Main Menu

Neck sanding advice

Started by lordfinesse, May 18, 2012, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordfinesse

I have an 80's Yamaha SJ550-HR Tele copy that I got for almost nothing. It appears to be stock. Plays decent, but needs cleaning and setup, nut needs replacing, maybe tuners.. I don't know. The finish on the back of the neck is shiny glossy polished, which is ok, but I think I would like playing this guitar more if the neck finish was sanded smooth (maybe oiled?) like an Ibanez or a Washburn neck.

My question in this: What is the best method for sanding the back of a neck? Having never done any mods quite like this, should I even attempt it myself? If no, do any of you offer this service?  SunnO)))?  I really don't have any $ in this guitar, but I still would rather not fuck it up too much. Any advice is appreciated.
Billy Squier 24/7

VOLVO)))

You can send it, if you want to oil it, you gotta take it all off. No biggie for me!

If you wanna do it yourself, start with 150, go to 220 then 300. I
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

lordfinesse

To oil or not to oil... I'm not sure. I just want it to feel good. When I play it, my fingers just seem to automatically play little Robbie Blunt licks from those early Robert Plant albums, so I want to get out of it's way and let it continue in that direction. Sorry if that sounds weird. Anyway, it's more of a time issue for me than a confidence thing. If I plan to do it myself, it'll never get done. Plus I have a feeling that I may be happier with the finished product if I have someone who has sanded a neck before do it. I'd like to have the nut replaced while we're at it. Any bids on such a job?
Billy Squier 24/7

Mr. Foxen

Take the shine off with wire wool, see if that's enough.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: lordfinesse on May 18, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
To oil or not to oil... I'm not sure. I just want it to feel good. When I play it, my fingers just seem to automatically play little Robbie Blunt licks from those early Robert Plant albums, so I want to get out of it's way and let it continue in that direction. Sorry if that sounds weird. Anyway, it's more of a time issue for me than a confidence thing. If I plan to do it myself, it'll never get done. Plus I have a feeling that I may be happier with the finished product if I have someone who has sanded a neck before do it. I'd like to have the nut replaced while we're at it. Any bids on such a job?

send it on. Take the neck off the body, so the box is smaller. send all parts. Do you want the varnish off the fretboard, too? Or is it rosewood/unfinished? getting varnish out from between the frets takes DAYS. Seriously, done it before. If not, I can flatten out the finish with some steel wool, so it's silky. I can make the back of the neck raw, and oil it. I work for toys, too, so, PM me or whatever. I owe you a little bit for the loot Pissy sent me. :D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.