what gauge guitar strings do you use, and what tuning?

Started by justinhedrick, May 20, 2011, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

Quote from: RacerX on September 13, 2012, 11:49:43 AM
Quote from: Baltar on July 04, 2012, 05:09:51 PM
C pentatonic.

That's absolutely bizarre—you tune your guitar to C - Eb - F - G - Bb - C?

this seems odd to me too, no power chords for you, huh?

BigSwordfishtrombone

My jaguar is tuned to D standard with 11-48 nickel strings (with a wound G). I've learned that I really need the wound G for my sound.

dogfood

Drop C#, because bassist dude likes C#.

As you can see from the pic 1) my left fore finger and I had a separating of ways!  Yes, I fret with my left hand.  Insert Iommi jokes here.  2) Soon after our bitter departing I discovered drop tuning.  Which, I really don't need, it's a hair bit easier on my left fore finger since the tip of my finger has zero fat padding.  Try not to understand this out the hard way--trust me.

I incorporate all sorts of jazzy chord crap so as to not look like I am playing one finger barre chords all the time...and because I like all sorts of jazzy chord crap.  Not that anyone notices either the one finger bar chords or the jazzy cool sounding chords. 

Personally, I would play in Standard E or Drop D because everything on Classic Rock Radio was in (relatively) that kinda tuning.  But, we have been moving away from that for quite some time, haven't we?. 
Problem solving whiskey!

Andrew Blakk

In the band we use drop-c tuning. I've been playing around with diffrent gauges during the years. Mostly on the thicker strings. But recently I've been using 0.11-0.54. I kind of prefer 0.12-0.60-0.56 when it comes to riffing but I't noticed that the overall intonation gets so much better and I play better as well with the thinner ones. It's fun to struggle and fight with the guitar but kind of hard to struggle all the time if you're a weak ass person as myself.  ;D

moose23

Bass in C or C# .065 - .125

Would like to try .060/.065 - .115/.120 but finding them at reasonable prices is hard.