Any experience with peavey 1810 cab?

Started by hashbrowns, January 02, 2012, 04:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

Found a cheapass deal on a peavey bass cab with an 18 and two 10's. Anyone used one of these for guitar or bass for that matter? I thought it'd be a rad cab on the cheap as it'll be able to handle my amps wattage no probs and it's relatively small and portable.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Corey Y

It was my main bass cab for years and it served me well enough, but you could easily do better at a very modest price on the used market. The 18 sounds pretty flabby IMO, especially if you use any distortion, mine hated tube amps. It's also heavy, bulky and awkward to move. I got some DIY tiltback action going with some casters mounted on the side and a handicap bathroom bar, but before that I toured with it and it was a pain in the ass to move it in and out of the van every night with two people. I bought mine for about $100 and it was in good shape, so it was worth it for the use I got out of it, but there's so many good cabs out there for dirt cheap used.

Hemisaurus

;D

Hemisaurus

Yeah, I re-read what you said and laughed, this thing is a monster in weight and a pussy in watts handling, mine is an 1820 and is rated at a whopping 400W, the 1810 is half that, I found this for you

this is not photoshopped, an 18 and 2x10 with a 200W handling spec. And like Corey says, not only is it heavy, it's bulky, there's no easy way to life it with the built in handles, it's worse than my EV sub, mine is 20" deep, 26" wide and 36" high, there is no real easy way to pick it up. If you're at the 6'10" mark, and built like a brick outhouse, this might be the cab for you ;)

Metal and Beer

I tend to agree with these fellas' assessments as well...if it's super cheap, like 50-100 bucks it might be worth having..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Yeah, under $100 it's a deal, you might just cut the 10" box off, but that would be fraught as the handles bisect the two separate compartments, might be easier to buy cheap and then build new boxes for each of the components.

Corey Y

I did try mine with guitar once, right before I sold it. Sounded like poop, honestly. I never ran it through just the 18 though, like Hemi said.

If you need something heavy to drop on someone you don't like, Wile E. Coyote style, it would be worth $100. Assuming you already have some sort of elaborate rope and pulley system at your disposal.

hashbrowns

Well I'm using it for guitar with a butcher and thats only 120 watts so, while 200 watts is pathetic for a bass cab I'm thinking it might serve my purpose. Also just how heavy is this thing? What I meant by portable is that the car we take to gigs is way to small to fit a 412 in the back whereas I'm pretty sure we could make this sucker fit. So far this is the cheapest cab that I've found period. Does it really suck to the point that it wouldn't even be decent enough to get me by until I can save up and buy a righteous 412?
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Hemisaurus

Did you get the 20"x26"36" bit? It's massive, a 4x12 is much more compact. Those little Marshall MG412's are tiny by comparison. I checked Peavey's website to see if I could get some idea of the weight, but they had no docs on it. Fucking heavy is what I'd call it, heavier than any of my other cabs, way heavier than any 4x12. Go see it, if it's easy, it's kinda hard to describe until you try to lift one, take someone who can carry you home after.

It's an OK cab for low mofo.

OK found the weight spec 122lbs! :o

SpaceTrucker

I'd say its around the 110 pound mark. but thats how heavy it feels, its very awkward to move because its so big around. Deeper than it is wide and not much taller. But Its great if you don't plan on moving it around. I personally think its great, and The reason its only rated at 200W is because the 10in speakers are flimsy crap. The 18 alone can easily handle 250 watts, infact I think thats the rms of the speaker.  As for guitar, dude, it isn't practical but it sounds decent with my guitar(and peavey vtm120), by itself, With a band I have no idea.

Worth it on the cheap just for the Black widow 18.

hashbrowns

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 02, 2012, 05:47:00 PM
Did you get the 20"x26"36" bit? It's massive, a 4x12 is much more compact. Those little Marshall MG412's are tiny by comparison. I checked Peavey's website to see if I could get some idea of the weight, but they had no docs on it. Fucking heavy is what I'd call it, heavier than any of my other cabs, way heavier than any 4x12. Go see it, if it's easy, it's kinda hard to describe until you try to lift one, take someone who can carry you home after.

It's an OK cab for low wattage jams using the 18" only, but I would not call it easy or portable, it's a big mofo.

OK found the weight spec 122lbs! :o

Shit I didn't see those dimensions in that post. Well fuck I guess I'll keep looking thanks for the heads up you guys this would've been a huge pain in the ass. Good lookin.

Lumpy

It's huge, heavy and it sounds like poop (IMO). Hat trick!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 02, 2012, 05:22:59 PM
Yeah, under $100 it's a deal, you might just cut the 10" box off, but that would be fraught as the handles bisect the two separate compartments, might be easier to buy cheap and then build new boxes for each of the components.
I'd like to correct this, I was mistaken. The crossover and handles are only in the top part of the cab, the 18" is completely sealed (except for the ports on the front), so you could cut about 11.5" from the height of this cab, by removing the section with the 10"s. That said, you'd be left with quite a crappy looking top piece as it's made with that compressed fibre crap Peavey used on the baffles of their speakers, rather than tolex covered ply they used on the outside part of the cabinet.

Hemisaurus

They did make a bigger one, with the same spec!

SpaceTrucker

Hemisaurus

That one's for sale, check the stlouis craigslist. ;)

hayseed

i had a 1510 T-fest(2x15s, 2x10s, 3 tweeters). it was huge! Sounded fantastic through the Sunn Coliseum 300 i was using. Needless to say I only paid $100 for the beast and it was well worth it. The downside of it was the size and weight made it a little difficult to gig with.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

Yep. My 1820 is leaving the basement for the first time tomorrow, and it ain't ever coming back. ;D

hashbrowns reminded me I wanted rid of it.

Hemisaurus

It's gone woohoo ;D Carried it out the basement by myself.

canyonwall

Just found this board.  I ran a peavey 1810 years ago with my SVT and 77 Stingray Bass.  Amazing sound that I have never forgotten.  That 18 combined with the double 10s and the Ray.... carpet bombed every room in a good way with quality sound.  I sold that cabinet years ago but recently found another one on Craigslist.  I have paired it with an Eden WT 550.  Sounds good but this amp is begging for an updated cabinet.....so is my back!  I saw the post on here about using a bathroom handicapped bar with the cabinet and I already know I am going to put it on wheels