1) Dick Dale
2)Tony Iommi
3)Mick Collins  (Gories)

What?
1) Single coils
2) Reverb
3) Fuzz pedals
4) Tremolo pedals
Meh :/