Speakers with HIghest SPL rating?

Started by spookstrickland, February 08, 2011, 02:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

What is the highest SPL rating you have found for guitar speakers?  I think 104 was the highest I have seen.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

peyotepeddler

not sure

........and to anyone reading this post, that doesn't really matter, the higher the sensitivity the less watts it takes "to get loud", the lower the "more watts" it takes

in my experience, all loudspeakers get loud enough:)

dogfood

Eminence Wizards come in at 103 if'n my memory serves me.
Problem solving whiskey!

Hemisaurus

Define guitar speaker? I've got a pair of 12"s that are rated at 300W, they are what I'd call instrument speakers as they have a proper accordian edge.

Are you looking to match a reall powerful amp to a small cab, or make a regular amp as loud as possible?

spookstrickland

I want to make my little Sunn cab loud as possible :-)  I'm willing to give up a little tone for loud because it's a live rig only.

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 13, 2011, 10:25:12 PM
Define guitar speaker? I've got a pair of 12"s that are rated at 300W, they are what I'd call instrument speakers as they have a proper accordian edge.

Are you looking to match a reall powerful amp to a small cab, or make a regular amp as loud as possible?
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

If that's the case, you want the speakers with the best efficiency rating too, rather than just W/m rating. What power rating are you going for per driver or per cab?

spookstrickland

My cab has 1x12 and 1x10 and I'm looking to power it with 25 to 50 watts total.

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 14, 2011, 05:35:37 PM
If that's the case, you want the speakers with the best efficiency rating too, rather than just W/m rating. What power rating are you going for per driver or per cab?
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

If you go to http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ and click on Speaker Separates, you can access the specs of various Celestion speakers. I can't make a direct link, sorry.

You're not hitting your speakers with tons of watts, so you want efficient speakers as Hemisaurus said (sensitivity rating). I don't know tons about speakers but I think 100db sensitivity is considered average/good, so anything above that, the higher the better. Even 1 db makes a noticeable difference in loudness, when all other things are equal. If the Wizards are 103bd then that is loud...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

100 db sensitivity is the highest rating I found there in the Celestions that Avatar have... a few were lower... 95 or 96 was the lowest rating I think. So if you have choice between a speaker with say 98db and 100 db sensitivity, the 100db speaker will be louder with your amp.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

spookstrickland

Well I have been looking High and low and found the Redcoat Wizzards to be about the highest at 103db but I also found an article that said do to the way things are measured that some speakers are about 3db higher than actual db so maybe the wizzards are just 100db like the celestions.

I'm really digging the Celestion G12H it's 100dbspl.  I used to have a g12t75 in my old 50 marshall combo and it was loud as fuck so jumping up to 100 db should be insane plus they say the g12h's are just insanely fat and chunky sounding.  I just need to find a 10 that is 100 db to match with or do I want slightly less db for the 10 because it will be brighter and that might make it seem louder than the 12?
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org