Main Menu

Anyone here gig an Orange OR15?

Started by OR73, May 24, 2014, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OR73

I have an OR15 I run through an old 1980 Marshal 4x12 cab, and it's plenty loud. BUT, I am bandless at the moment (working on getting something together)  and I was wondering if anyone had gigged one and whether or not they ended up having to mic the cab?   It's no big deal to have to mic it, was just interested.

Oh and, how do you set your OR15 up?
I' rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

liquidsmoke

If it's loud enough relative to the other instruments you should be good. Another 4x12 would provide more volume. If you play with another guitarist who is cranking a 100+ watt head your 15 watts might not cut it.

OR73

well, yeah,  I was just looking for some input by folks who have gigged them live and how their particular situation played out.

Plus find other folks who play these awesome amps!   ;D

Metal and Beer

15W in a 4x12 is gonna seem plenty loud by itself, especially if you haven't ever put that up against a hard rock/metally drummer. You might get away with it in certain situations--great PA/soundguy/room, mellow(er) psych type jams, etc.

For the Heavy? Liquidsmoke covered ya, you'll likely vanish against "normal" stage rigs
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

liquidsmoke

Yeah part of it depends what speakers are in your cab, your pedals, pickups, eq settings, etc.

I hear this unit is pretty loud for 15 watts so you might be up around the volume of some 30+ watters.

Don't mean to talk the fool considering I don't have one though.

OR73

It's running through a 1980  Marshall 1960 cab with the original G12-65's  (97db efficiency rating)   It's loud!   But the last time I was in a band I never used anything below 40 watts so was a little dubious if it could stand up to drumming . but hell, I guess you can mic anything when it comes down to it right?

VOLVO)))

It's strange. I have a blackheart little giant (5w) that I was using all cranked up and it did fine against a drummer and other guitarist. It really cuts, so perceived volume is there.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I'm not sure, but isn't the wattage typically rated "clean"? (So if you run your bantam head cranked open into distortion, you're getting more than the rated wattage).

???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

OR73

Yep, wattage is gauged at the point of "breakup" then  usually rounded up or  down to the nearest neat and clean number (I had an old amp tech tell me he had "50 watt" Marshall heads that ranged from 38-65 watts on his bench)  so the actual peak wattage could be a LOT more depending on the gain stages ...etc

Plus, like everyone has said, speaker efficiency and the amount of air yer moving too. 

everdrone

it is definitely audible, but the reason for more watts is for some low end

if u dont care about low end and dynamics in that respect then it is fine

other guitarist can turn down and save ur ears :)

also I got an angled speaker stand, trust me no one is gonna want to hear your hundred watt amp that loud in the band, they are focused on their music too

the diddler

I'd like to get an OR15 for home/studio use but wouldn't expect it to keep up in any kind of band setting I'd be involved with - excluding of course the almost incomprehensible thought that you'd be able to mic/monitor everything just right, every time.  But then, I guess it depends on what you're playing and who you're playing with.  Awhile back, I tried running the mini recto (25w) through 2 4x12 cabinets, at band practice, and could almost be audible over the bass & drums- but it still sucked.

VOLVO)))

I desperately wanted one of those mini dual recs. They're fucking adorable.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

They sure are cute! But like a grand, right? That's too much. One could score an early 2-channel Recto for that kind of cabbage.
poop.

the diddler

Yeah, I think I had just got a bonus at work or something when I ordered the mini mesa- it's a fucking cool little amp for sure.