Main Menu

ukulele building?

Started by Lip, March 07, 2014, 08:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lip

So - I recently started working at a school for kids with developmental disabilities and emotional disturbances - they have a 'tech' class - a wood shop - and the instructor is a really cool guy. He had a few sheets of Baltic birch leaning against the wall which prompted quite the series of discussions between us. His current project is that he is trying to build a functional ukulele. He built it with a set neck - but the neck is slightly shorter than it was supposed to be - I'm not entirely sure why - it could have been that the initial pieces that he is using would not accommodate the suggested length for the neck. In any case - he used a fret calculator that he was able to find online - but after building it - the tonality was completely off... My thought is that this is due to the fact that the neck was shorter - which would mean he would have to shift the frets the exact length that the neck is short...
I know there are a handful of 'luthiers' - either actual luthiers or hobbyists on here - would you guys mind giving me some direction? Maybe even include some links? Thank you is advance!!
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

RacerX

I'm no luthier, but if this can be fixed without refretting, I'd guess the easiest way would be to move the bridge back (assuming there's enough room to match the scale of the neck he's already built & set in).

The 12th fret should be exactly halfway between the nut & the bridge.

Use the harmonics at the 12th & 5th frets to check.

Livin' The Life.

showdown

Yup, moving the bridge is the easiest option.

Lip

Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...