Drummer ad... What do you think?

Started by zachoff, December 30, 2011, 12:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I don't know man.  you mentioned your previous drummers "size".  that could make prospective drummers feel inadequate or jealous. :-\

You should prolly just change it back the way you first had the ad. ;)
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

You could do it the other way, tell them how big the other two guys are, and let them make their own decision ;D

zachoff

Quote from: mortlock on January 02, 2012, 08:19:32 PM
Quote from: zachoff on January 01, 2012, 08:23:24 PM
The gear isn't really a requirement though... More like a guideline.  A really strict guideline.  I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' as some have said earlier.

It should read: "We have big amps and speakers and play really loud so if we can't hear your drums and/or you play kick snare blast beats you're not what we're looking for.  Also, it'd be rad if you could make the drums work without really playing beats."  I'm basically trying to say that as nicely as possible.
make the drums work without playing beats..aaahhh, what you really are looking for is a jazz drummer or ginger baker or mitch mitchell..

Yeah, kinda Ginger Baker or Mitch Mitchell.  John Densmore to a point too.  Funny thing is the first time around when we were just starting out a jazz drummer auditioned.  Dude played side stick and everything and he kicked our ass so bad.  He'd actually probably be alright now.  Ha.

mortlock

if you continue to seriously play your instrument well past your 20s..you eventually realize all the best players are the jazz guys..

Hemisaurus

best, but not most interesting, so not really best atall.

mortlock

not most interesting compared to what..??
jazz is known for its experimental, exploratory side..assuming thats what you meant by 'interesting'..

Hemisaurus

This could have become a lengthy discouse, so I'm going to summarise my opinion.

Jazz is what you get when you have too much musical intellect, and too little musical soul.

to me, it's like the stale jizz of musical masturbators.

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mortlock

jazz is all about soul..clearly you dont know jazz music..

mortlock

seriously ..are you going to try and argue the point that miles davis, john coltrane, sun ra, theonious monk, larry coryell, alan silva, charles mingus, anthony braxton, peter brotzmann dont have soul..and i just barely named a few people who popped into my head..theres a shit ton more..

Discö Rice

There's a lot of bullshit in any genre. While I don't necessarily think all the best players are jazz guys, I will say the best players are at least influenced by jazz one way or another, ESPECIALLY when it comes to drummers. However, I don't think you'll find many jazz players who are running home to tell their friends about the new St. Vitus record or blogging about the totally mind boggling lost Weedeater recordings.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

gatorsnot

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 02, 2012, 12:38:28 PM
Quote from: gatorsnot on January 02, 2012, 10:40:47 AM
FYI, big drums don't necessarily equate to loudness.

Correct, with the qualifier that the word "necessarily" is underscored, highlighted, italicized, and capitalized. You can't really say "high notes are louder than low notes." or vice versa.

Oops,  I should've just said it can depend on head, beater, and player.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on January 02, 2012, 11:27:06 PM
seriously ..are you going to try and argue the point that miles davis, john coltrane, sun ra, theonious monk, larry coryell, alan silva, charles mingus, anthony braxton, peter brotzmann dont have soul..and i just barely named a few people who popped into my head..theres a shit ton more..
When they play jazz, yeah. It's all like faking an orgasm, here's a scale, here's a scale, make a face, make another face, ooh yeah it's jazz.

chlorpromazine

Mentioning Bonham says it all. Any drummer worth their salt is going to know what you're talking about. You don't need to tell them what kind of gear to have. I wouldn't even really go as far as saying "no double bass", because you guys have heard Dixie Witch, right?

I have a couple of big kits, but I probably wouldn't respond to that ad because my favorite kit is in a standard configuration. I'm not going to tell a guitarist or bass player what guitar or amp to use and I'm not going to have anyone dictate to me which tools I use.

zachoff

Quote from: chlorpromazine on January 03, 2012, 10:47:10 AM
I have a couple of big kits, but I probably wouldn't respond to that ad because my favorite kit is in a standard configuration. I'm not going to tell a guitarist or bass player what guitar or amp to use and I'm not going to have anyone dictate to me which tools I use.

Like I said though, I'm just sick of wasting time... Ours and theirs.  If we were auditioning a bass player and the dude showed up with a 2x10 solid state combo it'd be a waste of time because it just wouldn't work.  The ad would say "must have a big rig, preferably with tubes".  Contrary to what a lot of folks seem to think... Gear matters.  Both of us have gone through tons of gear to find a sound we like and we're not going to compromise on a drummer that's not willing to change up their rig if they don't have the right sound.

Regardless, I get it.  The drummers on the forum hate the ad.  The non-drummers think it's fine.  Haha.

Discö Rice

Haha I don't hate the ad. I thought the original was well put. I'm excluded by it, but like i said, I respect your specificity.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: zachoff on January 03, 2012, 10:54:22 AM
Regardless, I get it.  The drummers on the forum hate the ad.  The non-drummers think it's fine.  Haha.
Don't drum, hate it ;D

Could also probably blow you away with a 50W solid state bass amp, but not a combo or a 2x10 so doesn't count either ;D

Discö Rice

Hemi has apparently been huffing paint for this thread.

Hemisaurus

Could be ;)

Srsly tho 50W into a horn can be pretty dang loud. One of my early rigs for recording involved a preamp, running into a mixer, then into one channel on a 50W receiver I've had since the 80's, into the cat perch there (see avatar). I daren't crank it indoors.

I do think 2x10 combos are of the worst invention, and should only be played by people who don't care what they sound like and plan to get DI'd anyway.

Discö Rice

You realize your ad also excludes this guy...

Hemisaurus

I've got that alarm clock, but that ain't me :)