Main Menu

Amptweaker pedals

Started by liquidsmoke, April 15, 2012, 03:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/Amptweaker-Pedals-4.aspx

James Brown from Peavey. I'm quite interested in the Tightmetal unit. Anyone here play this thing or any of their other pedals?

rayinreverse

I like the enclosures. I like the knobs being angled back with a guard. I find myself kicking knobs on my board occasionally.

Jake

+1 on the enclosures.

I also like how you can set the TightRock to turn other pedals off/on via the effects loop when it's engaged/disengaged. Pretty smart idea.
poop.

rayinreverse

Quote from: Jake on April 15, 2012, 12:11:02 PM
+1 on the enclosures.

I also like how you can set the TightRock to turn other pedals off/on via the effects loop when it's engaged/disengaged. Pretty smart idea.

I like the loop within a pedal thing too. You could run say a delay,and that could be your solo set up.

Baltar

Really well thought out pedals, I say go for it.  More options on pedals are a good thing.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

liquidsmoke

Got the TightMetal today. Only had a half hour to play it before work. My ears are ringing like I'm 16 and just saw Pantera. This thing is mega high gain if you want it to be. Destroys the Metal Muff, way more heavy. The gate switch kills palm muted notes too fast for me which is not a problem as I'll just use my gate pedal with it but I think it would work great for some thrash and death bands. The treble switch makes it sound more metal and I like it. The tone knob gets you into crazy trebly static sounds real fast but if you keep it reasonable it sounds good. The tight knob is interesting, it's real loose all the way down and weird sounding all the way up which makes sense. I think I can make this pedal work for me but it's going to take a bunch more loud sessions without ear plugs to dial it in correctly. I can already say that it's the best sounding high gain metal pedal I've played through or owned. Will try bypassing my Laney's preamp and I'll also try it with my SS Randall in the coming days.

mawso

Quote from: rayinreverse on April 15, 2012, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: Jake on April 15, 2012, 12:11:02 PM
+1 on the enclosures.

I like the loop within a pedal thing too. You could run say a delay,and that could be your solo set up.

nah dude, the effects loop is activated when the pedal is off

mutantcolors

If it's that loud I'd be inclined to just put in front of a mildly hot amp tone with a big old boost setting from the pedal.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 25, 2012, 07:25:10 PM
If it's that loud I'd be inclined to just put in front of a mildly hot amp tone with a big old boost setting from the pedal.

That high gain you mean I assume. I'll try this and see what I think. A buddy of mine who is super into classic/'80s metal and power metal(and Mesa amps) and what not suggested I try a Tubescreamer sort of in this fashion to tighten up my amp's tone. I haven't owned one for many years though.

liquidsmoke

I've been sick since Thursday night but I had another session today with the TightMetal and newly purchased 18 volt power supply which seems to tighten it up somewhat over the 9. I think I've got this thing dialed in about as well as it's ever going to be. Thrash switch on, gate off, tone 8 o'clock, gain 4 o'clock, tight 12. Right now it nails thrash, death and very heavy power and doom metal tone. It's probably about as metal sounding as possible and that's what I'm going for. Running it into my Laney GH50L with the Laney's primary gain knob at 1 which seems to make it sound more alive than at 0 or bypassing the preamp entirely. At volume levels beyond what I'd use for band practice I hear increased gain/saturation that I don't like probably from the Laney breaking up. A solid state amp(on the way) may be more to my liking. Running a 2x12 diagonal slant cab with Eminence Swamp Thang speakers which are generally said not to break up. B-B tuned Epi Junior with a Dimarzio Super D at the moment but that will change once I get my Epi LP set up with hot pups.

Actually I was just thinking that I need to further experiment with the gate and it's knob. If I have it on but the knob set for a looser tone it may be mild enough to be usable. Next session.

Overall this pedal is brutal, heavy as fuck, and highly tweakable, hence the name Amptweaker. Mr. Brown is not messing around. It may be tighter than any preamp he designed for Peavey.
edit: looks like Amptweaker amps are in the works!

I did not take this picture but you can kind of see the thrash and gate switches

Corey Y

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a TightDrive Bass pedal. Been thinking about trying out the TightMetal too, just to have a go to high gain tone when I want it. I've been really impressed by what I've seen and heard from Amptweaker.

liquidsmoke

I hardly touch my bass anymore but I'm curious about their bass unit.

I need 'Lower Than Low', that shit is ridiculo heavy. edit: found for $2.99 used with free shipping at amoeba.com! WTF?! Score!

Baltar

That's so rad that it's got a "Thrash" switch.  They should sponsor D.R.I.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

liquidsmoke

Now using Duncan Invaders in my Epi LP studio. Very thick. So thick and with such sustain that it powers through the TightMetal's noise gate without chopping the palm mutes short. So at band practice volume between songs with the guitar's volume knob down there is no hiss or hum from the amp.

\m/

Jake

Very interesting.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but did that Tone King guy come up with his name ironically? Because his tone is far, far removed from anything I'd call kingly.
poop.

HansVanRock

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 28, 2012, 01:18:07 PM
Want.

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/TightFuzz-by-Amptweaker-70.aspx

Dude!!! Don´t do this to me ... after years of serious G.S.A. addiction i managed to get sober ... now this, i feel the cold turkey again.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: HansVanRock on January 22, 2013, 08:35:28 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 28, 2012, 01:18:07 PM
Want.

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/TightFuzz-by-Amptweaker-70.aspx

Dude!!! Don´t do this to me ... after years of serious G.S.A. addiction i managed to get sober ... now this, i feel the cold turkey again.

If you need a new/better fuzz I say buy it. Never played one myself but I want to.

liquidsmoke

TightMetal "Pro", WANT

also,

HansVanRock

just sold some old equipment, PayPal account filled up, going to order the AmpTweaker BASS Tight Fuzz soon:

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/Bass-TightFuzz-by-Amptweaker-78.aspx#

i have no more questions:

liquidsmoke

James Brown is off the fucking hook.

WANT.