Main Menu

Electric 5-string banjo

Started by RacerX, July 15, 2013, 02:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Saw a tour flyer of Melissa Etheridge holding one of these; had to look into it:

Pretty cool!
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Goldtone makes decent instruments. Pretty good quality. Id try to find one of those used of you were goonna go for it. People buy things like banjos and dobros, realize they arent gonna l;earn and then sell for cheap.

I have an old 5 string banjo I bought at a thrift store for $50. I only ever learned to play deliverence and the theme to beverly hillbillys on it. The god damn thing is a bitch to play well. anyway. it hangs on my wall and I had this singer come over for something esle. he's from virginia, he see the thing hangin on the wall, pulls it down off the wall and proceeeds to claw hammer ape on the thing, wailing away.

we had a pretty good banjo player on this forum at one time too right? was that Worthless Willie or someone else? motherfucker could play, I remember that much.

I have a six string banjo also..or Banjitar if you insist. That one is alot easier to get the hang of for a guitarist.
I think Neil Young plays one on some of his solo acoustic numbers.

banjopos, mandolins, steel guitars....all very co instrument to fuck around on. get a cheap one to start and have some fun.

RacerX

Yeah, I'll eventually get some sort of banjo-type instrument, but nothing that pricey. A mandolin could be cool, too.
Livin' The Life.

The Bandit

I don't see how people play the mandolin with that tiny neck and all the strings so close together.

When I think mandolin I think of the Louvin Bros.

RacerX

I'd love to get one of these; regular mandos don't have much sustain or range of volume, but the resonators are somewhat better in those respects:

Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

mando is fun. I admit to feeling a bit like one of the spinal tap elves when I play one tho.

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on July 16, 2013, 01:19:52 PM
mando is fun. I admit to feeling a bit like one of the spinal tap elves when I play one tho.

heh. Have you ever played a reso mandolin?
Livin' The Life.

FullCustom

Chovie D

yes Ive played a reso mando. They are usually very expensive and they are heavy. I actually prefer the sound of a wood mando. they have little reso banjos too.

somehow I ended up with this national resophonic "catalogue". Its pretty much the coolest guitar "catalogue' ever.

dig those reso-ukes Racer?  ;)

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on July 16, 2013, 01:57:47 PM
yes Ive played a reso mando. They are usually very expensive and they are heavy. I actually prefer the sound of a wood mando. they have little reso banjos too.

somehow I ended up with this national resophonic "catalogue". Its pretty much the coolest guitar "catalogue' ever.

dig those reso-ukes Racer?  ;)

Nice!

I suppose I could deal with a reso-anything. I grow fonder of the wide sonic palette of these instruments every day.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I wouldnt mind owning a reso finger style guitar. all I have is a dobro, square neck, the kind you play with a bar.

Thats a great sounding instrument. Goldtone Beard Model. they are about $800 maybe?

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on July 16, 2013, 03:55:19 PM
I wouldnt mind owning a reso finger style guitar. all I have is a dobro, square neck, the kind you play with a bar.

Thats a great sounding instrument. Goldtone Beard Model. they are about $800 maybe?

My no-name Chinese round neck plays nice finger style, but I've got the action/string tension high enough that I can play her lap style, too. Would like a real square neck eventually, also a baritone resonator and a 12-string.

I'm hooked.  :(
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I love the squareneck, amazing sound.

RacerX

mmmm, baritone, too. Cindy CD rules.
Livin' The Life.