Main Menu

Guitar is too bright now

Started by rayinreverse, April 09, 2012, 01:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayinreverse

I just got a model T reissue. I dig it quite a bit, but it seems to be extremely bright. I have treble on about 2 right now, and with my LP with GFS Alnico Fat Pat humbuckers it seems too bright still.
Are those pickups inherently crisp? What should I look at using for a little darker tone?

RAGER

Use your tone knob maybe??  Just a thought.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

couple of things u could do

in no particular order

1. Flatwounds
2. tone control
3. increase series resistance into amp to exploit miller effect
4. boost bass

Mr. Foxen

Darker cab. What speakers are you running now? Vintage 30s tend to get a bit harsh at the very top.

rayinreverse

I pull my tone back quite a bit now, and it helps.
I have to admit though. I like to turn everything to 10 on my guitar and leave it. constantly fucking with the tone knob doesnt work for me when playing shows.
Its a 4x12 cab with V'30's. Not a bright cab by any means. Its just the T.

dunwichamps

the reissue T should be named something else as not to confuse people who had a original T. Not that the reissues are bad sounding just that they are nothing like a original

rayinreverse

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 09, 2012, 01:42:26 PM
the reissue T should be named something else as not to confuse people who had a original T. Not that the reissues are bad sounding just that they are nothing like a original

I agree completely. However, that is neither here nor there.

Its defintely not too bright, but I find it a little bright with my LP with GFS pickups. Oddly enough my tele deluxe with a Gibson Classic 57 doesnt seem as bad.

dunwichamps

could be the extra signal with the HBs that gets you the treble your hearing.

RAGER

Maybe add a Boss GE-7 or the like to your board or a different value tone cap on LP
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

A Sharpie should darken her right up.
[B|

clockwork green

Change the height of your pickups....can make huge differences in tone with minimal movements. It's crazy how many people think their new pickups suck when a slight height adjustment might do the trick.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

spookstrickland

Get yourself a Coily Cable or a Old 70's Crybaby that does not have true bypass.  They both cut some highs in just the right way.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Glitchyghost

That head is notoriously brite on the clean channel.  I spent a year with mine and still could never dial it in.  Start with the treble all the way down. Rely on mids and bass. Crank that master then adjust the pre's to taste.  Also, if your unit still has 6L6's in it, you can mod it for 6550's.  That's what I did for mine, and that helped quite a bit. 

Still, I ended up selling mine.  I know you're not a badge sucker, Jeff.  Sell that thing to someone who is and get yourself the amp you really have always wanted.

Jake

First off, check the amp w/ a couple of different guitars. That will help troubleshoot whether the brightness is coming from the pickups or the amp itself.

If it's the amp, remember, the reissue T is gainy and naturally bright. I've been lucky in that mine sounds really great (to me) because of these factors:

• "Dark" guitars. For years I only played it with a heavy, '70s LP Custom. It has PRS HFS pups in it – which are a huge secret weapon. Well, were.
• Play around with diff't V1 preamp tubes. Try a 12AU7 to harness all that gain on tap.
• Keep Treble and Presence low. The highest they ever get on my T is "3"
• Speakers. These things love old, well broken-in Celestions. I've recently paired it with newer Orange cabs and have had to tame the highs with the Treble and Presence controls.
• The only time I've ever had to touch the tone knob is with a realtively bright P90 equipped Junior, but I back it off on all amps with that guitar.

Don't let anyone discourage you. Lots of online, armchair QBing with the reissues. I've had mine since 1999 and would not trade it for a orginal one (or damn near anything else).
poop.

rayinreverse

I think I've got it dialed in. Put a rat back in my chain,and I am pretty god damn happy now.

grimniggzy