Main Menu

Do stomp switches wear out?

Started by Lumpy, April 02, 2012, 02:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I'm playing through my pedal board, ummmm first time in a while  :-[  

I have a couple of non-latching switches on signal routers/kill switches, I guess I tap on them pretty regularly. I suppose switches do wear out but it seems too soon? ??? Sometimes they route the signal fine, other times when I release the switch I hear a muted signal instead of the full sound back up, and I have to tap a bunch of times to get the sound back up full. So they still work but they are unpredictable now, which is worthless.

Either I need to plug/unplug everything and get the cobwebs off, or these switches are starting to go bad already?  >:(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bitter

I had that proble after I purchase some GFS multi taps for my 2 wall warts. Those little multi taps killed both wall warts if left plugged in over night  >:(

the first sign of the problem was my switched "lagging". So is it possible you have some power issues?

Switches can go bunk but they shouldn't if they're relatively new.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

10,000 cycles is an average for a stomp switch

Lumpy

Maybe it's a loose wire/loose cable. I'll try unplug/reconnect everything. Also, my board sits under my desk -- sometimes I find myself resting my feet on it. Time to move it somewhere else.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

i wore out the stomp switch on my HM-2. ...original unit from the late 80's?early 90's, and i have used it the whole time, so yes physical motion things like that do fail eventually.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ayek

Yeah, get some electrical contact cleaner and spray that stuff in there and switch the switch a few times. Works for scratchy pots, too. Make sure you get the plastic safe stuff.